Matthew's couch to 5k journal - running and cycling

msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
7/2/08
Well, this is the 3rd time I've tried to start the couch to 5k program. Today I went out, did a 5 minute warmup (slow walk, medium walk, fast walk, light jog, run) then switched off every minute. I made it about 12 minutes and then couldn't really run anymore. The will was there, but the arch of my right foot started to hurt, and my legs just wouldn't work right. After about 4 minutes of walking I was able to run again for another minute. I then proceeded to walk back home. I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck at week one for a couple weeks, but I know I have to keep pushing myself each time. Next time I run I'm going to try to push the on-off cycle to 14 minutes.

I suck at running. I always have, and I never expect to be very good. But there's no reason I can't run something reasonable like a 5k. Right now I'm going to be switching off daily between cycling and running to work on building up my cardio. I figure the cross training will help. My schedule will be 3 days of running, 3 days of cycling (plus whenever I ride to a friends house), and one day of walking/jogging/airsoft (tactical game, like paintball).

I'm putting a post in here so you all can yell, hiss, and scream at me when I don't update. Please help me by getting angry if I don't update!!!!

<3
Matthew

Replies

• msarro
    7/2/08
    Well, this is the 3rd time I've tried to start the couch to 5k program. Today I went out, did a 5 minute warmup (slow walk, medium walk, fast walk, light jog, run) then switched off every minute. I made it about 12 minutes and then couldn't really run anymore. The will was there, but the arch of my right foot started to hurt, and my legs just wouldn't work right. After about 4 minutes of walking I was able to run again for another minute. I then proceeded to walk back home. I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck at week one for a couple weeks, but I know I have to keep pushing myself each time. Next time I run I'm going to try to push the on-off cycle to 14 minutes.

I suck at running. I always have, and I never expect to be very good. But there's no reason I can't run something reasonable like a 5k. Right now I'm going to be switching off daily between cycling and running to work on building up my cardio. I figure the cross training will help. My schedule will be 3 days of running, 3 days of cycling (plus whenever I ride to a friends house), and one day of walking/jogging/airsoft (tactical game, like paintball).

I'm putting a post in here so you all can yell, hiss, and scream at me when I don't update. Please help me by getting angry if I don't update!!!!

<3
    Matthew
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    hello fellow matt

I too suck at running.
    My girlfriend, a former hurdler on her high school track team, has taught me a few techniques though.
    Try holding your elbow at 90 degrees and "pull" down with each step. Come back up like your going to put a chip in your mouth. (bad analogy I know) It kinda straightened some stuff out for me.
    Also the whole regulated breathing thing I am still trying to master, I forget if its in through your nose and out through your mouth or vice versa. Either way, good luck.
    Also the more you land on the mid section of your foot the better, landing on front or back will cause more pressure in a smaller area, causing the bridge to ache.
    one MORE thing, try to bring your foot as close to your butt as possible, this will increase the work out you are doing.
    Hopefully that was helpful and not confusing or hurting the process more.:ohwell:
  • PrincessDesiray
    PrincessDesiray Posts: 104 Member
    Oh my goodness I just started this today. I like you did only 15 minutes and that was it. I too will be at the 1 week mark for a bit but happy to stay there until I am ready. Glad to see someone else is here with me.
  • sandybuff
    sandybuff Posts: 6 Member
    The will was there, but the arch of my right foot started to hurt, and my legs just wouldn't work right.

Do you have running shoes? I went to a running specialty store, I was there for about 45 min, ran a 1/2 mile, and they did a foot strike analysis. By doing this they were able to watch how I ran in the different shoes, and fit a shoe to my foot. Running shoes are usually lighter and will last from 300 to 500 miles. This will also help with shin splints and arch issues.

Now that I am done pretending I know what I am writing about. It is hard to start running. So I totally sympathize with you. My husband and I signed up for a 5K (July 4) and I am totally dreading it. It will be my first 5K in five years. However, I guess it did give a goal to work for and kick our butts in gear. My race time isn't as good as I wish it were, but oh well. I guess I will just keep trying and hope it eventually gets better.

Good Luck!
  • msarro
    Thanks! I actually have a pair of running shoes from the specialty store. They had me run on a treadmill to get an idea of how my foot hits the ground, and also looked at the shape of my foot. My left foot feels fine in the shoes, the right foot is the only one that feels pain in the arch. Knowing my luck, my feet are lopsided, lol.

Thanks for advice and pick me ups guys!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,646 Member
    Matt and Princess D - we would love it if you joined our MFP Running Club - you will get lots and lots of great daily support there! There are a few doing the Couch to 5K program and then there are lots of 5K veterans who can help you along on your journey! It is very motivating reading how much everyone is running and that they are experiencing the same ups and downs as you are....

No matter what you decide - we support you!! Keep Moving!!

tricia :flowerforyou:
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Good job Matt - the hardest part is always starting! :wink:
  • tpdance
    tpdance Posts: 21
    are u following a 5K training or making up your own? It takes time, a good 5K training session should take 6-8 weeks, so make sure u r not doing too much too soon. When i did my 5K training, the first session/week was only a 10 min session. That was about it, 10-12 min the whole first week maybe week and a half. Then you increase each week by 2-5 min. Start w/ a 4 min walk 1 min jog, then thru out the weeks start adding time and slowing shift from more minutes of walking to more minutes of jogging and less walking. But spread over at least 6 weeks. I had a really great training schedule, if i can find it i will share but it was from over a year ago so don't know if will have much luck finding it. Plus i like runner's world magazine (specifically their website), great tips as well as great training workouts and schedules that work best for u. The cross training is GREAT way to see results in ur cardio endurance and keeps the body guessing so blast more fat and u shouldn't get bored.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I'm also trying to work up to running. (not. good. at it.) I just started doing this thing "podrunner" from iTunes. (if you're an iPoder) you can download this "First Day to 5K" thing that does the timing and distance increase for you. The music is super-techno-ey, but it's free and my first 25 minute session did go by quickly.

Just a suggest.
  • psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    i am impresseed with you all....

i too am part of the "i suck at running" family.

i try, and have worked my way up to being able to run for 3 minutes, walk for 2 minutes and keep that cycle repeating for 3.2 miles - but i never seem to get over that hump, then i stop cause i suck at it. mind you my "run" is a 5.0 on the treadmill and my walk is a 4.0. never tried it outside....too hot these days.

maybe i'll start back up and join you all in the journey
  • psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    by the way - HOLY COW! you lost 101 pounds!!!!!

I stand in awe of you and your accomplishment!!!!

and viviakay - 86 pounds - you guys amaze me!!!!!!!!
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    I love the couch to 5K program! I feel like I am dating the guy on the Podcast. I am a little afraid of week 5. I had an out of town week with no running and it has a 20 minute run in it. Yikes!

If you want a good laugh, I got passed by the 12 year old running club last week, but at least I am out there!
  • msarro
    Well, I faltered already :(

I'm going out for a run this afternoon. After my run last week I ended up getting caught up in cycling training for my big trip to the abandoned highway and kind of ignored jogging. Plus the holiday didn't help, since the roads I planned to jog on were inundated with traffic. And a ton of other excuses.

The fact is, I didn't go.

And I need to stop that. You can do this Matthew. Stop making excuses and do it.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Well, I faltered already :(

I'm going out for a run this afternoon. After my run last week I ended up getting caught up in cycling training for my big trip to the abandoned highway and kind of ignored jogging. Plus the holiday didn't help, since the roads I planned to jog on were inundated with traffic. And a ton of other excuses.

The fact is, I didn't go.

And I need to stop that. You can do this Matthew. Stop making excuses and do it.

yes good boy!!! get you're butt out there Matthew!!! no more excuses!!!

how was that...I'm not a "strong" at "intimidating" ...but I wanted to help buddy!!! :flowerforyou: ps....I think you rock...and get out there, you'll love the way you feel after!!!

hugs!
    ali
This discussion has been closed.