How can I eat more?

Options
I am not eating enough and I dont know what to do so need some ideas.

Yesturday I ended up with still over 1000 calories left and was told I need to eat more or I will go in to starvation mode.

Im not starving myself though I am eating but then for example I have 500 cals left for the day I go for a runa nd do some training and burn off 500 cals then the site says I have 1000 cals left! But I cant eat any more as I am not hungry...

Any tips?

Replies

• delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem too & have been trying to not be so restrictive like I usually am when I am being diligent in my dieting. I have been trying to add extra things like rice or sweet potatoes in with dinner as that is usually when I consume the least calories as I don't usually like to eat carbs that late. I also started having a whole cup of milk with my breakfast cereal instead of the 1/2 cup I used to have. Seems to be working as I have already lost some weight since I have started eating a bit more. I have also been allowing myself one treat a day like a cup of frozen yogurt or some dark chocolate just to get the extra calories in & have a small reward for my hard work. It has been quite nice to see results and not feel like I am denying myself the little extra's in life.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it unless my scale stops moving. When that happens, have a cheat day to shake things up, and then go back to what you are doing. I explained this site's "starvation mode" to a dietician and she said that you don't have to worry about that as much as the site leads you to believe you do.
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight then dont eat your exercise calories. It defeats the purpose of exercising! Google starvation mode myth.
  • deandt
    deandt Posts: 20
    Options
    My scales havnt moved since Monday and for the amount of exersize I do it should have moved at least 1lb so I really think I am not eating enough.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight then dont eat your exercise calories. It defeats the purpose of exercising! Google starvation mode myth.

he already if 500 short of his daily goal before exersising, so this point is moot.

and it doesnt defeat the purpose of exercising. unlike the poster i am usually still hungry when im close to my calories. a bit of exercise allows me to eat more.

this doesnt help the OP tho.

maybe try drinking something to up you calorie intake. some fruit juice or a smoothie etc.

calorie intake does mean food.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    almond work great for me!!!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Someone on hear suggested nuts so thats what I have now. Its much healthier than reaching for the chocolate bar and fairly high in calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Do you plan what you are going to eat for the day? Then you can see what is happening and add a few more healthy cals during the day so you don't end up with a big deficit at the end of the day.
    Avocados, almonds, cheese, one piece of grainy bread with no salt/sugar peanut butter are easy to fit in during the day if you plan ahead.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you would make your diary public it would be easier for us to give you suggestions. :flowerforyou:

I don't want to say what to eat more of since I don't know what you are actually eating.

Also, to the poster that stated that eating your exercise calories defeats the purpose of exercise...the purpose of exercise is not solely to burn calories. You are eating those exercise calories to fuel your workout so you can push harder through it and last longer...and the exercise's purpose is actually to increase your body's efficiency at burning calories at rest, increases organ health (not just heart and lungs), among many other things. If you exercise only to burn calories, then you might not even notice the other wonderful things that are happening as you exercise. Weight loss is just a side effect that happens.
  • mblanch
    mblanch Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try planning what you eat at the beginning of the day and trying to add just a little bit extra to each meal. Orange juice is also a very good idea :) quite a lot fo cals and also good for you :)
    I don't really know what you eat but maybe if you have lighter options try not having them and having full fat things instead. I have to have low fat coz i'm an eating machine but if you're not there's no reason to keep eating them :p

Also try waiting a week between weigh ins. Not loosing anything since monday is not bad.
    You see a big weight loss to start with but it will start to even out - I've only lost a pound in a week and have stuck to my calorie count.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If I'm having trouble meeting my goals, I usually add peanut butter, milk, and/or fruit. It's pretty easy to get to my calories that way.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problems, as I don't get to do alot of my exercise until late in
    The evening, i finished one day last week with my net calories in negative numbers!

My weight loss has slowed in the last week, so I am trying to eat a little more to see if it helps.
    I dont stress if it is just a few calories but over 500 I try and have something else.

Tm