need a healthy Option for Mexican Food, quick!

Options
So I just found out I am going for mexican for lunch for a coworkers birthday. I need an idea of what is healthy for lunch. Right now I'm stuck on veggie fajitas or chicken fajitas. Need ideas!!1 Leave in 20 mins!!!

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    veggie fajitas, no rice no beans! (that's what I do :)) and stay away from the chips haha. no guac no sour cream.
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A lot of places i have been to before have done Chilli Con Carne for under 500 Cals
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would eat all the inside of the fajita but not even the tortilla, they are carb loaded.

Ask server if they can substitute steamed veggies --you don't have to kill yourself with their options that make people want to come back for more. Make the right choices that is best for you and not what is best for their business.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    OMG the chips and salsa are my weakness.
  • minannan
    minannan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Less/no cheese... more lettuce, salsa, & tomatoes... chicken or fish instead of beef... no fried shells (hard shell or unfried flour)... no sour cream... Mexican is my favorite :)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Could always see if they have brown rice and refried beans are fine (though high in sodium if from a can) just tell them to not put cheese on top of the beans. I tend to get Carne Asada, one of my fav dishes even before MFP. Yeah avoid to many chips they add up fast.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    One of my standby favorites at my local Mexican place...I get the taco salad with grilled chicken instead of beef....no cheese, and I use salsa for dressing instead of salad dressing....

Basically, it is chicken, lettuce and salsa. Works for me!!

(and no, I don't eat the fried shell either!!)

:bigsmile:
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Most Mexican food restaurants can accommodate special requests. Ask for a smaller portion of carne asada (grilled flank steak) with frijoles de la olla (regular beans), and a small salad. You can also enjoy the salsa as long as you don't have too many chips and again you can request that they don't put any salt on the chips.
    Spicy food is great to speed up your metabolism so if you can stand it add some to your meal.

Have fun with your friends.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    What do you all use for your seasoning on fajitas? The packets are so high in sodium.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican food....YUM...
  • Fitnurse27
    Fitnurse27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree, I usually get the chicken taco salad without the shell, no sour cream, add salsa!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    see if the restaurant has a menu online with nutrition info before you go!!!!!!

4692665.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I usually do the fajita skillet with the beans and about 6 chips!!! I have still lost with that.
  • HoopFire5602
    Options
    I looked... no nutrition info> :(:(:(:(
  • BigPaul26
    Options
    Ceviche would be great. Grilled chicken salad with no cheese guac or crema, but with salsa and beans. Or soup. Albondigas or menudo. Chicken Fajitas or shrimp with corn tortillas instead of flour. Enjoy!
  • UntilNextTime
    Options
    Lots of mexican restaurants have black beans on request. And there is a whole steamed fish I have found at many mexican restaurants that isn't on the menu. But the suggestion about the taco salad is good and I usually get the tortilla soup with no tortilla strips and no cheese.
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    I love Mexican food too. I would love some healthy recipes for home.
  • HoopFire5602
    Options
    They do offer the taco salad bowl with chicken. I will probably do that.
  • calypott
    calypott Posts: 28
    Options
    One of my standby favorites at my local Mexican place...I get the taco salad with grilled chicken instead of beef....no cheese, and I use salsa for dressing instead of salad dressing....

Basically, it is chicken, lettuce and salsa. Works for me!!

(and no, I don't eat the fried shell either!!)

:bigsmile:

me too; thats always my go-to at a mexican restaurant.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Tamales aren't really that bad if you look it up in the database.