Rant..... Behavior on the boards..

Options

Replies

• Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Wow, I hadn't seen any nastiness on here. That really sucks. Reason why I left cafemom... other moms were SO mean there. Hopefully they don't find me - I'm pretty opinionated in my blogs. lol :laugh:

IMO I've found women to be the worst. (I deleted my account on Babycenter...the horror!)

I dislike, most of all, how people attack in blogs.

LOL I loved babycenter but I agreed some of the preggo moms can be mean but I have met some wonderful people there...

Truth is people are mean everywhere I either just ignore them or call them out depending on the mood.
  • lkkyer
    lkkyer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I saw some pretty nasty comments last night from a couple of people, so I looked through all their comments on other threads and realized they were just trolls trying to stir the pot. Probably kids thinking they were funny. Who knows...so NOT funny.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    those peeps just need some time in the sack if you know what I mean :bigsmile:
    :laugh:

I truly don't understand criticizing someone's blog. It's their personal thoughts and feelings on a matter that they are posting to share with others. You don't like what they have to say, stop reading and move on. There is absolutely no reason to post a nasty comment about it. The boards are difficult because people can come off as mean when they're trying to be matter of fact, or they can actually be trying to be nasty. I pretty much read but rarely respond anymore on the normal threads.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I truly don't understand criticizing someone's blog. It's their personal thoughts and feelings on a matter that they are posting to share with others.

The problem with this is many posts are clearly wrong, and some users may take it as fact if not addressed by more knowledgeable posters. But I do agree that it should be handled in a non attacking way. But if it did not get addressed it may lead to others adopting something that will actually hurt their progress.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Speaking of people critizing peoples food diaries, I noticed several people complain of thiss. Makes me wonder if there people here to push a health plan or product sometimes. I have seen at least 2 I can think of who look like they are here to promote.

I HATE this. I've had people actively try to sell me things on here through personal messages and posting on my page. I don't have a problem with folks who are on here and also selling something, but let people come to you if they're interested.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Mick, I'm sorry if you were offended by me yesterday, and I may have been a bit aggressive (one of my not so nice traits). But, you didn't pose a question, you posed a statement that purported to be fact. A statement that could put alot of people off their track to their goals. I've attempted in the past to answer that same question logically and methodically without passion, but it wasn't listened to, so I tried a different tact. Sorry you had to be the brunt of my post.

Also, it's not about 'taking sides'. It's about informing of the truth, and giving people tools they can use. If we just post one side of an issue, and leave it at that, how do we ever get better? I've learned many things on here from people that I thought I was right about, but wasn't. If they had just left the forum and jumped to another post, I wouldn't have heard their point of view...which ended up being the more logical / helpful one. (i.e. HIIT training, and how to blend it into your workout programs.)
    I had that same problem, yesterday. People can be so mean on here just for asking a question or just because you do something different from them (in my case, both)! What ever happened to there being no such thing a dumb question? Isn't everyone entitled to a little understanding? If you don't like a question being asked or don't like another's opinion or the way they do things MOVE ON! There are plenty of other's on here that share YOUR view. Go hang out with them!

Did you follow up and read my response to the post?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/184809-to-clear-things-up

I did not mean to state ANYTHING as fact. My intentions were misunderstood. I was trying to post an article that I came across to generate a discussion about it. I don't care if it was from a "legitimate source" or anything like that. It had some interesting points and I just wanted to know what peopjle thought about it.

I am on a 900 calorie diet, but like I tried to explain (and no one seemed to understand) is that I am under the care of a TEAM of doctors.... and it's not even just because I WANT to lose weight. I have Thyroid problem that causes migraines that last, sometimes, for up to 6 days (my worst) at a time. I'm allergic to the medication. A low calorie diet messes with the hormones, chemicals, and glucose in the body which can alleviate the occurance, duration, and severity of the migraines.

I am really tired of having to defend myself and my food log to people who don't even know me! Which is why I wanted to start a discussion about the thing everyone kept saying was going to kill me! Obviously that wasn' t ok because I was told I was wrong, called names (like ignorant), and had people even question the "Legitimacy" of my doctors (as if they know more about my health than my team of doctors I see every week!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

I truly don't understand criticizing someone's blog. It's their personal thoughts and feelings on a matter that they are posting to share with others.

The problem with this is many posts are clearly wrong, and some users may take it as fact if not addressed by more knowledgeable posters. But I do agree that it should be handled in a non attacking way. But if it did not get addressed it may lead to others adopting something that will actually hurt their progress.

we are talking about the people that are just being nasty not ones trying to be helpfull or disagree their is a BIG diffrence
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Mick, I'm sorry if you were offended by me yesterday, and I may have been a bit aggressive (one of my not so nice traits). But, you didn't pose a question, you posed a statement that purported to be fact. A statement that could put alot of people off their track to their goals. I've attempted in the past to answer that same question logically and methodically without passion, but it wasn't listened to, so I tried a different tact. Sorry you had to be the brunt of my post.

Also, it's not about 'taking sides'. It's about informing of the truth, and giving people tools they can use. If we just post one side of an issue, and leave it at that, how do we ever get better? I've learned many things on here from people that I thought I was right about, but wasn't. If they had just left the forum and jumped to another post, I wouldn't have heard their point of view...which ended up being the more logical / helpful one. (i.e. HIIT training, and how to blend it into your workout programs.)
    I had that same problem, yesterday. People can be so mean on here just for asking a question or just because you do something different from them (in my case, both)! What ever happened to there being no such thing a dumb question? Isn't everyone entitled to a little understanding? If you don't like a question being asked or don't like another's opinion or the way they do things MOVE ON! There are plenty of other's on here that share YOUR view. Go hang out with them!

I did not mean to state ANYTHING as fact. My intentions were misunderstood. I was trying to post an article that I came across to generate a discussion about it. I don't care if it was from a "legitimate source" or anything like that. It had some interesting points and I just wanted to know what peopjle thought about it.

I am on a 900 calorie diet, but like I tried to explain (and no one seemed to understand) is that I am under the care of a TEAM of doctors.... and it's not even just because I WANT to lose weight. I have Thyroid problem that causes migraines that last, sometimes, for up to 6 days (my worst) at a time. I'm allergic to the medication. A low calorie diet messes with the hormones, chemicals, and glucose in the body which can alleviate the occurance, duration, and severity of the migraines.

I am really tired of having to defend myself and my food log to people who don't even know me! Which is why I wanted to start a discussion about the thing everyone kept saying was going to kill me! Obviously that wasn' t ok because I was told I was wrong, called names (like ignorant), and had people even question the "Legitimacy" of my doctors (as if they know more about my health than my team of doctors I see every week!

ive had people say the exact same things to me
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

I'm actually just referring to personal blogs, not actual posts on the forums. Most of the blogs I've read are purely personal triumphs, thoughts, feelings and experiences. They aren't offering any advice or even talking too much about different ways of dieting or exercising. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for criticizing someones personal struggles or experiences on their blog. IMO.
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    I actually was one of the many who reported that douche who was showing his ugly @ss last night. He was being so hateful. He sure wasn't winning any beauty awards...
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    AND BESIDES!!!! Who gets to be the "decider" of what is "absolute truth" anyways?? The medical and health community change their minds about what is and is not true every day! Just because one thing (starvation mode for #1 example since this is obviously a very emotionally heated subject) is accepted and considered true today does not mean that it will be considered true tomorrow. Think cigarettes, heroine, using leaches, taking antibiotics for a common cold, eating eggs, and SO MUCH MORE. Our minds should never be closed to other's opinions on a subject. If no one ever questioned the "authority" on anything we would still believe the earth was round. If you disagree with an opinion go ahead and say so. No need to publicly bash a person.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I can agree with this to a point. To me, the purpose of starting a thread is to get a question answered, get clarification, or gain some motivation/recognization for your efforts. They're also a good place to post links/articles that other people can read and interpret how they like. My issue is when people take controversial subjects and put up a post that pretty much says "this is the way it is, it is fact, you cannot dispute it, end of story". When that happens, that's when people get nasty. I'm a firm believer in slow and steady. If you're not, that's fine. I don't put up my viewpoint and say it's a fact, so don't put up yours. I guess what I'm trying to say is that those "fact" posts tend to hit home with people's beliefs, and that causes a stir. It's like someone posting that God is a big sham, end of story. You're bound to upset some people lol
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I actually was one of the many who reported that douche who was showing his ugly @ss last night. He was being so hateful. He sure wasn't winning any beauty awards...

I reported him too, and I wasn't even responding to any of the threads he was in. I wanted to wake up to a troll-less MFP this morning. Glad he's gone.

I think people should act like adults. If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it on the boards. A lot of people get all ballsy and nasty when they can hide behind a computer screen, and that just sucks. That being said, I see nothing wrong with expressing counter opinions in threads, or on people's blogs. It's public. You post these things in a public forum, you're going to get opposing viewpoints. If you don't want to hear it, don't write it on a public blog. I don't think name-calling or insults are ever appropriate, and I don't think taking an overly sarcastic or nasty tone is called for, but to argue an opposite viewpoint is perfectly valid, IMO. Unfortunately, it seems like most people these days don't know how to "debate," they just know how to bash people who disagree with them. And that's downright sad.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Love you Sos! I could not have said it any better.

Negativity breeds self loathing, judgement, and kills progress. It murders hope.

This isn't the place for that.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    Options
    From experience, you can't just put up an article saying that you're sick of hearing the other side of it, and not expect to get hammered. Wish I would have known the whole story, and I would've addressed it. You're situation has ZERO to do with starvation mode, and that article actually had ZERO to do with starvation mode as it is referenced on this site. I won't get into the details here, but take the ambiguity away from the post, and ask for guidance, and I think you'll then get a balanced and logical argument. By stating things as fact (again, I understand you didn't mean that, but it obviously was taken that way by many), you open it up for berating.

Secondly, screw the people who direct things at your diary. Only YOU know what YOU need. Seek out the advice you want, make sure you apply unbiased filters to it, and then act on it. Just make sure you're not hiding behind excuses (again, not directed at you, but it is the #1 reason for Fitness Failure as I like to call it).

There's a lot of bad information out there, and I do my best to make sure it isn't proliferated. If my methods aren't always the softest or sweetest, please remember, I'm only trying to do the same as you...just in a different way. So, be tough, forget about the naysayers, slap a password on your diary...and go work out.

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I have had someone pm me about my food diary and eating the same thing for breakfast everyday and how this could potentially kill me!!!

:laugh: :laugh: Actually, being able to stick to the same (healthy) meal day in and day out is a good thing. There is a lot myth spread daily, over and over all day. I've seen only a couple members that are Always! out of line but the rest are just trying to steer others away from bad info that would hurt their progress.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am probably going to get slammed for this but, why do people have to be so nasty? Is it that they have a keyboard and no boundries combined with the fact that they are most likely unknown? Yesterday during the day there were 3 seperate threads (that I noticed) that the OP get slapped left and right verbally for their questions, and one super person on my friends list had someone go off on her blog. I have had someone pm me about my food diary and eating the same thing for breakfast everyday and how this could potentially kill me!!! What is wrong with people, if you do not like something, is it so hard to just pass the thread by and look for something that suits you, your personality and or your mood? There are so many posts about so many things why focus on the one that ticks you off? This website is a great place and people come here to make friends, get healthy, have some fun, and get support. When people start abusing each other, members are going to leave. You never know what kind of valuable input a member may have. I really think judging someone is dangerous as we are all not perfect. We can create a post and misphrase something or not make ourselves clear enough, the possibilities are endless for misinterpretation. Ok, I am done. And I really do wish you all have a beautiful day! Let's support each pther out there! :flowerforyou:

LOVE! and agreed! :heart:
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just let a thread go if you dont agree or disagree with facts so not to offend.
    Agree completely.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just let a thread go if you dont agree or disagree with facts so not to offend.
    Agree completely.

I like a good debate from time to time and sometimes the level of stupidity just cannot/should not be ignored. For instance, if the person who PMed the OP were to have posted a topic in the forums instead saying "You are all going to die if you are eating the same thing for breakfast every morning" that person deserves to be called out on their bull.

On the other hand, unnecessary drama is...unnecessary. It's the internet though, I try not to take anything too seriously.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    Well said this is a great post. thank you!