Question about sweeteners?

Options
twinwolf
twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
I have read a bit about aspartame, splenda, tru via, and pruvia and have some questions. I cut out all aspartame out of my diet, or so i thought due to the 92 side effects I read about it. (just found out it was in my Fiber One cereal also, but that's another story).

I was drinking Sobe Zero Lifewater till I found out it had pruvia in it. Do you think there are any issues with pruvia or tru via? I haven't found enough to read on either and wondered what others might know? Input?

I do know that both are made with like two parts of a sugar molecule and three parts of a chlorine molecule... Other than that, not much.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Matt

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    are you sure you're not confusing splenda with truvia? truvia is made from the stevia plant and is supposed to be completely natural.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I use truvia in my coffee, and drink Coke zero once a day if I have it around. Other than that it's water. I haven't heard anything negative about truvia, but not sure if that's because it hasn't been around as long as the aspartame. What are you using the sweeteners on?
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I replaced all of it with honey.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    I use sugar. Oooo bad me! But I don't trust the fake stuff. I would rather have a tiny bit of sugar then the 92 side effects : )

EDIT -

I do use honey sometimes also (like in tea)
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I really like Truvia. It's supposed to be all natural, so good for you. I love the taste too, as close to real sugar as you're going to get I think. Good luck :smile:
  • twinwolf
    Options
    Sorry, actually it's Pure Via.. My bad.. Didn't watch the auto-correct!

Yes, I know that both are made from Reb-A which is the sweetest part of the Stevia plant. Ethanol is used in both processes and I've read that chlorine is also.. I was just wondering what others had read or heard.

As far as what things I use them on, most of my ingestion comes from diet rite soda (splenda) and Sobe life water (pure via). I used to drink diet pepsi, diet coke, and Turkey Hill diet green tea (all with aspartame) all the time. Not wanting to ingest aspartame anymore, but still needing more than water to drink, I stopped drinking all those. Now I'm considering not drinking the diet rite or the Sobe life water.

Just looking for opinions..
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    I haven't heard anything negative about truvia, but not sure if that's because it hasn't been around as long as the aspartame.

this.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Ethanol is just alcohol used to extra the stevia. Since the stevia is a powder, the alcohol is gone by the time you are consuming it. My sweetener of choice is stevia, I have never used the Truevia or Pure Via versions, so I have no idea what they do to process them.
  • prot11
    prot11 Posts: 15
    Options
    I really like Truvia. It's supposed to be all natural, so good for you. I love the taste too, as close to real sugar as you're going to get I think. Good luck :smile:
    Sodium, and saturated fat are all natural too. I'm not saying all those stevia sweeteners are necessarily bad. I am saying that "natural" is just a marketing term.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sodium, and saturated fat are all natural too. I'm not saying all those stevia sweeteners are necessarily bad. I am saying that "natural" is just a marketing term.

So true, most times when a company is marketing something as 'all natural' is it a sales pitch. Keep in mind that due to the nature of Stevia it is also not regulated by the FDA (not that I trust them either - lol). Many 'natural' things are not good things, but we tend to not find out until later. So time will tell what is good and what is bad. For now I use liquid Splenda from www.sweetzfree.com as to eliminate the fillers that are in packets of Splenda. Other than that in my tea I drink water. I do have an occasional drink other than these, but I try to look for Suralose (Splenda) as the sweetener as I am not a fan of Aspartame either.
  • twinwolf
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone.. I like the suggestions!

Matt