Type 1 diabetics

Options
Hello everyone, I am new to MFP, I was wondering if there are any other type 1 diabetics out there. I have been diabetic for 12 years and have a pump. Losing weight is challenging, but its even harder when you have to deal with insulin and lows. Anyway, I could use some type 1 support! Thanks!

Replies

• tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hey - how's it going, type 1 diabetic here. I'm on a pump as well. I'm new to working out and losing weight with a pump. I'm working with my Diabetes Nurse, however she is telling me that I need to go with a high sugar into my workouts. Unfortunately, that meant my last A1C check was pretty high.

I'm working with my basal rates and my insulin/carb ratio on my own to come up with something that will work.

Its nice to see another type 1 on here. I posted a while back looking for some co-support and couldn't find anyone... wishing you the best of luck on your weight loss.
  • jennyab
    jennyab Posts: 20
    Options
    My BG drops quite a bit during exercise, so I remove my pump during cardio workouts, I just test like every 20 minutes. It is definitely a challenge . There is nothing worse than working out and burning calories then having to chug a coke and undo it all:(
  • tsimehc2000
    Options
    Jenny,

You may want to consider adjusting your basal rate 2 - 3 hours before you workout. Remember it takes about 2 hours of your insulin to be at its peak activity. I back it off by 70% and I've had my blood sugar slightly rise during a 800 calorie burn cardio workout. I then check it after my workout and then 30 minutes after that. At that point is when I take a bolus for the sugar level. I'm still dropping below 70 about 1 - 2 hours after that bolus, so I'm still adjusting my insulin sensitivity at that point.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed almost 10 years ago.
    thanks tsim- i usually turn my basal to 0% & eat something around 20 carbs before i workout so that i don't drop, but it would make sense to plan ahead. i hadn't thought of it like that. :o)
  • tsimehc2000
    Options
    That's good advice jnlynch,

I"ll drop it all the way to zero today. I did a workout last night and went from 230 to 61 during it.
  • valeriedent2
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm a 26 yr diabetic veteran! Been on the pump for 10 years now.

I find that having a light snack that has some protein in it, as well as carbs, is my best option for stabilizing during a workout. The carbs give me the slight boost in bloodsugar going into the workout, and then the protein kicks in and helps hold it there, without the drastic after-workout yo-yo-ing.

Bananas are a great option, add a little peanut butter or nut butter, and you're good to go! If you're ok with dairy before you workout, yogart's another great option, and greek yogart has a higher protein content than regular yogart.

One other thing that I've tried, and discovered it was too high in carbs for me, was one of those post work-out protein recovery drink mixes. But it really had way to many carbs, and I ended up with really high bloodsugars that were really difficult to get back down again because of the protein.

The flexibility of adjusting your basal is a great option when you're on the pump, too. I still haven't mastered the finesse of that yet.
  • tsimehc2000
    Options
    I took jnlynch's advice today and I went into my workout with about a 250. During the workout it hit 160 and at the end I was 135. I didn't like that 250, so I still have some playing to do with it a little more.