Has everyone been recalculating your calories as you lose we

BrianJLamb
BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I was about 181 when I started on the site. I had dropped from 197 to that weight before I found the app on my phone. When I set up my account and I and I entered my stats, MFP gave me a 1430 goal for my calories. 9 lbs later and I went in and adjusted my goals and recalculated and my new daily intake goal is 1360 or something like that. I am wondering if everyone does this.

Replies

• i started 140 i think and went down 13 lb and recalculated as well.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Yeah, I recalculate about every 10 lbs lost.
  • mogzBH
    mogzBH Posts: 50
    I planned to recalculate for every 10lbs lost. Not done my first one yet, hopefully next week!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Yes. I just recently recalculated so I can eat more. 1200kcal a day, although it did wonders (I lost a lot of weight) was draining my energy. I was constantly tired. Doing better on 1370kcal and still losing!
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    I was just wondering about this last night...as I have just started here 6 days ago. Where do you go to recalculate it?
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    I use the custom goals and recalculate about every 5 pounds.

Another thing is to remember to update your body weight in your HRM if you have one.
  • shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Are you talking about the BMR calculator? That told me 1700+ calories, but I have been using 1300 as my goal. So that was wrong? No wonder I've been losing....
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    A message pops up telling you to recalculate when you've lost a certain number of lbs. Mine popped up at 12lbs lost.
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    I recalculated mine when I finally got a job. I started waitressing and began losing the weight slower. So, I recalculated to account for the new activity level.
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Ok thanks Painten... :)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    I was about 181 when I started on the site. I had dropped from 197 to that weight before I found the app on my phone. When I set up my account and I and I entered my stats, MFP gave me a 1430 goal for my calories. 9 lbs later and I went in and adjusted my goals and recalculated and my new daily intake goal is 1360 or something like that. I am wondering if everyone does this.
    If you are using the "suggested/guided" goals that MFP calculates it should change your goals for you as you lose weight. If you did custom, you need to change your own. I believe MFP checks for a 10 lbs loss before making the automatic changes.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    I've just been recalculating every now and then just because. If I'm having a hard time meeting my goals, or if I'm not feeling good, etc. But assuming I eventually get things evened out, yes, I'll be recalculating as I lose.
  • AlistairBrown
    AlistairBrown Posts: 11 Member
    Can you tell me how to recalculate?

I was 246 now 224 aiming for 209 by Easter.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    seems to be very low calories for a man there Brian
  • dlm10
    dlm10 Posts: 39 Member
    I've never seen this message and I have lost 22 lbs so far. What screen do you see this on?
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,635 Member

Funny you should post this. Yes I did as of yesterday. I also changed my carb/protien/fats ratio too. One thing I wish, when we changed our calorie goals, that it would NOT change the past entered food log calories required.

By the way why are your calorie in takes so low? For a male it should be higher.

Just my thought...................................
  • BrianJLamb
    If you are using the "suggested/guided" goals that MFP calculates it should change your goals for you as you lose weight. If you did custom, you need to change your own. I believe MFP checks for a 10 lbs loss before making the automatic changes.

This is good to know. I am only at the 9 lbs mark, so no auto recalc for me. I didnt know how it was working for everyone else. I know I have looked at peoples journals and their caloric goals and I wondered how frequently people checked on the adjustments.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Bump
  • BrianJLamb
    I've never seen this message and I have lost 22 lbs so far. What screen do you see this on?

My Home (Tab)
    Goals
    Change Goals
    Use recommended

I entered a different loss goal. Hit enter to update. Then I changed my goal back to my original goal. My calories dropped.

@Keefypoos...I never claimed to be a man. I am a large child at best.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 983 Member
    Hi, I'm following the Rosemary Conley diet (in the uk) and they recalculate my weight after every stone (14 lbs) lost - and that's the number I put in MFP.
This discussion has been closed.