What is your favourite American-ism?

Options

Replies

• halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Alternatively you could click on 'Community' -> 'My Topics' and there's a full list of all the forum boards you've posted on - no need for 'bumping'! :smile:
    Still gotta post into it for it to appear in "My Topics". As such, if you don't have an idiom to add then you'd have to bump so as to follow it.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    *kitten* = cigarette - that one always makes me laugh. If you asked for a *kitten* in the states, you'd sound really bad!

Especially if you asked if you could bum a *kitten*....as in to take a cigarette for free from one of your mates...

Bum a *kitten*??? Oh...My...GAWD. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can see a Facebook status message forming in my head...

Only just realised how awful that must sound to the non-UK'ers! LOL
  • Justibone
    Options
    In American, "queue" is only a verb when playing pool, also known as billiards. We also prefer to form "lines" instead of "queues", but we use queues (queue sticks) to hit billiard balls. There's something so odd about that word, I'm not even certain I spelled it correctly.

"Telly" = television (I'm not sure whether Brits still use that one), which Americans just call "TV"
    "Lorrie" = truck, or the American "semi", "18-wheeler", "tractor-trailer" or even "rig". Lorries are smaller than "semis".
    "Knackered" = sounds filthy, but isn't.
    "Chips" = fries
    "Crisps" = chips
    "Biscuit" = cookie
    "Tea" = a snack or small meal between lunch and dinner -- not literally just hot water and herbs

My boss is British, we love to tease him about his mother's kidney pie. He nearly drools thinking of it. Then again, British food is an entirely different thread. ;)

Cheers!
  • Justibone
    Options
    Oh, yeah!

"Tube" = subway

Cheers!
  • netty1983
    netty1983 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In American, "queue" is only a verb when playing pool, also known as billiards. We also prefer to form "lines" instead of "queues", but we use queues (queue sticks) to hit billiard balls. There's something so odd about that word, I'm not even certain I spelled it correctly.

"Telly" = television (I'm not sure whether Brits still use that one), which Americans just call "TV"
    "Lorrie" = truck, or the American "semi", "18-wheeler", "tractor-trailer" or even "rig". Lorries are smaller than "semis".
    "Knackered" = sounds filthy, but isn't.
    "Chips" = fries
    "Crisps" = chips
    "Biscuit" = cookie
    "Tea" = a snack or small meal between lunch and dinner -- not literally just hot water and herbs

My boss is British, we love to tease him about his mother's kidney pie. He nearly drools thinking of it. Then again, British food is an entirely different thread. ;)

Cheers!

If your standing in a line its queue, if your playing a game with a stick its a cue
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    "Bangs" for fringe makes me giggle.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Sneakers - Trainers - Runners - Joggers - Depending on where in the world you are

Bathers, Swimmers, Swimming Costume, togs etc...
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    Alternatively you could click on 'Community' -> 'My Topics' and there's a full list of all the forum boards you've posted on - no need for 'bumping'! :smile:
    Still gotta post into it for it to appear in "My Topics". As such, if you don't have an idiom to add then you'd have to bump so as to follow it.

Good point! It's too early in the week for my brain to be fully functional yet! :wink:
  • curleesam
    Options
    "Bangs" for fringe makes me giggle.

I did not know that!!! I've heard the phrase before and wondered what on earth it meant!! That is too funny :smile:
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Was dating a Brit and I needed him to call me to wake me up for an important meeting. He asked, "What time do you want me to knock you up?" I nearly peed my pants on that one.
  • curleesam
    Options
    Was dating a Brit and I needed him to call me to wake me up for an important meeting. He asked, "What time do you want me to knock you up?" I nearly peed my pants on that one.

I've never heard that one before...!!!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    i like all of them......i find myself saying "for sure" a lot.......calling my mobile my "cell"..........on mfp i am paticularly fond of "wtg" "great burn" and "good job".

the last guy I dated was an American......he used to make me say the word taboo over and over, as he liked how it sounded in a british accent, lol.

I'm sure he LOVED it when you said "Taboo" :P hahaha
    In the US we do actually use the word queue but not as often- and yes we describe the queue as a "line" more often than not.

One other vary obvious difference, I hear UK people saying "telly" we Americans usually say "TV".
    Instead of saying "advert" we say "ad" simply

I adore the way a lot of people in the UK say "posh" I think it's really cute.

I can't think of anymore..I need my coffee :p
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I luv this thread being from the Caribbean we tend to use some British and some UK words and then of course we have words of our own...
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Elevators = lifts
    chicks = birds
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options

If your standing in a line its queue, if your playing a game with a stick its a cue

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I almost fell out of my chair lol. A pool cue is a noun by the way, not a verb. A queue can be a noun or a verb. You can stand in a queue (noun). Or you can queue up for something (verb).

As a side note even we Americans are different in this aspect. Where I live it is proper to say "I'm waiting in line for something to eat." In the other parts of the country they say "I'm waiting ON line at the cash register." I don't know why they think they are waiting on a line instead of in one.

So I have some questions for the Brits about slang. I'm pulling these from the movie Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrrels:

"It's no good standing out there like one o'clock half-struck" = what? What is like one o'clock half struck?

"His iron's rusted" = what?

"Gone to the local battle-cruiser" = ?

"Aristotle of the most ping pong tiddly in the nuclear sub" = ?

Are any of these common?
  • mikeyml
    Options
    Double Post - Sorry
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Then again, British food is an entirely different thread. ;)

So what is the American stereotype of British food? Is it all totally inedible or something?
    :smile:
  • mikeyml
    Options

So what is the American stereotype of British food? Is it all totally inedible or something?

Fish and chips, lots of boiled potatoes, food that is bland or has no taste, warm beer, warm drinks in general
  • curleesam
    Options

Fish and chips, lots of boiled potatoes, food that is bland or has no taste, warm beer, warm drinks in general

ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa! It its terrible Brits are known for bland food but I guess its true! This is why I tend to eat mostly Caribbean food, lots of spice and FLAVOUR!
  • bahrainbel
    bahrainbel Posts: 194
    Options

As opposed to what? If it's not nailed down, deep fry it?