Anyone tried being hypnotized?

Options
Has anyone tried hypno therapy for losing weight? I bought a weight loss book a while back and it contains a hypnosis CD, thinking about giving it a try along with my calorie counting, has anyone else tried it and had any success?

Replies

• 2011body
    2011body Posts: 6
    Options
    I tried it, mainly to get rid of my sugar cravings, which is the main reason I gain weight. But it did not really work. I was not able to get really into it during the session, and have not followed up as I should listening to the CD afterwards. But a colleague at work has had success with hypnosis, and is much less prone to overeat on sweets now.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I used Paul Mckenna I can make you thin, and it worked for me. :)

And i've been consistantly getting rid of weight for just over 2 years (may not be the fastest but i'd rather have maintainable weight loss, than going on something for x amount of time then gorging after, which i did after a number of diets).
  • Shofie_1910
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I'll give it a go, no harm in trying it out myself
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I post about the benefits of self-hypnosis rather frequently. Approx 16 yrs ago I used self-hypnosis tapes to help me quit smoking. I listened to them daily for 6 months both the subliminal (all you hear is music and the sound of waves) and the talking message. When my target date arrived I stopped and never looked back. I've never even been tempted. I also had a goal that other people smoking couldn't bother me and to this day I'll let people smoke in my car or home (most won't, its been pounded into them that its bad) and I won't care. I've never even been tempted and I was a hard core 1 pack a day + smoker for over 20 yrs.

For the last year I've been listening to weight-loss self-hypnosis CD's almost every night at bedtime. I almost always fall asleep, or think I do, but when I'm awake and listening to the messages I realize its all been absorbed. The messages are incredibly positive and helpful. It really can't HURT you to listen to positive messages and to help you change your eating patterns.

I truly believe the head game in weight-loss is 1/3 of the battle, a 3-legged stool if you will (1/3 mind game, 1/3 food and nutrition and 1/3 exercise). You can tell yourself stuff over and over and over and it still may not take until you've engaged your subconscious mind in the process. Sometimes our active mind engagement just in the way. Deep relaxation and mindfulness and breathing can really channel you through to a subconscious level, not to mention relieve anger, frustration, anxiety and infuse you with good feelings about yourself!

I went to amazon and perused all the self-hypnosis options, there are MANY.

good luck and happy eating!!!
    JoJo
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    As a previous Psychology student, I loved learning the in's and out's of the brain. I would recommend giving it a go. If you are completely against hypnosis, then it won't work, however (usually), because you create a mental road block.

I was a test subject in a hypnosis psych study about bringing forth memories that are suppressed and WOW was I surprised when it worked, as it was my first time dealing with hypnosis. Its worth a try!
  • Shofie_1910
    Options
    Thanks JoJo!
    And well done on the quitting smoking, my OH is desperately trying to quit so i may try hypnosis for him aswell!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks and you're welcome!

Currently my favorite weight-loss CD is one that incorporates mindfulness and a yogic meditation. I'm not religious at all so I wondered if these approaches would work for me and they really do.

My Norwegian relatives used to use the term mindful all the time: mind that you don't do this, or be mindful of that. They'd be amused now to think they were using the same philosophy Buddhists use. And really, what's the opposite of mindful? Its mindless. I believe mindless eating got me to being morbidly obese. I'm now believing that mindfulness can bring me out of it.

If self-hypnosis can help me be mindful of my dietary hygiene and to bring me to a healthy and sustainable eating pattern, why not use it? MFP really helps me be mindful by providing me the tools to record my food and exercise and to plan ahead. This has really been amazing to me: that the mere observation of what you eat will cause you to make better choices (its totally quantum, LOL).

again, good luck and HAPPY eating
    JoJo