Atkins for Life Here

Options

Replies

• daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    another person who lost weight with atkins fails to maintain. Maybe the reason people consistently fall off the wagon when they are on these diets is because of the nature of the diet.

No, the reason I failed is exactly as I stated. I did not have good self-control. I also did not have any accountability.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you- especially if you are under the guidance of your doctor. From personal experience, I know that my mother was made very sick from doing Atkins. It clearly did not work for her. On the other end of the spectrum, I LOVE the Southbeach diet, and am a huge advocate, and have had several people bash it and use the "it didn't work for me" and it's
    "bad for you" line. Well, that's just fine and dandy, but my physician at the time endorsed what I was doing and it was a way of life for many years. On a personal note, I have read the Atkins book and followed the diet very briefly with my mother. Are you following a doctor's modified version of the foods? I found that a lot of them are very high in fat- and with minimal amounts of very important dietary vitamins being consumed with the avoidance of a lot of fruits and veggies, that some sort of dietary supplement must be taken.
  • GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I read the Atkins book and did give it a conscious effort. However, it did not work for me and it just made me feel gross eating so much fat. But thats me. And I feel that if you found something that works for you and you can stick with it for the rest of your life, then that is all that counts. When I was on it, I frwquented this board WWW.ATKINSDIETBULLETINBOARD.COM
    it was very helpful and everyone always answered questions and shared recipes. You should check it out, although you are definitely welcome to stay here too :)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I know you said you are sold on Atkins, and I respect that, you might try looking at this website, it’s along the same lines, and might help with menus and other aspects of low carb life style. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    I have tried to post on several threads about my journey with Atkins. All I have encountered is hostility and conflict. I joined this site because I really love the food diary and how easy it is to modify to my specific needs and how great the recipe input is. I am saddened that the forums are not helpful to a wider audience and encouraging to all who are on the path to losing their excess weight as needed and then heading onto good health and fitness. Not everyone is a low fat/calorie follower. I choose to eat low carb under my doctors care. ( I don't eat salads and fruits because I don't like them!) This is what my doctor prescribed for me and I am very discouraged that I am not receiving more words of encouragement and so much almost hateful words! I guess I just won't get involved in any of the forums. Thanks for listening. Hope this helps future newbies.

I really hope that you don't let the Negative Nancy's force you away from here.
    We're not all like that - personally I think if you've found something that works for you and that you are happy and comfortable with then I applaud you.

People, I find, are often hostile or negative towards things they don't fully understand.

I'd love to be able to stick to something like you have done - I admire your resolve and determination.
    Good luck with the rest of your journey :flowerforyou:
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    . I had phenomenal success about 7 years ago when I did this. The reason it didn't work for me is because I failed to keep my self control with the foods I was supposed to eat.
    another person who lost weight with atkins fails to maintain. Maybe the reason people consistently fall off the wagon when they are on these diets is because of the nature of the diet.

Come back in twenty years and tells us how that works. I love it when a 20 something thinks they know anything about dieting. Only twentyfive and needing to lose 20lbs, son you are in for a rough ride.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Hey -- I'd just like to see one person (and preferrably more than one person) come on this message board with a first person testimonial about how they lost a bunch of weight on Atkins and successfully kept it off.

I don't claim to know it all, but I am observant. And I observe that the tens of people I know personally that lost a bunch of weight on the Atkins diet gained it all back when they tried to go back to normal. When I start observing something else, I'll change my views.

I do think the carb recommendation on this website is too high and the protein is too low, so you should be eating "reduced carbs" compared to even what this website says.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think that the successful ones that keep it off all hang out at the Atkins website where they aren't ridiculed and attacked.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    . I had phenomenal success about 7 years ago when I did this. The reason it didn't work for me is because I failed to keep my self control with the foods I was supposed to eat.

Let's see a show of hands of people on other diets who stopped and gained back all their weight and then some. It is not just an "Atkins" phenomenon it is a human one.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That's probably why people who started doing the Atkins diet don't think they can eat Carbs -- because they've put themselves in a position where they can't.

Maybe something else is going on here: sometimes I think that Atkins works best for people who already are insulin resistant, on their way to diabetes. That is almost a congenital thing. For instance, people with a very low birth weight nearly all run this risk. For them, even a very moderate amount of carbohydrate puts them back on the path of insulin resistance. I their case it's not about the calories, but very much about the macro nutrients. "Normal" people hardly ever take that into account when critiquing a choice of diet.
    Finally, someone with a brain. Thanks for your comment.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Let's see a show of hands of people on other diets who stopped and gained back all their weight and then some. It is not just an "Atkins" phenomenon it is a human one.

Exactly.

I don't follow Atkins but I completely understand the need to stay far, far away from my trigger foods.
    One bite for me and it's off to the races.

Best of Luck to you!
  • hellospf50
    hellospf50 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sure did we are human! we all have gained and lost over time!! one day the young and "know" how to diet will one day look back and see they did not know everything about life or what being human was all about.............. kind words, encouragement, helpful word of advice
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    what constitutes as "low carb" I have my ratio set for 40%carb 40% protein and 20%fat........

Congrats on finding what works for you!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    The reason people are probably negative to you on here is because atkins is not safe.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/wheres-the-beef-wheres-the-health-benefit

Written by a registered dietician, they have more nutrition training than most doctors.

Also, most people lose weight by going to atkins because they cut out the cookies and donuts and the junk food. You can get the same results just by cutting that stuff out, and eating healthy, and safely.

Please stop with the fallacies about Atkins not being safe. Please just stop.

When these following foods start being unhealthy, then God help all of us...........And this is just for Phase 1. After Phase 1 you continuously add in more and more veggies, <gasp> fruit, nuts, seeds, grains <gasp again> and starchy vegetables. In the end, where is anyone doing Atkins eating any different than anyone eating "CLEAN"???????????????????

All fish including:

•Flounder
    •Herring
    •Salmon
    •Sardines
    •Sole
    •Tuna
    •Trout

All fowl including:

•Cornish hen
    •Chicken
    •Duck
    •Goose
    •Pheasant
    •Quail
    •Turkey
    All shellfish including:

•Clams
    •Crabmeat
    •Mussels*
    •Oysters*
    •Shrimp
    •Squid
    *Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs so limit to about 4 ounces per day.

All meat including:

•Bacon*
    •Beef
    •Ham*
    •Lamb
    •Pork
    •Veal
    •Venison
    Some processed meat, bacon, and ham is cured with sugar, which will add to the carb count. Also steer clear of cold cuts and other meats with added nitrates.

Eggs are one of nature's most nutritious creations. That’s why eggs are a staple breakfast in the Atkins Nutritional Approach.

Feel free to get creative with your eggs: Add mushrooms and onions, or even green pepper. Top the dish off with feta cheese or add basil, oregano and other herbs.

Eggs in any style, including:

•Deviled
    •Fried
    •Hard-boiled
    •Omelets
    •Poached
    •Scrambled
    •Soft-boiled

Keep in mind that cheese does contain carbs, about 1 gram per ounce. You may have about 3 to 4 ounces of cheese per day. An ounce is about the size of an individually wrapped slice of American cheese or a 1" cube.

Cheese including:

Type Serving Size Grams of net carbs
    Blue cheeses
    Cheddar
    Cow, sheep and goat
    Cream cheese
    Feta
    Gouda
    Mozzarella
    Parmesan
    Swiss

Vegetables:

You should be eating approximately 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day in the form of vegetables, which is equivalent to several cups depending on the actual carb content of the veggies you select.

1 cup is roughly the size of a baseball. Measure the following salad vegetables raw.

Vegetable Serving Size/Prep grams of net carbs

Alfalfa sprouts 1 cup/raw 0.4
    Arugula ½ cup/raw 0.2
    Bok choy 1 cup/raw 0.8
    Celery 1 stalk 0.8
    Chicory greens ½ cup/raw 0.6
    Chives 1 tablespoon 0.1
    Cucumber ½ cup 1.0
    Daikon ½ cup 1.0
    Endive ½ cup 0.0
    Escarole ½ cup 0.0
    Fennel 1 cup 3.6
    Jicama ½ cup 2.5
    Iceberg lettuce
    ½ cup 0.1
    Mushrooms ½ cup 1.2
    Parsley 1 tablespoon 0.1
    Peppers ½ cup/raw 2.3
    Radicchio ½ cup/raw 0.7
    Radishes 10/raw 0.9
    Romaine lettuce ½ cup 0.2

The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbs than the salad vegetables listed above. They also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily foods. Make sure you stay within the 12-15 grams of net carbs. Unless otherwise noted, measure these veggies after you cook them.

Vegetable Serving Size/ Prep Net Carbs
    Artichoke ¼ of medium 4.0
    Asparagus 6 spears 2.4
    Artichoke hearts 1 canned
    Avocadoes 1 whole (raw) 3.5
    Bamboo shoots 1 cup canned
    Broccoli
    ½ cup 1.6
    Broccoli raw ½ cup 1.0
    Broccoli rabe ½ cup 1.3
    Broccoflower ½ cup 1.4
    Brussels sprouts ¼ cup
    Cabbage ½ cup (raw) 2.0
    Cauliflower ½ cup (raw) 1.0
    Swiss chard ½ cup
    Collard greens ½ cup
    Eggplant ½ cup
    Hearts of palm 1 heart 0.7
    Kale ½ cup 2.4
    Kohlrabi ½ cup 4.6
    Leeks ¼ cup
    Okra ½ cup
    Olives green 5 2.5
    Olives black 5 0.7
    Onion ¼ cup (raw) 2.8
    Pumpkin ¼ cup
    Rhubarb ½ cup (unsweetened) 1.7
    Sauerkraut ½ cup (drained) 1.2
    Peas ½ cup with pods 3.4
    Spaghetti squash ½ cup
    Spinach ½ cup (raw) 0.2
    Summer squash ½ cup
    Tomato 1 (raw) 4.3
    Turnips ½ cup
    Water chestnuts ½ cup (canned) 6.9
    Zucchini ½ cup

Salad Garnishes
    Crumbled bacon 3 slices 0.0
    Hard-boiled egg 1 egg 0.0
    Grated cheeses (see above carb counts)
    Sautéed mushrooms ½ cup 1.0
    Sour cream 2 tbs 1.2

Herbs and Spices (make sure they contain no added sugar)

Basil 1 tbs 0.0
    Cayenne pepper 1 tbs 0.0
    Cilantro 1 tbs 0.0
    Dill 1 tbs 0.0
    Garlic 1 clove 0.9
    Ginger 1 tbs sliced root 0.8
    Oregano 1 tbs 0.0
    Pepper 1 tbs 0.0
    Rosemary 1 tbs 0.0
    Sage 1 tbs 0.0
    Tarragon 1 tbs 0.0

Salad Dressings - Any prepared salad dressing with no added sugar and no more then 2 grams of net carbs per serving (1-2 tablespoons) is acceptable. Or make your own.

Blue cheese 2 tbs 2.3
    Caesar 2 tbs 0.5
    Italian 2 tbs 3.0
    Lemon juice 2 tbs 2.8
    Oil and vinegar 2 tbs 1.0
    Ranch 2 tbs 1.4

Fats and Oils

There are no carbs here, but keep in mind that the serving size is approximately 1 tablespoon.

1.Butter
    2.Mayonnaise – make sure it has no added sugar
    3.Olive oil
    4.Vegetable oils – Those labeled “cold pressed” or “expeller pressed” are especially good and olive oil is one of the best.
    ◦Canola*
    ◦Walnut
    ◦Soybean*
    ◦Grape seed*
    ◦Sesame
    ◦Sunflower*
    ◦Safflower*
    *Do not allow any oils to reach overly high temperatures when cooking. Use olive oil for sautéing only. Use walnut or sesame oil to dress cooked veggies or salad, but not for cooking.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Whats *normal*?

What ever way of eating thats healthy and working for you, is normal. Everyones normal is different. You're never going to have everyone on board with what you are doing. Lots of people have never looked into Atkins so they just hear the phase one part.
    Personally I view it as something I would try before a beach vacation, but for me he list of veggies I'd have to limit/eliminate isn't for me. Acorn squash and brussel sprouts are staples to me!

I eat both of those veggies. I can't think of one veggie or fruit that is completely off limits at some point of eating low carb.
    [/quote]

That is true. At some point everything is added back in. People ignore that because they want to keep the media hype of Atkins and unhealthy in the same sentence.
  • MakotoYuu
    Options
    I've lost a significant amount of weight on a low carbohydrate diet - I actually am doing more of a Paleo gig rather than Atkins, though I still do eat dairy and some artificial sweeteners. I eat under 50g of carbohydrate per day. Sometimes I go up to 75g, depending. I used to do the 30g or less a day, and still do sometimes if I need to get over a stall.

As for why I stick with paleo/low carb, I've actually gained weight eating 1600/calories a day but higher carb, so...this is pretty much what works for me. I'm seriously insulin resistant, and I've come to terms with the fact I probably will never be able to eat the standard 250g+ of refined carbs a day. This doesn't bother me.

High protein diets aren't dangerous provided the person on them is already healthy, (I wouldn't do it if I had kidney disease without speaking to a doctor), and you drink an adequate amount of liquids. I could post all sorts of science about it, but Gary Taubes has an excellent list of sources in his book Good Calories Bad Calories for the curious. Heck, just go read any organic chemistry textbook. The science has been known and discussed for decades.

I think most people misunderstand what Atkins/low carb is... I generally eat quite a large quantity of vegetables and fruit. The past two months getting back into my clinical psychology program I've been eating rushed, but for example, this week I'm getting back on track now that I was accepted to school (yay). I've bought about 20 pounds of said fruits and veggies to eat. Some glorious peaches, avocados, organic romaine, carrots, escarole, asparagus, mushrooms, kale, etc. Clearly I must be killing myself.

@shannonshock13, what is "low carb" really depends on the individual plan, how much weight you have to lose, etc. Paleo generally has higher carbs, usually 100g or less per day when you go to maintain, and 50g or so or less for weight loss. I want to say Atkins and Protein Power are 30-40g for induction, higher after you're past the bulk of weight losing, but someone please remind/correct that, as it's been a while.

Paleo's both a bit stricter and a bit more lenient than Atkins. You can eat a wider variety of foods on Paleo, but generally you avoid artificial sweeteners, all processed foods and grains, and legumes/peanuts. Mark's Daily Apply is the best website I've found with decent info.

Also, if you want to honestly understand the science behind it, I really can't recommend Gary Taubes's books enough. They're backed up with credible sources aplenty.
  • Grokette
    Options
    First of all, I count 3 more examples of people who have done the Atkins diet successfully and all of whom gained their weight back when they went off of it.
    Furthermore when people say "When you go off of it you'll gain it all back" is a stupid argument. Sure if you go away from the principals of staying away from foods that make you gain weight and binging and gorging yourself on processed crap you're going to gain weight. I imagine that if you went off of a low fat diet and started eating tons of fried chicken, or went off of a calorie controlled diet and starting eating 4000+ calories a day of processed crap you'd gain weight too.
    The problem with the Atkins diet is that you can eat the right amount of calories and still gain weight if you reintroduce carbs. Your body will quickly store the carbs as fat. That's probably why people who started doing the Atkins diet don't think they can eat Carbs -- because they've put themselves in a position where they can't. A binge doesn't have to be 4000 calories for a person on Atkins.
    I'm personally back on the diet bandwagon because I was an idiot. I started reaching for horrible junk food, which produced cravings for more of it. I also have an issue with portion control, so the issue was compounded. If I'd just made better choices in what I ate I'd have maintained the weight loss longer than 2.5 years. Atkins is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change, and one that I really think I want to get back to. Never felt or ate better in my life to be completely honest.
    So the lesson here is don't eat junk food and control portions. I agree.

Maybe the Atkins diet is just a fancy way of telling people to cut out junk food and snacks. But you don't have to be on the Atkins diet to do that.

People that think they can't eat the carbs are not adding them back in properly.............

And the Atkins plan was designed to allow people to learn how their own individual body reacts to different foods when they re-introduce them into their eating. It is basically similar to an elimination diet where you take everything out but the basics (protein and green veggies) and then slowly add everything back in while monitoring how your body reacts after adding it back in.............

For instance, I am intolerant to cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower and those class of veggies. I can eat very small amounts of these veggies without swelling up, eat a lot and I retain water and swell like I ate a gallon of salt.
  • CarmenElisa
    Options
    A low carb diet is a way of life for many persons who like to stay slender. They don't talk about it, but I once even heard it mentioned in a movie where the persons were in their 50's. Any diet that is not maintained will result in weight gain. I find that a low carb diet is easier to maintain because there is no need to count calories, or points, etc.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    @Grokette...if you read my last post, or the article...you will know that the article is about the dangers of a high protein diet. I never said I knew anything about atkins, but there are dangers to high protein...and I think people need to be aware of them.
  • hellospf50
    hellospf50 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    GO Grokett's you said it!!!! better than I could have