Support

Options
Ok - its OBVIOUS I'm a stress eater. I was doing AMAZING yesterday until I went to a board meeting...I could feel the tension & anxiety build as the meeting went on. It just got worse and worse until I not only had knots in both of my shoulders/neck but head a stress headache to boot. The FIRST thing I thought of when I walked out of the door was "I want ICE CREAM NOW" - picked up my son and headed to DQ. Got home, ate my blizzard. Should have been fine with that...but NO, I had to have a peanut butter sandwich...WHY? Your guess is as good as mine.

So, do you have any suggestions on ways I can keep from heading straight for the food?

Replies

• jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    We all go through this. One good thing is you not only recognized it, but you know what triggered it. It is a lesson for all of us to learn to recognize what causes our stress eating. Don't beat yourself up...just keep trudging along. Maybe write the incident in a notebook so you can watch for it again. Thank you for sharig and helping to keep this in all our forefronts. As an emotional eater, happy sad stress whatever I have to watch for these things as well.
  • atessieri
    atessieri Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    honestly everyone has these days but what I do is keep a stock of smart ones desserts in my freezer and I feel like as long as you document it in your calories its ok and just try to do better next time but dont stress it
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Try carrying healthy snacks around with you and then on your drive to DQ grab one of them and start eating it and hopefully by the time you get there you will not want it any more :smile:
  • SavannaN
    SavannaN Posts: 148
    Options
    my suggestion would be to try to retrain your body that every time you feel the need to eat out of stress, go for a walk or some sort of exercise. Hope that helps, and good for you for recognizing where your weaknesses are :)
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Write down (journal) your feelings. Call a girlfriend or significant other and vent. Sometimes just getting the frustration out helps us not to put things in. Next time get your son, put on some music you love and dance out your stress or take a walk. It is not easy but you just have to choose other things. Rear view mirror principle. How did you feel after you ate the blizzard? Looking back now were you proud of how you handled it? Try to think about how you feel later when you do such and such instead of how you feel in the here and now. Good luck!