Pickle Juice

buchmansrus
buchmansrus Posts: 34 Member
edited 2:09PM in Fitness and Exercise
Normally I hate pickles but I have tried the Claussen Garlic Dill pickles and Love them but my question is

Is it good for you or bad for you to drink the juice? I so really want to drink just alittle bit.

Replies

• lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    I'm not sure, but it will help get rid of cramps :smile:
  • DancingFox
    DancingFox Posts: 88 Member
    Yay, something I'm knowledgeable on!

I LOVE to drink pickle juice. I'm really active in an organization called the SCA (insert geekness here). We do a lot of medieval reenactment, thus we have a lot of fighters- men in full armor who run around swinging swords in 95F degree weather. We hav people who run onto the fields and feed them cold water, Gatorade, or pickle juice. Many choose the shot of pickle juice because it's equivalent to a whole bottle of Gatorade, and they want to have less liquid in their stomachs. Pickle juice is also very high in potassium, which many people are deficient in, especially extremely active people.

Because of this, I've taken to drinking pickle juice often. It has a very high sodium content, but it's actually really good for you, otherwise. Because of all the vinegar/electrolytes, it can help to keep you well hydrated and keep metabolism running wild! That said, I'm only talking about a couple ounces, at most. Don't go chugging an entire jar of it.

A lot of people say that they drink pickle juice before exercising because it helps to reduce muscle cramps. There have also been reports that it helps bring down blood pressure a little. These haven't been thoroughly studied, but that seems to be the feedback.
  • msseusse
    msseusse Posts: 18 Member
    Very interesting
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I mix a bit of pickle juice and olive oil when I make my salads. It make a really flavorful vinaigrette. I actually prefer it to balsamic vinegar.
  • DancingFox
    Mmm! Good idea! I may have to try that, myself!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    omg i LOVE pickle juice!!! but i thought i was a weirdo and never told anybody lol
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    I mix a bit of pickle juice and olive oil when I make my salads. It make a really flavorful vinaigrette. I actually prefer it to balsamic vinegar.

I've used pickle juice for my salads too ... without the oil ... but I'll definitely have to try mixing it with the oil.
    I like a simple tomato, cucumber, chopped parsley and green onion salad with this.

My mom always added some pickle juice to her lentil soup and I do that now too.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Yay, something I'm knowledgeable on!

I LOVE to drink pickle juice. I'm really active in an organization called the SCA (insert geekness here). We do a lot of medieval reenactment, thus we have a lot of fighters- men in full armor who run around swinging swords in 95F degree weather. We hav people who run onto the fields and feed them cold water, Gatorade, or pickle juice. Many choose the shot of pickle juice because it's equivalent to a whole bottle of Gatorade, and they want to have less liquid in their stomachs. Pickle juice is also very high in potassium, which many people are deficient in, especially extremely active people.

Because of this, I've taken to drinking pickle juice often. It has a very high sodium content, but it's actually really good for you, otherwise. Because of all the vinegar/electrolytes, it can help to keep you well hydrated and keep metabolism running wild! That said, I'm only talking about a couple ounces, at most. Don't go chugging an entire jar of it.

A lot of people say that they drink pickle juice before exercising because it helps to reduce muscle cramps. There have also been reports that it helps bring down blood pressure a little. These haven't been thoroughly studied, but that seems to be the feedback.

Heh for a moment there I thought you were a friend of mine IRL. You and she have the -exact- same interests and look very similar. The only difference is she has a cat and lives in TX. ^^ Shes a fellow SCAer, does archery. I'll have to see if she knows about the wonders of picklejuice. ^^
  • DancingFox

Heh for a moment there I thought you were a friend of mine IRL. You and she have the -exact- same interests and look very similar. The only difference is she has a cat and lives in TX. ^^ Shes a fellow SCAer, does archery. I'll have to see if she knows about the wonders of picklejuice. ^^

Well, I hope she's awesome then! Hehe.
    And P.S. I'm in love with your icon... Dark Mousy secretly owns part of my soul.
  • tgbjr1973
    tgbjr1973 Posts: 23
    Just don't drink too much. I drank a whole jar once when I was younger because I loved it so much. It wasn't 30 minutes before it all came back up.

I used to also make pickle juice popsicles when I was younger. Tasty! I had forgotten about those....may have to try them again this summer.
This discussion has been closed.