Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What can I expect?

Hey guys,

I've asked around before, and wanted your general feedback. I've got a pretty significant amount of weight to lose - over 100 lbs. I'm going about it the right way - eating well, exercising (mainly cardio right now, but will also increase to weights as well, drinking plenty of water, healthy calorie range). I'm 33 years old, and am not in any sort of race to get the weight off. I want to go about this healthily. I have been a large gal my entire life, so it's been a life long struggle.

Excess skin isn't something that deters me from losing weight, but I'm wondering what I can expect? Honestly, I'm okay with not having a totally flat tummy, but I really don't want to look all out of proportion to the point that it almost looks *better* if I am a bit bigger. :P I know losing weight slowly, drinking plenty of water, and the like can help.

What have your experiences been? Does strength training combined with cardio help? Are there things I can do to limit this from happening? Does age play a role? Anything you guys could provide would be helpful. Thanks! xxoo

Replies

• amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    I lost 114lbs over 3 years, by working out and eating right and I have tons of excess skin. The worst is my tummy but with that said I have also had 4 children all over 9lbs. I think everyone is different and they say the slower you lose the less excess skin you will have but I found that not to be true for me.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    This was a big topic last night at my pre-op weight group...

We WILL have tons of skin...The skin isnt tonable...It isnt like muscle it loses its elasticity and unlike a rubber band it just wont work...I am going to do my best but sadly my tummy is going to be the problem...but to get 15 years of life added to the end of my life by not being obese...being able to buy gorgeous clothing...I am willing to suffer it and have sex with the lights off...

Just a thought.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    I'm wondering about the same thing. From what I learned, it's got a lot to do with the elasticity of your skin. It's different for each person. Sounds like you are going about it the same way I am...slow weight loss and I just added strength/resistance training to my exercise along with Zumba for cardio.

I also make sure I lotion myself up after a shower to keep my skin soft. Hope all this helps!!