Tasty Salad Dressing - I need a recipe!!

Options
ShonzG
ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
Normally I would drown salad in mayonnaise... Obviously not a good idea if you want to loose weight.... Any ideas about what I can use? I love spicy things like wasabi, sweet chili sauce.... I'm also a celiac so it can't be something that contains wheat....

I'll be greatful for any suggestions!

Replies

• jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine out of vinegar (aged white or red wine, balsamic (brown or white) or raspberry if u want a sweet one, I like my sald dressinging to be quite tart more like a vingeratte so I usually do three parts vinegar to 1 part oil and if I am useing aged red or white wine vinegar i ususally put in a tbs of dijon mustard and this make its creamy and make 1/2 of whoelgran to add some variety, a garlic clove cut in half and some pepper, u can also add toasted pine nuts, fresh rosemary to that and they work really well with the blasmaic. If u want to be really good cut out the oil all together

If u find it to tart cut back one vinegar or a sprinkle of sugar
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    BUMP! I'll be watching for any, as well! :drinker:
  • Smokenmirrors
    Smokenmirrors Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try a nice Asian rice wine vinegar with some light soy. add some toasted sesame seed and just a hint of sesame seed oil....Very nice with a salad that has tuna.

or use a nice Balsamic and extra extra virgin olive oil. Add fresh Rosemary and just a hint of fresh grated Parm...

Just sayin...
  • Jessikarrr
    Options
    Make a lemon based one. Basically juice however many lemons (depending on how much you want to make) then add some crushed garlic, basil (dried or paste form) TINY bit of mint, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. If you want it with a little kick to it try adding some cayenne pepper (powder form).

That's my favorite dressing. Try it and let me know if you like it :)
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    there are so many flavored oils and vinegars out right now! I mix honey balsamic vinegar with olive oil. That is delicious on raw spinach! Take a look at the flavored oils and vinegars in the supermarket. Find flavors you like, then add some red pepper flakes for some heat! I have gone to a couple specialty stores that specialize in oil and vinegar. I have never seen so many flavors. They have little cups out, so you can mix and match flavors of olive oil and vinegars. Fruits, nuts, and spices all flavor the oils and vinegars. They even had a lot of suggestions to try.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you like creamy dressings, try adding things to FF greek yogurt. You could add ketchup and relish for a thousand Island style dressing, or ranch seasoning for a ranch dip style dressing. You'll get the added benefit of protein and no extra fat!
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This is a fellow chef's recipe.. I have many of them in my family , part of the joy of growing up in a restaurant and the whole family running it
    So, Im starting to get recipes from them too so we can all cook more healthy meals.
    This would be good on salad for make it to drizzle over chicken and add in some sliced oranges or dried cranberries, almonds or toasted pecans.

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tbsp honey
    3 tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt
    1/2 tbsp EVOO

Makes 3/4 cup.

Nutrition
    per 2-tablespoon serving:
    62 cals
    4 grams fat,
    no cholesterol
    192 mg sodium
    6 g carbs

CHEF JENN
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love the wishbone spray ranch dressing! 10 sprays are only 15 calories. It's really good. I used to enjoy a lot of dressing too but now I use just enough to get a flavor and I'm happy :)
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    Normally I would drown salad in mayonnaise... Obviously not a good idea if you want to loose weight.... Any ideas about what I can use? I love spicy things like wasabi, sweet chili sauce.... I'm also a celiac so it can't be something that contains wheat....

One of my favorites is: 2T. EVOO...2T Apple Cidar Vinegar...1TBS. Sugar free Jam...my fav is Figs, but peach is delicious too, whatever you like really....Love it! I mix it in that little 2C Blender...you know the one they sell on info commercials.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    here is an easy one I love

Juice one grapefruit (white, pink, red)
    one avocado
    one tsp of healthy oil. Flax hemp whatever.

Put into a blender and mix until smooth. More water can be added to make it runnier.

I use chili infused flax oil as the oil to give it that spice and also add some fresh ground pepper. Water usually has to be added to make it as smooth as I like it.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i make a shrimp feta cheese salad. Everytime I change it up
    you can load it with shrimps too because they are low call

2 oz feta cheese
    2 servings of shrimp, make on stove. I make it kinda hot
    Romain lettuce
    Avacado
    Tomato
    Strawberries
    Blueberries

With a nice tasty balsamic dressing. My wife makes that. AWESOME
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    We switched from Iceburg or Romaine lettuce to spinach and often use dried cranberries instead of dressings. I've become accustomed to salad without dressing now and even without the dried cranberries I don't miss the dressing in spinach salads. But we always use a lot of cucumber, peppers, diced apple among other things to keep the salad tastey.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey.
  • nickfarrow
    Options
    In a bowl, mix 1 tsp of horseradish with 2-3 tsp with low fat fromage frais, good pinch of sea salt and good grind of black pepper. Some grated lemon rind and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
    Adjust ingredients to taste, you may want to add more horseradish if you like. Add some tarragon to get that extra dimension. tastes amazing!

This goes brilliantly with Salmon, beef, or a good beetroot salad!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the southwestern style salads! So I usually have lettuce, with whatever veggies I have, some black beans, a little motz cheese, and sometimes I won't even need dressing because it has so much flavor already. Or, sometimes I just use a little avacado for flavor.

Also, I've learned from my mom, that if you have your salad dressing in a container or cup, just dip your fork in it to get a little on it, and then use it to pick up some salad. It lets you have the dressing you love, and also limits how much you eat.

Another observation I had, is that when I used the fat free salad dressings, the salads never held me over. Now, I switched either to lite, or the regular southwest ranch, and they hold me over longer with a little fat in there.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    What does balsamic taste like? I have been to nervous to try it.

I like Bolthouse Farms creamy yogurt ranch dressing. Its not the same as my hidden valley I love but hoping with time I will grow to love it. It's the closest I have found to a good ranch.
  • ShonzG
    Options

One of my favorites is: 2T. EVOO...2T Apple Cidar Vinegar...1TBS. Sugar free Jam...my fav is Figs, but peach is delicious too, whatever you like really....Love it! I mix it in that little 2C Blender...you know the one they sell on info commercials.

What exactly is EVOO???? I've never heard of it before!!
  • ShonzG
    Options

Also, I've learned from my mom, that if you have your salad dressing in a container or cup, just dip your fork in it to get a little on it, and then use it to pick up some salad. It lets you have the dressing you love, and also limits how much you eat.

Excellent idea!! Thanks for that!
  • ShonzG
    Options
    That's quite a lot of ideas! I'll have to try some of them out! Thanks everyone!

:happy:
  • anitanz
    anitanz Posts: 72
    Options
    For an asian style dressing I use 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon soy sauce (you could use timari), a few drops of sesame oil, 1 big teaspoon crushed ginger and some pepper (don't need salt due to the soy sauce). Somtimes I add some fresh chilli too.
    Yum!