Any Peace Corps folks out there?

Options
Since yesterday was the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps (thanks JFK!) I thought I would see if there are any RPCV's on this site, or parents with kids serving.
I lived in Zambia, Southern Africa for 3 years (1999-2002) doing rural fish farming and other odd projects (small animal husbandry, tree nurseries, AIDS/HIV, sunflower oil production).
Eating carbs for three years really made me plump up! And I finally took control when I found this site in 2007.

Replies

• Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I'm hoping to go. I have to finish the application, but I'm waiting to hear back from jobs I've applied to. Selfish I know :( but I have to get my student loans under control.
  • healthyaf
    Options
    hey! I'm a RPCV from southern Africa also!
    I served in Lesotho from 2006-2008 doing community health promotion and HIV prevention and support programming.
    I just moved back from the motherland a few months ago so I'm on a mission to get all that papa and salty meat off of my bones.
    good luck on your journey.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    hey! I'm a RPCV from southern Africa also!
    I served in Lesotho from 2006-2008 doing community health promotion and HIV prevention and support programming.
    I just moved back from the motherland a few months ago so I'm on a mission to get all that papa and salty meat off of my bones.
    good luck on your journey.

I had a friend that was PC Lesotho in 2004-2006 (I think). Might have been 2003 - 2005. She was doing tourism. Last name Fulkerson. Ring a bell? Boyfriend Jess.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to go. I have to finish the application, but I'm waiting to hear back from jobs I've applied to. Selfish I know :( but I have to get my student loans under control.

It could take up to a year once you finish the application, so good luck with the jobs. They defer your loans while in PC...
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options

It could take up to a year once you finish the application, so good luck with the jobs. They defer your loans while in PC...

The year is going to be worth it. I was told otherwise about the loans because they were not issued through the government.
  • healthyaf
    Options
    hmm, doesn't sound familiar. we probably just missed each other.
  • khrystyna82
    khrystyna82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey im a somewhat recent RPCV from Ukraine (2008-2010). Although I loved living there but I missed California so much. I am happy to be home.