Just my two cents worth

Options
luv2ash
luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
I am always wondering why people are always quick to run to a gym and join when they decide to start a new "diet."

During my weightloss journey, the first thing I decided was to never join a gym---I just am not comfortable in a gym, never was. I feel like people are critical of every move I make and laugh at the fat girl who thinks she knows what she is doing.

Besides that, joining a gym can hurt the pocket---

I decided what was best for my journey was to do all my exercise at home--I take this very seriously---I set up an area in my basement with all my exercise DVDs, and all my equpment-my music, my bands, dumbells, straps, remotes, you name it. Going down there to the basement is just the same as getting in the car and driving to the gym.

I realize this is not best for everyone--and everyone is different---but for those who may find it difficult to join a gym because of the expense and feel that they won't succeed without it---its just not necessary. You can do it at home just as well. Besides, I have decided to take the money I would use on a gym and put it toward my weight loss program that has afforded me great success---WITHOUT A GYM.

My main point is.....don't always think that you HAVE to join a gym as step #1 in a changing your lifestyle, unless of course, you truly want to---me? its just not for me. Hope that makes sense. Heck, you don't even need DVDs. You can do walk, run outdoors, indoors in place, do calisthenics. It just does not have to be that difficult.

JUST SAYING :)

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I agree that that works out great for DVD workouts and some basic home equipment. But I like to do both cardio and strength, and to vary my exercises every few days/day to day so my body doesn't get stagnantly used to the same thing over and over. So, out of curiosity, I looked into what good quality machines/a decent assortment of equipment would cost (a treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical, and a universal weight machine that had all the right stuff for the strength work outs I do) and then did some math based on my monthly gym payment compared to what all of the machines would cost. (remember, these are higher quality machines, not the stuff people review by saying it's usuable for what you paid for it.) And, even assuming I didn't live on a second floor apartment where I couldn't actually use any of it in anyway, it would cost me the same as going to the gym for 27+ years. lol

I do know exactly what you mean though. I hate having another living soul anywhere near me while I workout. It irks me to no end. But until I win the lotto and can buy a house and outfit a home gym, the actual gym/communal fitness center is where I have to be to get my workouts in. I do look forward to better weather so I can do some running on the local trail and get some time away from the gym at least. :D
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I don't use machines--even though I have a treadmill, a stationery bike. I wear a HRM and my heart rate is always up there as I do my kickboxing videos, which by the way, were rated #1 best workout by yahoo. So not only am I getting a good cardiovascular workout, but I am exercising my whole body at the same time.