Regular vs. Less Fat Products

Options
hummzz
hummzz Posts: 384 Member
I want to point something out and get y'alls opinions!

Philadelphia Cream Cheese vs. 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese:
Regular PC=Fat 9g, Sat Fat 6g, Carbs 1g, Sugars: <1g Protein 2g, Sodium 105mg.

1/3 Less PC=Fat 6 g, Sat Fat 3.5g, Carbs: 2g, Sugars 2g, Sodium 140g!!!!!

This is what I was talking about when buying what we think is better for us! The less fat cream cheese has higher sugar and sodium! Is this really worth it? I think I'd rather take the hit on my Fat and Calories than the Sodium and Sugars. What do y'all think?

To me the difference isn't significant enough for me to continue eating the less fat. I think that the sodium is more damaging to us than the few grams of fat when we can cut that fat elsewhere in our diets.

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I noticed that a few times as well and I honestly no idea which one is your better option. More cals or more salt/sugar. I guess it just depends on your over all eating.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Good question. I have my own ideas but would like to see what others say because I am no authority on the subject.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya! I'm actually trying to avoid packaged foods as much as possible anyway -- a Fuji apple vs. a Gala apple is a much simpler choice. =)
  • kcbrig
    kcbrig Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I buy the less fat version of cream cheese just because it spreads so much easier. I don't use it that often, but if I used it more, the sodium/sugar thing would probably make me change to regular.

I also switched from reduced fat peanut butter to regular because of the trans fats - there are less unhealthy fats in regular peanut butter than reduced fat. Imagine that....
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I want to know this answer too
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i would go with the 1/3 less i think it would be easier to balance out the numbers later in the day... and in my opinion they arent extremely more so it would be worth it.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, I think that the regular product is usually better. Especially with dairy, because the fats are natural - they are supposed to be there, and will help you stay satiated for a longer time. The low-fat items have to have unnatural things added to them so that they will taste good. And they will not help you stay full as long.

Granted, I do sometimes use lower-fat versions of things since I can't "afford" the calories of the full fat item. But I try to mix it up. Right now I have full-fat yogurt, "medium" fat cottage cheese, whole milk, and low-fat sour cream in the fridge. As I reach maintenance phase, I will try to add back more of the full-fat items.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Fat is so misunderstood. It is not the enemy. It makes us feel full and helps to repair and fuel our bodies. When fat is 'taken out' of foods like it is in 'light' products it is often replaced by fillers such as preservatives, sugar and carbs. The sugar and carbs can wreak havoc with our blood sugars making us want to eat more....vicious cycle. Eat the fat, in moderation, it will make you feel satiated, not deprived and balanced.
    Best of luck!
  • rdebbie45
    Options
    I agree with you about buying less fat products. I think we are just fooling ourselves. I'm thinking buy the real stuff and eat less... The less ... items do not taste as good and do not satisfy. So many products say "all natural" or "less fat".. we need to think about that. You know....there are a lot of "all natural" things that will kill you.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    I agree with meghanner on this one. This is what my doctor and I agree on for ME. I will buy the foods in it's most natural form, and usually try to purchase either grass fed meats or leaner cut meats to balance it out. Avoiding the processed foods altogether and cooking my own meals vs buying out.
  • princesschikee
    Options
    I would stay away from the one with the higher saturated fat content as this is that fat that causes a lot of health issues.
    Saturated fat raises cholesterol levels. So the less the better. The AHA says 7% or less of your caloric intake. I would go much less.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You pretty mush have to decide what's working for you. Everone has an opinion on the subject. Perso, I follow the "french women don't get fat" line of taught. It has to taste great and make me feel satisfied. Notice that since the low fat fad....everyone is fatter!!!