Question about exercise calories...

JesaGrace
JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Okay, so I'm starting to understand why we have to eat our exercise calories....but I was wondering...sometimes the only time I have to do a workout is later in the evening.....that's the only time I can do it.....so if you do a hardcore workout....burn a couple calories....do you still eat them, even though it's so late.....

Replies

• runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    I would say as a general rule...No. You could at least drink a protein drink for some of those cals and to help your muscles.

OR... you could eat a little extra during the day in anticipation of the late exercise. This might be an added incentive to do the workout on the days that you are wanting to skip it.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Just my opinion, but I say no. You don't want to negate the hard work you did by sleeping on a full stomach. If you feel the need maybe just have something light like a banana or a lower cal protein shake post work out.
  • SheCantWeight
    SheCantWeight Posts: 36 Member
    This may be a dumb question, but why do we eat our exercise calories?
  • prot11
    prot11 Posts: 15
    This may be a dumb question, but why do we eat our exercise calories?

Not a dumb question. Because otherwise you get too much of a caloric deficit.
  • SheCantWeight

So it slows your metabolism? What's the point of working out and burning calories if you just eat them again?
  • runningneo122

So it slows your metabolism? What's the point of working out and burning calories if you just eat them again?

This is a link with multiple links in it that explains it all quite clearly. Although it is posted by MFP users, it is all based on scientific studies even if they aren't cited in the posts. Anything posted by Banks or MSBoss(Same person) you can take to the bank.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • runningneo122
    I just experienced a plateau and adjusted accordingly to break it. It's all about eating the right amount. Read about it in my blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/runningneo122
  • SheCantWeight
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.