GERD and MFP

Options
Good morning all!

In early Jan of this year my MFP journey and being diagnosed with GERD (Gastroesophogal Reflux Disease) unintentionally coincided. I was actually doing Weight Watchers and was getting frustrated with only knowing the "points value" of what I was eating and not educating myself with the actual nutritional value, bringing me to MFP (yay!!). Having already made the commitment to eating healthier, I actually was receptive to my doctors news that I needed to start eating healthier and cutting out certain foods that were irritating my stomach.

So. At first I was whiney. Cut WAY down on coffee (OMG is she serious), chocolate (OMFG I think she is!), citrus (oh crap its winter thats the only fruit I eat in the winter), tomato based foods (eh, easy enough), fried foods (sweet already done that one), garlic, spicy foods, onions, and basically any citrusy foods that may irritate the stomach. However, I quickly embraced it and have experience not only relief in symptoms, but also a way to track what I am eating, and identify foods that I wasn't aware of that are causing issues!

My question to anyone who is still reading this is, what types of foods do you eat on a daily basis that don't cause heartburn or GERD symptoms? I am interested in adding to my grocery list, and expanding my food horizons, trying different things, but I really am a pretty basic food person. Looking at my diary I realized I am eating WAY too much dairy, ie, cereal with milk, followed by a yogurt a couple of hours later, followed by a small lunch, and then sometimes peaches and a little low fat cottage cheese for a snack before I head home to sleep. The dairy is not cooperating with my tummyness. I think I need to work in a different kind of protien too keep me full longer. I work in a sedentary job and have to bring all of the food I am going to eat for the day with me for a 10-12 hour shift, and its sometimes tough to plan 4 of the 5 small meals I am going to eat at work, at 1am when I am getting ready for work. Any suggestions will help!

Everyone have a fabulous day =)

Jen

Replies

• cdelbove
    cdelbove Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    I have GERD too. I am down to one small cup of coffee a day with breakfast, never more than that or my stomach hurts so bad that it isnt worth it! My favorite snack to bring to work right now is an apple cut up or 100 calorie pack of pretzels with 2 tblsp. of Natural Peanut Butter. The PB is high in protein, with no added sugar and it fills you up for hours. You have to get the natural version that has no added salt or sugar. Sometimes for breakfast I have a banana with 1 tblsp. of PB and a drizzle of honey. It is so satisfying and helps with my sweet tooth. Another great afternoon snack is a hardboiled egg with a little bit of salt and pepper. The protein fills you without adding fat and it tastes really good. I have found that eating smaller meals thru the day helps control my GERD symptoms as well because when you fill your stomach too much it pushes your stomach acids up into the bottom of your esophagus and makes it burn. Hope some of these ideas are appealing to you.
    Cristen
  • Jacy707
    Jacy707 Posts: 18
    Options
    Ooh I love all of those ideas! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond =)
  • MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Morning Jen! I used to have heartburn lots - too much soda and really crappy foods. Now I never have it, but my hubby has the same type of thing you do, so we have to pay attention to what we put in him. Spicy foods are definitely out and he just told me that making sure he doesn't eat too much at one time is also helpful for him - being too full always makes him unhappy. As for other foods that you can eat... do you like other fruits? I eat lots of bananas and apples in the winter. Grapes and cantaloupe if I can get good ones - not always easy in Montana in winter! Does the doctor have you taking anything as well? Sorry, not really helpful, but knowing how frustrating it is to eat and then not feel good. It is a sad statement that it takes us as humans so long to figure out that eating right really will make us feel better! Good luck. I know you'll get some great ideas from MFP folks. :smile:
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My son had GERD but not any more thanks to surgery.

Any drink that is fizzy is a no no and fruit juice is very acidic so worth avoiding.

Not eating for a couple of hours before exercise was important for him as well.

His GERD was quite bad so we found that any food was a problem but eating smaller meals more often could ease it a little bit.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I had GERD pretty bad. I think I had tried all the OTC meds at the pharmacy at one time or another. As I cleaned up my foods it started to go away. I eat about 80% clean. The things I notice that will bring on the GERD for me are the things made from white flour...pastries, pasta, breads, crackers etc. Packaged foods!! Also when I have an acidic fruit by its self. As long as I pair it with some sort of protein I do ok. As long as I use half and half in my coffee in the morning I am fine. NEVER will I give up my coffee! For snacking items I use boiled eggs, chicken tenders, carrots, apples, yogurt, shrimp, and LF cheese sticks. As long as I don't do too much dairy at one time (about 1/2 cup) I don't get the effects. I have also noticed that I have to take any meds or vitamins after a meal. After 7 months on MFP I hardly ever get the heartburn anymore.
  • Jacy707
    Jacy707 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will try all those things. Its good to hear its manageable...:bigsmile: