Vacation

Options
HELP I've been doing well because I can somewhat control what and when I eat. Going to an all inclusive place with the family. I'm scared. All suggestions welcome.

Replies

• misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am leaving for vacation on tuesday and i am also worried. However i feel like its not often i get to go on a vacation and so i am going to enjoy myself. so my plan is to eat a good breakfast and lunch and make the best decisions i can and then indulge for dinner. i also plan on working out everyday...your hotel probably has a gym you can use, so at least you can keep up with exercise. on this plan i think that i can at least not gain weight. that is my goal:to not gain weight. i think that you should definitely enjoy your vacation, it would be a shame not to. just try to make the best decisions you know how food wise. good luck!! :)
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    WALLLLLLKKKKKKKKKK. Alot!
    I went to my most fave all inclusive in Mexico in Dec (See pic .. lol) and actually LOST a pound cause we walked the beach so much. I ate and drank a tonnnnnnnnn too :)
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I have been to a few all inclusives in Mexico - and they vary from place to place. I think it depends on where you go. You may want to think about what you are currently doing and try to emulate portion size and variety while you are on vacation. Most places will have a good variety of fruit - so enjoy the local versions. Salads are good - but skip the high fat dressings - you can always squeeze fresh lemon/lime or oranges on your salad with a little black pepper for some flavor and a hit of acidity. If you go to restaurants where you can order - (many all inclusives have this) you can order foods without fat and sauces. If you are doing a buffet - stay away from fried items and anything in white sauces.

Remember to keep active and you'll keep burning your calories too.

Good luck and have a great time.
  • tlussier
    tlussier Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    All inclusive, I assume you are going somewhere warm!? I would say definitely indulge a bit but usually the buffets have a load of veggies for salads so I would start with a big salad and then go and choose what you want to eat b/c you won't be famished and you will probably make better choices. For me eating on an all inclusive vacation wouldn't be the worst of my worries it would be the beverages lol. Enjoy your holiday!!!
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Vacation is tough on a diet. It's tough for so many reasons. For me, I want a vacation from everything not just the place I live but I have learned that when I go off my diet/exercise plan for a vacation I usually gain weight fast. Not to mention that I experience stomach issues, lethargy, and end up feeling bad about myself. It's not worth it. So recently what I've tried is compromising. I stick to my plan except allowing myself one day to splurge. But even on the day of splurging I make healthy decisions (never fried food, only one sweet treat, drink lots of water and eat my usual veggie servings). That works for me. Maybe it could for you? But we're all different and part of the weight loss journey is learning what works for us and what doesn't. Best of luck to you! :smile:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I'm at home, I'm uber careful about my calories. I rarely ever go over, if I'm going to have a "cheat" meal I work out as much as I can in advance to compensate so even if I am over, it's only by a couple of hundred maximum.

When I go on vacation, all bets are off. In the same way that I don't have to worry about the day to day of my normal life with work and chores, etc, I don't worry about calories. I enjoy myself and just eat what looks good and makes me happy. Life is too short to not live it up at least a few days out of the year. Heck, I had two almost 6,000 calorie days when I was in Disneyland last December and it was 100% awesome. I'm going to be at all inclusive in Cabo in June and I fully plan on taking advantage of it.

Trust me, the first time you're lounging at the pool and can just order a basket of freshly made chips, home made guacamole and salsa fresca and they just deliver, with two icy cold bottles of water and walk away you'll be addicted to enjoying everything that all inclusive has to offer. lol (we were at one last April in Cancun)

Oh, and for every crazy vacation day of eating, I log everything I eat all day long. Even though I'm over, and know I'll be crazy over, I still log it all. Except for the Cancun trip last year. I was still really new at logging and hadn't gotten used to being able to search and estimate what I was eating when there weren't exact matches just yet.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I would personally not just stress about it and just enjoy yourself!!!

You can make the best choices you possibly can, walk the calories off as suggested, drink water, etc....but in the end, how often to get to have a vacation like that? Is one week out of 52 in the whole year going to stop and derail your progress? Probably not. So while you are out there making your good choices...

Relax! No need to increase your cortisol levels by stressing over it. Have fun and start counting those calories again when you get back. :flowerforyou: