peri menopause, how has it effected you ladies?

Options
I'm waiting to have a process of exams as I'm so fatigued, struggled to lose some weight only to quickly gain it back again. How are you ladies doing in this weight loss journey & have any of you found natural/whole foods to help you balance out?

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi there.....I"m 45 and experiencing the lovely affects of pre-menupause. My energy level most days is so low that I don't feel like exercising but since joining here almost 3 weeks ago, I make myself do it anyway. I found for me that eating 3 smaller meals 300-400 calories and 2 snacks 200-300 calories with protein in every meal seems to boost my energy level some. I try to eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies too. Are you taking vitamin supplements? Well hope this helps some. Feel free to add me~
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago, so I don't know for sure if I'm in peri-menopause or if I've alreayd passed through "the change". I do know that my energy level isn't what I'd like it to be and my moods are a bit erratic now and then. I have noticed the mood thing calming down, which is why I think I might be through.
    I do believe that along with these hormone changes, my metabolism has all but stopped. I've gained 6 lbs in the past month without changing anything about my eating or activity habits. That's why I'm here now, I have to change something!

One funny side note, a few years ago, before my daughters grew up and moved out, they were watching Oprah one day while I was cooking dinner. They both came running in to the kitchen, all excited. "MOM - We figured out what's wrong with you, You're in peri-menopause!! Like this was some earth shattering solution to a problem that every one had apparently noticed - EXCEPT me. I didn't know anything was wrong. We still laugh about that. Gotta love teenagers!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have had the peri symptoms for the last 8 years or so. I have found that avoiding the processed foods, eatting whole foods, vit D and B complex help me stay balanced. When I start feeling the "mood swings" start I take a St. John's Wort cap for 3-4 days. I keep a celing fan going on low above the bed, but also have a heated mattress pad for when I get cold. My doc advised me to stay away from soy products and any medications that have hormones due to another medical issue. I am kind of at the mercy of my hormones when it comes to weight loss, I will lose 5-15 pounds in 1-2 weeks, and then plateau for 2-3 weeks even though everything stays the same. Before MFP I would get fed up with not losing 2-3 weeks in a row and give up after a while. So far it's been just over 7 months on MFP and everything is going well.

Good Luck!
  • peaches6311
    peaches6311 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what is wrong with me. I wear a GoWear Fit and weigh and track my food, but when I hit a certain weight, I start putting it back on (and a few more) no matter what I do. My periods will go all whacky, where I either have one every 45 days or every 14 days. Then everything goes back to normal (after I have put the weight back on) and I start the whole process over again. I can't give up, but I don't know that what I am doing is working either.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    At 46 (in July!) I am totally in denial about this evil thing called peri-menapause! :noway:
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The RD / Nutritionist I saw today would like to work with me and try to alleviate my pre-menopausal symptoms with nutrition instead of some of the other treatment options. Sounds like a plan! I'll keep you posted!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It is challenging, isn't it? It seems like no matter what I do, I can't seem to lose weight. A friend of mine and I were talking about this after spin class this morning. She said she'd heard the weight around the middle come on as a way of protecting you from hip fractures later. I joked with her and said, oh great-we get bumpers! :smile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    It is challenging, isn't it? It seems like no matter what I do, I can't seem to lose weight. A friend of mine and I were talking about this after spin class this morning. She said she'd heard the weight around the middle come on as a way of protecting you from hip fractures later. I joked with her and said, oh great-we get bumpers! :smile:

So funny!!
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options

So funny!!

That bumper comment made me laugh!!! At least we can still laugh about our issues!!!

But it is very challenging for me. I keep trying - and I am currently still trying to do it naturally without the help of hormones. I avoid the fried, processed and so called BAD foods. I take my vitamins, extra b-12 and calcium with D, also I mix in soy and falxseed but not on a daily basis. I drink a lot of water and green tea and I try to exercise everyday. I also keep cold packs to put into my pillow case for the really bad night sweats.

What does everyone else do to help ease these issues?
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    You gals are great!! i'm so encouraged by your responses! I'm always self diagnosing and researching like mad online, love that! Considering that yes, my periods have gotten a little harder & due to inconvenience, I quit filling those capsules with brewer's yeast(best source of vit b's), I am feeling very fatigued. Today, I will eat my beets & fill my gel caps :D These are my blog thoughts this a.m:

"I went to a very well recommended endocrinologist/nutritionist yesterday. BTW, I live in Mexico. after sleeping on it, the diet she recommended doesn't set well with me. I had to go to the doctor to see what the names of the tests were in Spanish to have some blood work done, which i did this a.m. and will get the results tomorrow. Someone will help me figure out what it means. I will cut back my calories but I know myself. 1200 calories may make my hair fall out at this time in my life. she recommends lunch meat & artificial sweetener over raw local honey, & drink coffee before bed??? HeLLO!...that's just not right. She didn't have any of my test results before recommending a very low calorie diet after telling her I was very fatigued. It is a diet for this culture. For those who are uneducated about healthy eating & don't exercise. Yes, it's better than what they may normally eat but for someone who's already taken a dive into not eating processed food & healthy eating, this won't work. Especially for someone like myself, who can burn 400+ calories riding her mountain bike up gnarly cobblestone hills for 40 min & works out in a home gym for 60-65 min. 3 times a week. That's a lot more energy burned than dancing with enthusiasm for 30 min a day! lol"

anyone interested in reading my experience on my blog yesterday, feel free to check it out and leave your comment:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/funnygirl0940/view/i-met-with-the-nutritionist-endocrinologist-today-wow-77585

Love you all!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options

WORD!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options

{{giggles}} oh yay....something to look forward to...bumpers! lol

I am not sure what my deal is....I used to be so regular now who knows when my TOM will come
    Feel free to add me.....
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to eat a very clean diet. I buy mostly organic foods and have eliminated most processed foods (with the exception of a stray bit of chocolate now and then). I'm trying not to go the hormone route but not sleeping is tough!
    Do you all wake up during the night and find yourselves awake for several hours? Makes it so hard to go to work or get in a good workout!