How Do You Lose Body Fat?

Options
13»

Replies

• corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have always heard to trim body fat you use lighter weights and higher reps. To build big muscle you would use heavier weights and lower reps. I think 30 day Shred will definitely help. As you lose weight and build muscle your body fat percentage will definitely come down. Good luck!

Agree with this, except the part about heavy vs. light. From all the reading I have been doing, and what the trainer at my gym says, this is old school thinking. Unless a female is taking hormone or steroids, thier body chemistry won't support bulking up.

Know that started getting stronger much quicker when I upped the weight to the point where I couldn't do more than ten reps.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have always heard to trim body fat you use lighter weights and higher reps. To build big muscle you would use heavier weights and lower reps. I think 30 day Shred will definitely help. As you lose weight and build muscle your body fat percentage will definitely come down. Good luck!

Agree with this, except the part about heavy vs. light. From all the reading I have been doing, and what the trainer at my gym says, this is old school thinking. Unless a female is taking hormone or steroids, thier body chemistry won't support bulking up.

Know that started getting stronger much quicker when I upped the weight to the point where I couldn't do more than ten reps.

Your trainer is correct. Granted, I'm not a trainer but I talk to plenty of them and I've researched and researched and heavy weights low reps are the way to go.

I think it also goes along with people thinking they can spot reduce fat.
  • bigc150
    bigc150 Posts: 13
    Options
    bump
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are almost exactly my height and old weight. I am 5'10 - 5'11 (depends on the day and whose measuring, haha), and I started at 223. And my body fat was 44% on the place I used to personal train's scale. I haven't done another test since I've lost the ~40 lbs. But I know it's gone down, quite a bit.

I do ridiculous amounts of cardio (like an hour a day), two - three strength training sessions a week, and eat pretty healthily, except when I'm stressed. Stress eating is still my killer.

But still, it's slow, steady progress!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are almost exactly my height and old weight. I am 5'10 - 5'11 (depends on the day and whose measuring, haha), and I started at 223. And my body fat was 44% on the place I used to personal train's scale. I haven't done another test since I've lost the ~40 lbs. But I know it's gone down, quite a bit.

I do ridiculous amounts of cardio (like an hour a day), two - three strength training sessions a week, and eat pretty healthily, except when I'm stressed. Stress eating is still my killer.

But still, it's slow, steady progress!

Thanks for the info. I am definitely adding more strength training to my regimen. I need to tighten all this jiggly up lol. With clothes on I look awesome. With them off ummm not so much. I want to try to tighten everything up without surgery. I'm in no rush so slow & steady I can accept.