HOw to log P90X workouts?

Options
I just joined MFP today (like 5min ago). I've been doing P90X for 5wks. Wondering how to calculate the various workouts. Also,if you are also doing P90X, how is it going for you? Weight loss? Following their nutrition plan? Results (and when did you notice them)??

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    You may have to add the workouts yourself. I found that it was easier just to log the workouts in WOWY and not worry about logging them here.

I did it about a year ago and got some pretty good results. Didn't lose much weight but definitely got a good amount of muscle definition. The nutrition plan is great but pretty complex. Are you a Beachbody Club member? If so they have the meal planner online. It tells you what to eat for each meal, how to make it, and you can even print a shopping list!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have done a couple P90X workouts, I am not following the meal plan and not doing the workouts in order, every day. But I log the calories burned using a HRM because they aren't in the exercise database. I think we need to make a post on the suggestion page that they add all the popular exercise routines such as P90X, Zumba, and a few others that I can't think of right now...
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I don't think I'm a Beachbody Club Member (my husband bought the set, and I never saw the CD that they mention to sign into the "Club"). Unfortunately the message boards, blogs, etc on beachbody.com are blocked at work )-: And here is where I do my logging, planning, etc.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm in phase 2. I manually log them in. You determine how many calories burned by using either a heart rate monitor or figuring it out your self based on your heart rate. Once you manually enter the workouts here, they stay available on your account, but they don't go to the bigger database
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Cool, do you have a heartrate monitor you'd recommend?
  • AndreaCBR
    AndreaCBR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 405CX heart rate monitor, and I love it! I also wear it for P90X workouts.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Thanks for the rec, gotta check it out (-:
  • Tiffanyfitin2011
    Options
    i use the calisthenics moderate level and its pretty much the same i think
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    just started today arms back and did 30/50 min and can barely type. burnt 300 calories. just logged in "px90"
  • sm26davis
    sm26davis Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm in week 8 and I manually add mine in to. I also use a HRM that also counts calories burned. I use one I bought at walmart for like $30. I can't afford the body bug and all I wanted it to do is the HRM and calories burned. I haven't lost much weight, but some inches. Im not following the meal plan but you do need to eat close to what they tell you you need to. I spent all of January busting my butt and not eating enough and my body went into starvatiton mode and I couldn't do week six. So for the past two weeks I have been trying to eat the right amount of calories!!!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90X Lean (week 2 day 4). I wear a heart rate monitor (Polar FT7...love it) and log all of the cardio exercises as is on the HRM (Cardio-X, Kenpo-X, if I was doing classic, Plyo) and I log 2/3 of the calories burned on the strength exercise routines, including Yoga-X. The reason for this is you are not getting an accurate burn measurement on an HRM when doing anaerobic excercise like strength and yoga. It is due to the uptake of oxygen (or lack of, in this case) and the fact that the majority of heart rate increase is due to PRESSURE changes instead of VOLUME requirement changes when doing cardio.

I log the workouts as my own exercises so I can track them. Once you do them once, they are always there. You just have to amend minutes and calories burned.

I have been averaging about 1.75lb/week weight loss following this.

As for the meal plan, I do not follow the nutritional plan but I did set up MFPs protein, carb, and fat percentages to match the Fat Shredder portion of the nutrition plan. As a result of the increased protein requirements, I went and plunked some money down on pre/post recovery protein supplements, meal replacement supplements, and Casein protein supplement for night time. Jury is out on if that will work out for me. Also, eating chicken and turkey like there is no tomorrow and also eating whitefish and peel and eat shrimp, when I can convince my better half to spend the money.

Hope that helps...
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Great info, Bob.

Regarding the recovery supplements - what are you using? The reviews of the beachbody's new recovery drink aren't that great.
  • reepobob
    Options
    One other thing...I had issues with losing signal on the chest band of my HRM due to lack of moisture during the early part of my workouts (I take a little bit of time to get a lather going). If you have the same issue as me (very frustrating when you are moving like a wildman and the HRM reads 00), after wetting down the chest strap, rub some water based lubricant (like KY jelly) on the strap's sensors. I haven't had an issue since...
  • reepobob
    Options
    I use GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein mixed with 1% low-fat chocolate milk for Pre and Post recovery (cookies and cream), I use GNC Pro Performance Amplified Wheybolic Extreme Chocolate for meal replacement (I only use 1/3 or 2/3 of the serving size...one serving size is 60g of Protein...a little much for one serving IMO), and I use Dymatize Nutrition Elite Casien Chocolate as a night time supplement. I only use the Casien if I have calories to use. It is supposed to metabolize slowly as you sleep for long term muscle repair. The meal replacement and nightime supplements are mixed in water. All three taste decent as long as they are mixed properly.

I just started using them since I just changed my nutrient percentages, so the jury is out. If based on taste, I would recommend them, but I am not all that picky.

I went to GNC because there is one less than 5 minutes from my house and I don't have to pay the higher prices or shipping on BeachBody.com.