Breastfeeding

monkey99
monkey99 Posts: 1
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to MFP and just wondering how I account for breastfeeding?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• When I was breastfeeding I heard that it burned 500 calories a day! Feel free to double check. It might depend on how many feedings a day, etc. I would just add it as a new exercise (if it's not already on there) and add the calories that you burned. Go you! I lost a lot of weight breastfeeding.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Breastfeeding generally burns 300-500 calories per day, depending on how much your baby nurses. So, you need 300-500 calories on top of your maintenance calories in order to stay healthy, keep your supply up and to maintain the nutrition level of your milk.
  • fitstarr
    fitstarr Posts: 13
    Good for you for breastfeeding!!!!What a beautiful gift of health to give your child.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    You can enter it under food and it will add negative calories, or under exercise where it will just add on extra calories to your daily count.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Yeah, I add it daily under my food diary. It's Mom - Breastfeeding. My baby girl is just over 6 months and I have accounted for 500 cals extra all along and have been losing 1 to 2.5 lbs weekly. :) Good luck!
  • In your food diary, add food and type Nursing Mommy - Breastfeeding.
  • margarita953
    margarita953 Posts: 27 Member
    I'm piggybacking on this post to ask another related breastfeeding question-if I'm only nursing 1-2x a day, should I even consider this as calories burned? I'm thinking if any it would be minimal.
  • Chrysti3
    Chrysti3 Posts: 4
    I've been tracking my food as normal, with my goals realistic, and adding in 2-3 glasses of milk and 1-2 glasses of juice (real juice, not sugar water!) every day without 'counting' them into my calories.

My baby girl will be three weeks old on Saturday, I've lost 22lbs, and have more milk than she knows what to do with (Thank God!)!
This discussion has been closed.