Is walking enough to lose weight?

2»

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    My mother in law dropped 60 pounds through walking and reducing her calories.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Walking is great exercise!

With walking, my legs and bum are more toned, I can feel my fitness level increasing and it's great to get out in the air for a while every day!

I've lost 45lbs, and my daily exercise consists of walking uphill, downhill, upstairs, downstairs and at varying paces...
  • Thanks for all your replies guys! I'm glad to have known what you think of walking and now I'm motivated as ever! I currently weigh around 207 lb and I do lift light weights daily. Hopefully when I get down to 180 or 175 I can try workouts again and not give up on them. :)
  • kevbrinks
    kevbrinks Posts: 42 Member
    Exercising won't MAKE you lose weight. All it's going to do is burn calories and improve you cardiovascularly. If you want to lose weight, you need to make a caloric deficit of some kind. If you walk enough to burn 300 calories, and then eat 300 calories back after your walk, you aren't going to see much in the way of weight loss.

Dieting is enough to lose weight.

This isn't entirely true... MFP works out your calorie intake with a deficit so that if you exercise you should be eating back those exercise calories to keep yourself at the minimum calorie intake MFP has set for you.

It's true. The post is "Is walking enough to lose weight?". It's not. MFP can set up a diet plan for you, and you can follow it, but then you'd be "dieting", no? She never mentioned using MFP to control her caloric intake at all.

In addition, while walking does burn calories, it is hardly the most efficient way. If she is walking 6 miles at 3mph, that's 2 hours of work for ~477 calories for a 150lb person, possibly less. If she goes home and rewards herself for her walk with a coke and a snickers bar, she's just negated any deficit she created with her workout.
  • You're definitely on the right track!!! I had the same question when i started, i had to find what i loved and walking is it!!! i now walk 5 miles a day, 4 days a week at 5 miles an hour with a friend, and it's the highlight of our week! I love it, and with good dieting, i've lost 26 pounds and my friend has lost 24!!! I am looking to add strength training to tone, but so far walking is all we've done.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Doing what you love will lead to success because you will actually do something if you love it.

Walking is great exercise and one of the many that I incorporate into my fitness routine (Variety keeps me motivated).

Charmagne
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Ive lost over 100lbs before....walking 3 miles a day. It can happen!
This discussion has been closed.