Hi! First day signed up to MFP, not sure if I'm doing this r

Options
Hi my name is Jane. I'm 30 years old and I live in SF, California. My friend told me about My fitnesspal and I signed up this morning. My goal is to lose 10 lbs in the first month (Is that realistic?) and 15 more lbs over the next few months. After that it's just about maintaining a comfortable weight and living a more healthy lifestyle.

I gained over 25 lbs this year and I want to fit into my old clothes again. I've been using alcohol and junkfood as a comfort to get through a particularly difficult period in my life. I was in complete denial over the changes happening to my body and health. I thought I could just mask it with bigger and baggier clothes. I've started wearing my husband's clothes.

I'm just not sure what a good meal plan is on a 1200 calorie diet. I don't know how I'm going to have the discipline to stick with this. It would be inspiring to hear other people's stories and build a support system to get some extra motivation to stick to this. I feel like I'm fumbling in the dark.

How did you start?

Replies

• dcdc13
    dcdc13 Posts: 86
    Options
    Welcome!! you will find a lot of great people on here, we're all about motivating each other and getting inspired.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I just started by joining a gym. I happened upon MFP when I was looking for an app to help me track my food and exercise. I was unaware about the community aspect of the site when I started, but now that I have made some friends, and am somewhat active on the message boards, I feel like the motivation is finally here to keep going.

The site/app itself is pretty easy, and you'll get the hang of it quickly. There's a forum for recipes, and you can add friends, and possibly see their food/exercise diaries to get some ideas, as well.

Hope this helps, good luck!!
  • DaisyJane82
    DaisyJane82 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Dcdc13:)
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just start... I know that sounds simplistic but honestly it's the best approach.
    My wife started this about 3 weeks ago and has already lost over 5 lbs.
    After my second weigh in I lost 1 lbs just fine tunning it and getting the hang of logging everything is the key to success here from what I've seen.
    I had lost 10lbs before starting this but I am confident that this will help me get to my goal weight a lot easier.

good luck and most importantly have fun.
  • DancingFox
    DancingFox Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you could pull off ten in the first month. I lost eight pounds in the first two weeks. Ive hit a bit of an impasse at eight, these past couple days, but I'm hoping it keeps going, soon!
  • DaisyJane82
    Options
    Thanks Rharris! Nice to meet you!

Hi New_me, thanks for the advice and That's great that you and your wife are doing it together!
  • DaisyJane82
    Options
    Dancingfox- eight lbs in 2 weeks? that's inspiring! Are you working out a lot along with sticking to the calorie plan? I wonder how much I should be working out in order to get those kind of results

Thanks for the welcome! :)
  • elizwelshman
    Options
    Hey Jane!! Welcome to MFP! Starting out I just started by logging in my food and doing a little exercise routine until I found some sort of balance. Honesty is the first step of reaching your goal so log everything and if you don't like what you see, make the changes for yourself. This site is great, lots of motivation and inspiration. Feel free to add me. Best wishes and Good luck on your goals!!:smile:
  • DaisyJane82
    Options
    Thanks Elizwelshman for the welcome and the advice!:smile:
  • smithalcutie
    smithalcutie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey i just joined too i found the android app and i've been hooked. mfp has kept me motivated by easily telling me how many calories this and that is and how i've lost calories and keeping track of everything. I love to eat so I thought it would be hard but it's got me looking a food a whole lot differently. i'm like do i really want those calories. i haven't drank anything but water and watched my meals. i put done everything that goes in my mouth. good luck and i hope you reach your goals.
  • DaisyJane82
    Options
    Thanks Smithalcuties! Good luck to you too!

I know what you mean, all day I was seeing food in terms of calories and thinking "hmmm.. is it worth it?". It was like a bank account with limited funds that I could spend through out the day. :)
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm trying to work off 15lbs that I gained due to similar bad habits. The people on here are awesome! If you don't really know where to start with the eating plan, then check out a few of your friends' food diaries. Also finding a workout routine that fits into your schedule is key. Lots of good ideas on here for great DVDs if the gym is not your thing. Feel free to friend me, and good luck in your journey:flowerforyou:
  • DaisyJane82
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Dlj1970!

Establishing a work out routine will be the hardest part! I recently got a gym member ship at 24 hour fitness, now I just need to build up the motivation to go after a long work day when I'm feeling so tired and lethargic. :)