How often did/do you weigh yourself when you're pregnant???

Options
Obviously this is a question for the ladies. How often did you weigh yourself when you were pregnant? I'm trying to strike that balance of not freaking out about diet/exercise (got really sick the past few weeks and all I could stomach were carbs, carbs, carbs) but not letting myself go because I'm pregnant. I've found weighing myself has been helping, but I've been doing it almost every morning. Is that OK? How often did you weigh yourself when you were pregnant? And do you think it helped or hurt your goal of a healthy pregnancy without getting crazy obsessive?

Replies

• KimKoz
    KimKoz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't remember exactly but if I had to guess I'm sure I checked weekly. My 2 pregnancies were totally different though. The first I gained 30 total - No joke the last 3 weeks I gained 5 a week.. I was loving it, thinking I was doing great on the weight scale then those last 3 weeks hit. My doctor was shocked but it just have just been my body. I ate the same. Thankfully in a healthy way my son came early.. Can't imagine 3 more weeks of 5 lbs a week

The 2nd came on fast. Probably 15 in just the 1st trimester.. also different job less active. but once those quick 15 came on I really slowed down and gained 33 total.

I'm not sure weighing yourself daily is going to help. What happens if you see a huge increase in a day, will it help or hurt? I'm thinking I'd stick to weekly if I was pregnant now.

Good luck wishing you a happy 9 months.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i tried really hard not to worry about it when i was pregnant the health of you and the baby is the only thing that should matter, eat smart stay as active as possible and dont worry about the scale until you get to the dr's for check ups..... congrats :)
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I am just commenting because I want to see what people are saying :) Congrats!
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I NEVER weighed myself when I was pregnant....only when I went in for my check up and I HAD to.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I had a chart I compared to weekly. For the most part I was a little over, but I was still working out (jogging until 30 weeks, walking daily after that) and the midwives said my weight looked good. I ended up gaining 40 lbs exactly, but 20 of it came off in thee first 2 weeks after she was born.
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    I only did it on my doctor visits. I never checked at home. Doctors say's its a bad time to check your health, diet and excerise while pregnant. There's nothing you can do but watch what you eating without over or under eating for the health of the child.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself probably every week. sometimes more, sometimes less. But more than what i am gaining or not gaining, I go by how much I am eating and what i am eating. I don't need my cal count -600 or -1000 daily (sometimes is OK) so I just try to keep the overeating under control. It can be in pregnancy that you're not gaining because you're pregnant and your body needs it - you're gaining because you're pigging out! :smile: That's not healthy either. I don't obsess over what I weigh though, just "worry" about what I am eating.

I actually weighed in and logged it today. I'm up 12lbs so far - hoping for only about 10 more, but I have a feeling it will be more like 15, especially if I don't lay off the ice cream :laugh:. Some of that gain is hard to stomach, since I know it's not all baby stuff - I can see some of it fat on my hips. :grumble: and I know how hard that is to try to get rid of. I didn't own a scale or exercise last time and I gained almost 50.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i never weighed myself in my pregnancies....but i should have cos if i'd realised just how much i gained i;d have been more careful!(i gained 50lbs in 2pregnancies...fell with my son 3months after having my daughter)
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Only at the Doctors. Never weighed at home when pregnant.
  • Brighteyessd
    Options
    I probably only weighed myself a few times a month then at the doctor's of course. My 1st & 3rd pregnancies were very rough. The only thing that could control nausea & vomiting was carbs (or meds but I decided against those). I just tried my best to stick to whole grain breads and crackers since I figured they were "good carbs" and that was good for me, the baby and weight gain. Just try to walk daily even if its only 20 mins around the block, drink lots of water to control water weight gain and eat healthy. You cant really diet when your growing a person but you can control the types of food you eat.
    Congratulations!!!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I stopped after 7 months :noway: My doctor would get so irritated with me.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    OMGosh, I weighed myself every single day. I still do.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I NEVER weighed myself when I was pregnant....only when I went in for my check up and I HAD to.
    Me too! I didn't need to see the numbers to know I was getting HUGE. LOL! I gained 50 lbs with my first and 40 with my second. And with my first it came on so fast. Kind of depressing. Thankfully it's all gone now!
  • cblebrun
    cblebrun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was OCD and weighed myself every day. I do this when I'm not pregnant too. Some people think that this will stress you out, but not weighing myself stressed me out too. I gained 50 with my first and 30 with my second. You can't diet while pregnant; however, you can nutritiously so both you and your baby benefit.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Once a week.

First two pregnancies, I gained 60 pounds +/-. Last one, which was a late age pregnancy for me, I only gained 30 pounds. Problem is, I never did lose those 30 pounds. Still trying...5 years later :grumble:

Note: had gestational diabetes with all three, injected myself with insulin during the last one as well as tested 4x daily. Much tighter controls on the diabetes meant less weight gain. I learned a lot about how food affects my blood sugars.

Something to remember, you only need about 300 extra calories a day to support the baby. I think I used being pregnant as an excuse to eat more than I needed (eating for two!! :drinker: ). That can easily be used up with a couple glasses of milk. Otherwise, eat normally, ie: at maintenance.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    With dd1 we had been trying for children for over 10 years before I had her and I was all ready well into
    the overweight/obese bmi.
    I did watch my weight as I knew I could not aford to gain too much - my target was not more than a stone (14lb)
    and without doing too much I did manage it, I had a c/section as she was breech and on the day of surgery I was 9lb heavier than
    pre -pregnancy.
    I got weighed every other week at hospital appointments.
    I lost the 9lb by the time dd1 was 6 months old - breastfeeding was great for this.

dd2 I gained 7lb total and again lost it breastfeeding.
    Don't remember weighing in as much, but i think that was cos having another child already, as well as full time working and a DH away Sun-Fri I just didnt have time!

Don't stress, and enjoy the time.

TM
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Once a week.

First two pregnancies, I gained 60 pounds +/-. Last one, which was a late age pregnancy for me, I only gained 30 pounds. Problem is, I never did lose those 30 pounds. Still trying...5 years later :grumble:

Note: had gestational diabetes with all three, injected myself with insulin during the last one as well as tested 4x daily. Much tighter controls on the diabetes meant less weight gain. I learned a lot about how food affects my blood sugars.

Something to remember, you only need about 300 extra calories a day to support the baby. I think I used being pregnant as an excuse to eat more than I needed (eating for two!! :drinker: ). That can easily be used up with a couple glasses of milk. Otherwise, eat normally, ie: at maintenance.

This is nearly identical to what I was going to say. I gained 36 pounds with the first and 18 with the second (had GD with this one).