Which nutrients are best to keep track of?

Options
amarie35
amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
I keep track of carbs, fat, protein, fiber, & sodium. I've noticed that others keep track of totally different ones. Can some of you please tell me which nutrients are the best to keep track of? I don't have high cholesterol, so should I even be keeping track of my sodium intake. I do have a tendency to go over my sodium and that's why I've been watching it so much here lately. But I drink at least 8 cups of water a day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GOD BLESS!

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would still track your sodium, it can do so much damage. Also, if you have a history of high blood pressure in your family, you'll want to make sure you track it to protect yourself. Sodium doesn't cause high blood pressure, but if you are suseptible (spelling?)to it from family history, I'd watch it.

I track the same ones you do, just with calories too.

Good luck!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I keep track of sodium, fat, carbs, sat fat, protein.
    It's more where you have trouble. I'm a vegetarian, so my fiber is through the roof, and my sugar is mostly natural, so i don't need to see it. I go over on sat fat and sodium though, so i try to keep aware of where I am. It's all to where you struggle, or need to know
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the person really. I know I watch my Sodium like a angry hawk.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this. It depends on your health goals. You can always switch which elements display at any given time, too.

For myself, I track saturated fat specifically (not fats in general) because it's the saturated fat that your body turns into cholesterol. I don't have a problem with cholesterol AND I DON'T WANT ONE so this is about teaching myself the sat fat levels in the foods I like to eat.

I track sodium because my body is very sensitive to it. My blood pressure goes up quickly with just a bit too much sodium. There are a lot of other problems associated with sodium too including stiffening blood vessels, bloat, headaches, and more. Others may not have as much trouble with it.

I track potassium because it moderates the effects of sodium in your body. I try to get more potassium than sodium, and that seems to be working well for me.

And every once in awhile I switch everything around to get a good overview of the nutritional composition of my diet in general. It isn't just about losing weight to me. It's about being healthy!
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    I watch first and foremost my calories. Then I track protein, fat, carbs and sodium. I try to get my protein so I'm not hungry as much, try to keep my carbs within limits(which is hard to do). I track my sodium because too much sodium can make you retain water which makes you seem to weight more(or have not lost any). I track my fat because if I go over on my fat then I cannot get my protein and carbs without going over. Protein and Carbs have ~4 calories per gram and fat has ~9 calories per gram. I had been watching my fiber out of curiousity to see how much I was getting.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I watch first and foremost my calories. Then I track protein, fat, carbs and sodium. I try to get my protein so I'm not hungry as much, try to keep my carbs within limits(which is hard to do). I track my sodium because too much sodium can make you retain water which makes you seem to weight more(or have not lost any). I track my fat because if I go over on my fat then I cannot get my protein and carbs without going over. Protein and Carbs have ~4 calories per gram and fat has ~9 calories per gram. I had been watching my fiber out of curiousity to see how much I was getting.

I watch the same things. I wish MFP didn't limit the criteria you could see.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...I track the calories also. I don't know why I didn't include that! LOL! Thanks for the advice!
  • pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have the android app, and it has a home screen display that provides stats on all the parameters. On the website you have to choose the five most important to you. Unless someone else knows how to get to all the stats on the web interface? But the android app has a very useful summary of all daily food statistics.