First Time Marathon Training

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
I ran a half, last year in March, "life" slowed me down but i am eager to get back to running. I turn 40 in July - and I will run my first marathon as a 40 year old....Disney World Marathon, January 2012. I've been researching programs and this is what I've come up with...

MarathonJanuary2012_Page_1.jpg
MarathonJanuary2012_Page_2.jpg
MarathonJanuary2012_Page_3.jpg
MarathonJanuary2012_Page_4.jpg
MarathonJanuary2012_Page_5.jpg

Basis of it came from Smart Coach on Runners World using my Half Marathon time. I used Smart Coach to train for my half also.

Those of you who have run a marathon, what's your best tip in training?
What do you think of my program...realistic? Are my "rest weeks" resting enough or too much?

Wish me luck!

Replies

• aharageones
    Options
    I'm working up to a half this year. All my marathon running friends swear by Hal Higdon's website. Not sure how they compare. Good luck!
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    First of all, WAY TO GO on your first marathon! Wooohooo! For my 40th, I ran the Walt Disney World Goofy Races (half marathon on Saturday, full marathon on Sunday). I HIGHLY recommend those races. It was a race of lifetime. I'm actually planning on doing it again in either Jan 2012 or 2013.

I second Hal Higdon and his free programs. I've run 3 marathons and 5 halves, and have used Hal's programs for all of them. You might also want to look in the Jeff Galloway program. His plan encourages short "walk breaks" during a race. Both of these men are amazing and have run a bazillion marathons. These plans also encourage cross-training and rest days.

WAY TO GO!!!
    Shan :wink:
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Chrissy you are AWESOME!!! Best of luck with your training! I'm using Hal Higdon to train for a 10K in May and love his approach - might check im out and see if you can work it in... But what you have looks great! You are an inspiration!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Isn't Hal Higdon's 4 days a week?
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Bump
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon for my first marathon--very good program.

My biggest tip is to make sure your training conditions are as close to the actual race conditions as you can possibly get them. I had run several half-marathons prior to my full marathon, but nothing really compares to the 26.2 miles... nothing. And take it easy on the race day: your first time is not the race to set records and impress yourself. That first time is about surviving.

Good luck!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Pixie-what's your favorite gels/chews for your long runs. At what distance do you eat them?

I read somewhere to try to replenish about 45 carbs per hour???? (Average of a range)

The training program sets time goals but I am TOTALLY about just finishing. The times give me something to strive for in the training.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    fellow first time marathoner here with a "bump" :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Hi misssuper!

Day 1 of official marathon training complete. Ran 3/walked 1.5
    In Mizunos 12
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    I am 72 days away from my 1st marathon.
    I followed a VERY loose hal higdon program last year for my half, this year I have been a lot more strict (still with a couple minor tweaks) follwing his marathon program. I am very excited to see how I do.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Hi misssuper!

Day 1 of official marathon training complete. Ran 3/walked 1.5
    In Mizunos 12
    Great job! I'm 3+ months out from Grandma's, so I'm on week 3 of training.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Completed week 1 - working on week 2. So far so good. I am in baby mileage still but a great mindset to go with it.

I did my first magic mile 10:46

It's a mile where your working hard but not ready to puke, you could keep going for more miles after
    (goal by Galloway to finish marathon in under the 7 hour time limit by the end of your training is 11:00)

Feeling good about my training. Changed it up a bit - more of a start with half marathon program (again) then proceeding to the full. Afraid to have too many of the high 20+ mileage runs that I am opening myself up to injury so this new way I've eliminated so many at the end. My program is coming from Smart Coach on Runners world-looked in Hal Higdon, Galloway, just feel good about Smart Coach since that's how I was able to finish the half last March. I've realized that the program is a guide, most important is to run during the week at least twice, and work on increasing the mileage for the long run. Simple enough.....yeah, right!

Registration for Disney full opens up 3/15...I'll be on there first thing.

I will do 26.2!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Week 2 complete. Great week. Registration opens at noon tomorrow - very excited to make that REAL commitment.