Denver/ Boulder, CO

Options
ka_42
ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
I am tentatively planning my first vacation! I'm so excited!! We are hoping to go in mid- August. My boyfriend, dog and myself will be traveling to the Denver area. We are very limited on funds. The things we are hoping to do are: camp, hike, and mountain bike (well, my boyfriend will mountain bike while I may find myself shopping during that time!) I'm also pretty interested in good food! We plan to drive from Kansas. It should take 8 hours each way. I hope we don't get lost! We aren't the best with directions and driving together! Fortunately, lodging is arranged because we get a discount from the hotel my boyfriend works at. Any advise on attractions, or planning this vacation?

Thank you all so much for any help!

Replies

• 352nkelley
    Options
    Denver is awesome! You will love it!
  • MechM
    MechM Posts: 4
    Options
    Red Rocks Amplitheater by Denver is an excellent place to see concerts. It is a beautiful outdoor venue. We fly out just for concerts. You could always check their schedule in a couple months and maybe hit up a concert one night on your trip. LOVE it there. Plus, my favorite Mexican restaurant is Morrison Inn at Morrison Colorado.(by entrance to Red Rocks)
  • naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know about the Red Rock state park. I would definately go there and hike it is beautiful! Other than that I'm not much help, I've only been for a concert ;)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    There are sooo many things to see and do. If you're really looking for mountains and shopping I recommend driving up to Estes Park. Otherwise I'd just check out Rocky Mountain National Park and do what you can. How long will you be there?

Because there's the zoo, and water world, and 16th street mall, and Cherry Creek mall, and Fort Collins (personally I don't like the crowds of Denver and usually just visit Fort Collins), and Poudre Canyon for camping.

Lots of options! It's all beautiful.
  • ka_42
    Options
    There are sooo many things to see and do. If you're really looking for mountains and shopping I recommend driving up to Estes Park. Otherwise I'd just check out Rocky Mountain National Park and do what you can. How long will you be there?

Because there's the zoo, and water world, and 16th street mall, and Cherry Creek mall, and Fort Collins (personally I don't like the crowds of Denver and usually just visit Fort Collins), and Poudre Canyon for camping.

Lots of options! It's all beautiful.

Well... I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking 4-5 days. I noticed an aquarium in Denver that sounded appealing. Other than that I am mostly looking for hiking trails that allow dogs. Unfortunately, Rocky Mountain National Park doesn't allow dogs on their trails. I'm not really interested in skiiing/ winter sports. The hotel that we will most likely be staying at will be in Boulder. We are not up for crowds either and that's why I don't think I want to get a hotel in Denver. SQUEEeee! I'm so excited. Thanks for your input!
  • ka_42
    Options
    bumping for more views :flowerforyou:
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Correct, Rocky Mountain National Park does not allow dogs. There are some great trails just outside the park boundaries I hike with my hounds. Check out a book called Canine Colorado. I reference this book when looking for new trails for dog hiking.

I take out-of-towners up to Mount Evans for a quick mountain experience. Usually you will see Mountain Goats on top. Elk, deer, Bison and sometimes Big Horns along the route from Denver to Idaho Springs and up to Mount Evans.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You have to have breakfast at the greek diner on Colfax Ave, Pete's Diner. They have the best home fries in town and the rest of the menu is great too. Sit at the counter to watch the cooks whip out the orders in record time...quite entertaining and very affordable! I lived in Denver and then up near Breckenridge in the mountains. You can't begin to do all that colorado offers in a week or a month so just enjoy your trip and plan to go back again.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Eldorado Canyon state park (just south of Boulder) allows dogs on some of their Trails. Someone else recommended Poudre Canyon - I LOVE that area - it's not too far from Fort Collins, and usually isn't too horribly overrun with tourists.(NOt sure about their policy on dogs & the trails). I think dogs are allowed on the main trails in the Sand Dunes National Park, but that's more South-West colorado - not too close to the denver/boulder area.

Here's some websites about dog-friendly hiking in CO.
    http://www.colorado-hiking-vacations.com/dog-friendly-hikes.html
    http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/trails/state/colorado/
    http://www.colorado.com/Articles.aspx?aid=42114
    http://dogtime.com/dog-friendly-hiking-trails.html

I'd check out the Colorado State Parks home page - there are various parks near Denver/Boulder and it can give you lots of good info. I know the Cherry Creek Reservoir allows dogs (there are some hiking trails in that park)
    http://parks.state.co.us/Pages/HomePage.aspx
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    When are you planning to go?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Chautauqua Park in Boulder if dog-friendly too. :smile:
  • ka_42
    Options
    You all are amazing!!! Thank you so much! :smile: I'm thinking we will go sometime in August!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Evergreen is a great place to go. There is a cute little place to stay along the river. I can't remember the name right now but they are cute little cabins. There is a lot of hiking in the area and it is central to the mountains and Denver. I would avoid the aquarium. It really isn't worth the money. For sure hit Red Rocks even if you can't make a concert. There is a fabulous little restaraunt in Morrison my friend owns called Beso de Artes. They have a beautiful patio and awesome spanish food. Another great free thing to do is to go tube the river in Lyons. It is right over by Boulder. I obviously live here and we are really outdoorsy. Feel free to pm me if you want.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    You have to have breakfast at the greek diner on Colfax Ave, Pete's Diner. They have the best home fries in town and the rest of the menu is great too. Sit at the counter to watch the cooks whip out the orders in record time...quite entertaining and very affordable! I lived in Denver and then up near Breckenridge in the mountains. You can't begin to do all that colorado offers in a week or a month so just enjoy your trip and plan to go back again.

OMG!! My husband grew up in Denver and went to East High...which is right next door to Pete's! He lived there while in school :laugh: and still loves it. I can't eat there really because I am a vegetarian.

To the OP...try Watercourse restaurant....if you like vegetarian food. They do Vegan ho-ho's (like hostess cakes!) and have the best gravy in town (vegan too). I actually think the Aquarium is so so...try the Museum of Nature and Science, the Art Museum, the Zoo...City Park is even a decent place to stroll around with your dog (s). Boulder is gorgeous, you won't want to leave. So much outdoor activitiy and entertainment. Enjoy...I love living here :drinker:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    To the OP...try Watercourse restaurant....if you like vegetarian food. They do Vegan ho-ho's (like hostess cakes!) and have the best gravy in town (vegan too).

Watercourse rocks! It's not necessarily going to be a super healthy, low-calorie meal or anything like that, though... just vegetarian. I've liked everything I've had there.