Explain to me..

Options
The health benefits of a steam room/sauna....that I don't get from regular exercise?

I see lots people spending lots of time in there at the Y. Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something.

Replies

• BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    There aren't really a lot of health benefits, but they can feel pretty good. People think that you can sweat out toxins, but there is no scientific basis for that belief.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    cleans out your pores, can be very relaxing for muscles. Stress reduction can mean lowering of stress related hormones.

other than that, not much besides dehydration and possible overheating. Sauna's do nothing for weight loss in the traditional sense. You can't "melt away pounds" like that, that's not how the body works.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think it helps with weight loss, but I like steam rooms for my skin. You just sweat a lot and your complexion is better afterwards. I think it relaxes your muscles a lot too.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I don't necessarily think it helps with weight loss, but I like steam rooms for my skin. You just sweat a lot and your complexion is better afterwards. I think it relaxes your muscles a lot too.

copy cat. :tongue:
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I always love how relaxed I am. I'll sit in there, drink a 32 ounce bottle of water and feel amazingly relaxed:)
    And my skin looks beautiful afterwards:)
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I was wondering that myself ( actually it was more like, why do gyms have steam rooms or saunas)

From Wikipedia
    The beneficial effects of therapeutic sauna are both temporary and long term.

Contraindications to sauna include unstable angina pectoris, recent myocardial infarction,[27] and severe aortic stenosis. Sauna is safe, however, for most people with stable coronary heart disease.[28] It is not harmful to the aged when used in moderation, is safe even for young infants over 3 months if limited to short (< 3 minutes) sessions,[29] and does not affect wound healing.[30] Sauna use may reduce the incidence of the common cold, and temporarily relieve the symptoms.[31][32] It increases performance in endurance sport,[33] increases plasma volume and red cell volume in athletes, decreased systolic blood pressure, significantly improved exercise tolerance, increased peak respiratory oxygen uptake, and enhanced anaerobic threshold in chronic conditions.[citation needed]

Sauna plus multidisciplinary treatment may reduce chronic pain more effectively than multidisciplinary treatment alone. Sauna reduces chronic pain more effectively than cognitive behaviour therapy. It is indicated for rheumatic pain (with cold shower) but not for neuropathic pain.[34] Is effective for appetite loss and mild depression.[35] Indicated in reducing symptoms in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,[22][36] and rheumatoid arthritis,[37] and indicated for anorexia nervosa.[38] Sauna improves function in conditions such as congestive heart failure, and high blood pressure, improves vasodilation, improves heart arrhythmia, and reduces heart rate on exercise. Sauna has been proposed for treatment of other conditions such as glaucoma,[39] Sjogren syndrome,[40] chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia,[41] anorexia nervosa, obstructive lung disease,[42] recuperation after childbirth, and also for lifestyle related diseases of, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, atherosclerosis and smoking induced symptoms.[43]

Sauna has also been found to reduce levels of stress hormones adrenalin and noradrenalin and to increase levels of beta endorphin. However it also causes a substantial rise in the stress hormones ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone), and cortisol due to hyperthermic stress on the body. Cortisol remains high even after 30 minutes of rest.[44] Sauna also found to reduce prostaglandin F2alpha and protect against oxidative stress. It enhances activation of monocytes to bacteria and endotoxins.[45]

Other benefits of saunas: It has shown that regular saunas combined with exercise therapy can efficiently clear organic chemicals,[46] solvents,[47] drugs, pharmaceuticals even PCBs[48] and heavy metals from the body.[49][50]

SO basically what I got out of it was, less colds, higher endurance... Grrr sometimes too much information is just more confusing.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Infrared saunas help you sweat out some of that toxins/water weight. I've tried it, it works! Going for 30 minutes once a week is also a nice treat for your biggest organ-your skin! :) (the sweat helps rejuvinate your skin)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Sauna's do nothing for weight loss in the traditional sense. You can't "melt away pounds" like that, that's not how the body works.

Wouldn't it be nice if it did work that way though? :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I was wondering that myself ( actually it was more like, why do gyms have steam rooms or saunas)

From Wikipedia

Contraindications to sauna include unstable angina pectoris, recent myocardial infarction,[27] and severe aortic stenosis. Sauna is safe, however, for most people with stable coronary heart disease.[28] It is not harmful to the aged when used in moderation, is safe even for young infants over 3 months if limited to short (< 3 minutes) sessions,[29] and does not affect wound healing.[30] Sauna use may reduce the incidence of the common cold, and temporarily relieve the symptoms.[31][32] It increases performance in endurance sport,[33] increases plasma volume and red cell volume in athletes, decreased systolic blood pressure, significantly improved exercise tolerance, increased peak respiratory oxygen uptake, and enhanced anaerobic threshold in chronic conditions.[citation needed]

Sauna plus multidisciplinary treatment may reduce chronic pain more effectively than multidisciplinary treatment alone. Sauna reduces chronic pain more effectively than cognitive behaviour therapy. It is indicated for rheumatic pain (with cold shower) but not for neuropathic pain.[34] Is effective for appetite loss and mild depression.[35] Indicated in reducing symptoms in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,[22][36] and rheumatoid arthritis,[37] and indicated for anorexia nervosa.[38] Sauna improves function in conditions such as congestive heart failure, and high blood pressure, improves vasodilation, improves heart arrhythmia, and reduces heart rate on exercise. Sauna has been proposed for treatment of other conditions such as glaucoma,[39] Sjogren syndrome,[40] chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia,[41] anorexia nervosa, obstructive lung disease,[42] recuperation after childbirth, and also for lifestyle related diseases of, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, atherosclerosis and smoking induced symptoms.[43]

Sauna has also been found to reduce levels of stress hormones adrenalin and noradrenalin and to increase levels of beta endorphin. However it also causes a substantial rise in the stress hormones ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone), and cortisol due to hyperthermic stress on the body. Cortisol remains high even after 30 minutes of rest.[44] Sauna also found to reduce prostaglandin F2alpha and protect against oxidative stress. It enhances activation of monocytes to bacteria and endotoxins.[45]

Other benefits of saunas: It has shown that regular saunas combined with exercise therapy can efficiently clear organic chemicals,[46] solvents,[47] drugs, pharmaceuticals even PCBs[48] and heavy metals from the body.[49][50]

SO basically what I got out of it was, less colds, higher endurance... Grrr sometimes too much information is just more confusing.

lol, this whole thing essentially boils down to, it opens up blood vessels, which explains most of the heart and blood related stuff (vasodilation), reduces stress, and is good for skin and joints because it basically makes them more flexible.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I thought it would feel good but it was so hot I couldn't even breathe! Idon't know how people can tolerate it. the dry heat is worse than the steam room.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Frankly, the only benefit I can see that I don't get from my normal routine is muscle relaxation....I'll go to the hot tub for that.

I already sweat buckets, and get stress relief from running, lifting, and swimming.

Thanks for the answers.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I liked to sit in there after swimming and use the time to stretch. I also thought about it as a little skin detox, but also thought that was probably cancelled out by the nasty sweat and bacteria I am sure breeds in the Y's steam room :laugh:

I did usually still have my HRM running and noticed my HR higher (like in the low to mid/low cardio range) while in the steam room and a decent calorie burn... but I completely acknowledge that that with no muscle use etc is pretty pointless calorie burn if not paired with actual exercise. I also always went in after a swim, so my HR was already a bit above resting, and probably easier to coax into a calorie burn range than if I skipped the swim first.

I also hardly ever sweat when working out so it's a good pore cleanse for me to actually do some sweating!
  • hog2east
    hog2east Posts: 9
    Options
    So if it is good for the skin and rejuvenating the skin will help with loose skin problems?

I mainly go to stretch and relax but was just wondering if I was getting any extra benefit?
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options

From Wikipedia

lol, this whole thing essentially boils down to, it opens up blood vessels, which explains most of the heart and blood related stuff (vasodilation), reduces stress, and is good for skin and joints because it basically makes them more flexible.
    I like your explaination better... so simple!