Anyone Working in Restaurants? I need ideas

Options
I work in a restaurant and so have very irregular eating times. (I could be eating dinner as late as 10 or 11 at night) And so, going from 2 til 10 between meals is too long for me. Does any one from the restaurant industry have any healthy snack ideas for me? Not to mention its pretty hard not to just grab some fries because they're quick, easy, and there. (But believe me, I've been very good).

Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i never worked in a restrurant but did work as a cook in the military and in schools and nursing homes. is there any way you could bag you up some precut veggies or low fat trail mix or even dried cereal like granola or fruit and fiber or rasin nut bran or something and keep them in your purse or backpack for when you get peckish?
  • krista42
    krista42 Posts: 7
    Options
    I feel your pain! I try to make sure to eat not too long before I go to work, and usually take along a snack. I tend to take fiber bars because they keep me from getting too hungry, and they're quick and easy to carry around. If you're looking for something less processed, I've also thought about taking small baggies of carrots or celery. I'm curious to see the other responses to this, because it's something I tend to have a hard time with.
  • wanda1956
    wanda1956 Posts: 110
    Options
    Maybe some nuts in baggie or protien bars. and some fruit like an apple.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant part time (doing banquets) , and since all they'll feed us free is leftover side dishes of high-starch food/carbs like potatoes, rice, and noodles, I just started bringing hard boiled eggs with me in an insulated lunch bag, I throw it in a walk-in and eat that. Sometimes I also bring jerky but not the ****ty kind you get in a corner store, more like something from a health food store that has less processing or added unwanted ingredients. Otherwise I'll resort to eating bread or the other crap I mentioned above, which is the worst thing to eat late at night.

(Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get a salad if they made too many but usually I have to bring something or I'll partially pay for my burger, no bun, no fries, sub salad with my discount.)
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    I work in a restaurant and usually work like 11 to 8 pm shifts..so I understand the irregular eating times and also going long periods without being able to eat. I try to pick some of the healthier choices that we have available such as fruit or salad. I have also looked up my restaurant's nutrition guide to see what the better choices are to eat. I also try to bring healthier snacks with me in my purse..granola bars, crackers, etc.. I agree that it is so easy to grab some fries and it is so hard looking at and smelling "bad" food all day, but you can do it! :smile:
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant too, from 3-11ish without a break, so I know how hard it is, especially where I work where there is all you can eat garlic homeloaf, yum!
    anyway, I've been trying to have salad and things like dried fruit/nuts etc
    not much help, but you're not alone!
  • bethyfoofoo
    Options
    I used to work in the restaurant industry, and was able to lose 90+ lbs. I made sure I ate before my shift, and then if I ate anything there (they offered 1 free meal of their choosing) I made sure they grilled it instead of being fried, and then traded fries for veggies of avocado & tomato slices. Usually, the cooks would hook me up with something more healthy since they knew I was trying to lose weight. Good luck!!!
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! That's helpful and good to know that I'm not alone out there in the restaurant biz.
  • Blondwootz
    Blondwootz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work 10-6 at a restaurant These are things that have worked for me:

- Eat a meal before work with slow burning carbs and protein that will keep you satiated during your shift.
    -Bring a small lunch box that you can go to if your feeling the urge to munch. Snacks that have worked for me are..a precut apple, celery, protein shake, hard boiled egg, cheese sticks, yogurt, almonds...basically anything that is quick and easy.
    -I also like to focus on the fact that being active at my job is so good for me since most people are stuck behind a desk for 8 hours. I wear a pedometer and everyday I try to take more steps than the day before. It gives me a positive focus instead of just thinking about those fries I can't eat.