Owwwie! My feet!!

Options
I get this awful, sharp, achy pains in the outside bottoms of my feet and also the arch of my foot while I'm working out. I bought new (better) shoes recently to try to remedy this and it hasn't. I wonder if maybe I need wides? In regular shoes (dress shoes) I don't wear wide...I've never really worn sneakers until I started to workout, so I don't really know.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Ask your Doctor? :huh:
  • ahight28
    ahight28 Posts: 13
    Options
    Well, I had no idea that I needed Wide sneakers until after I got a stress fracture in my foot and had to go to a podiatrist..... He advised that I get fitted for a tennis shoe and that I had a wide forefoot. Now obviosly you are having problems with your arch and bottom of your feet and not the top, but I would still advise that you go to a running shoe store and get your foot properly fitted and have them recommend the proper shoes. It all depends on whether you have underpronate, overpronate, or are neutral. Once you find out which your feet are you can choose the proper shoes.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Look up plantar fasciitis and see if the symptoms sound familiar. I've had issues with that over the years from running.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You might have planter fasciitis in your feet. I got this in one of my feet when I started to work out again. I used machines that weren't high impact, like the elliptical and biking rather than the treadmill, and I bought a special sock that kept my foot flat when I slept at a fitness store (Running Room). After about a month, I was able to start running again.

I'd go see your doctor though, he or she'll be able to recommend what you should do for it, and what exactly it is.
  • kitchentales
    Options
    Do the sides of your runners feel tight? You can always go try on a pair of wide runners and see how they feel. I have wide feet, and in some shoes (ballet flats usually), I don't have to get the wide ones, but if the shoes totally enclose my foot, I go for the wide. If you go to the Running Room, or Sport Check, talk to the people that work there and ask their opinion. I got my runners from the Running Room, and they were really helpful.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist has a website nwfootankle.com there is a great article on plantar faciatisis on it, do some research online. There are a lot of things you can try before hitting the dr office. If you end up at a Dr. make sure that just offering up orthotics isn't the only answer. I worked for a DPM for several years, and it's a catch all solution to a general problem. Try over the counter products first, less expensive and often times helpful. Foot exercises to increase your flexibility in your foot and strengthening your foot muscles and calf stretching often are helpful. A few are picking up a tennis ball with your feet, bending your big down down behind you while seated and writing the alphabet with your foot are great ways to help. Make sure you have plenty of room in your shoe for you foot. I often remove the insole and also buy shoes with a wide toe box.

If your feet hurt, you hurt all over, it stinks. Best of luck.
  • MacGyver54
    Options
    Time to make a doctor's appointment. Sounds like you may have Plantar Fasciitis. I have it in both feet and wear special orthotics in my shoes. I did Physiotherapy for it and also I really found acupuncture to work.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Go to a more professional fitness shoe place like Runner's Forum. They actually video your feet while you walk on a treadmill. They professionally fit you for your shoes based on what their testing shows. The shoes are expensive ($120-$150), but well worth it. My sister has two pairs and she loves them. I am going to go get a pair after we get our tax check back. If you can't do that at least go somewhere where you can be properly measured to make sure you're wearing the right size. When I started working out and walking I kept getting blisters on my toes. I went and got properly measured and come to find out I was wearing shoes a whole size too small. You can also go somewhere like Walmart and use that machine that you stand on by Dr. Schoals. It maps out the pressure points in your feet when you stand and then recommends the proper set of orthotics. Those run $50 a pair, but that is cheaper than another pair of shoes, since you just recently got a pair. One more thing. I just started working out about 4 weeks ago. My feet felt horrible when I first started working out. It was all I could do to finish a mile. It just took awhile for the tendons and ligaments in my feet to loosen up. I sat on my back side for so long that my feet weren't use to any activity. I hope this helps.

:flowerforyou:Angela
  • DesertCowgirl
    DesertCowgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor. Could be you have developed Plantar Fasciitis. If you have, you need to get it taken care of soon. The longer you put it off, thinking it will go away, the worse it gets. I know because I did this. Hurting feet for a number of years and it just kept getting worse. Finally couldn't take it any more and went to the doctor. Now I just need to be aware and not abuse my feet. What a relief!
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508
  • bablen5
    bablen5 Posts: 6
    Options
    My right foot hurts also since I started doing shred. It's my outside heel on the back of my foot. I went yesterday and bought new workout sneakers with better shock absorbers in them. I am thinking it's achilles heel.

Achilles tendonitis is a condition of irritation and inflammation of the large tendon in the back of the ankle. Achilles tendonitis is a common injury that tends to occur in recreational athletes. Overuse of the Achilles tendon can cause inflammation that can lead to pain and swelling. Achilles tendonitis is differentiated from another common Achilles tendon condition called Achilles tendinosis. Patients with Achilles tendinosis have chronic Achilles swelling and pain as a result of degenerative, microscopic tears within the tendon.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters it could be Plantar Faciitis. the only way to know for sure is to make a an appointment with a podiatrist and have x-rays done.
    rather than being put on orthotics from the Dr. ($400 +) I suggest going doing exercises to strengthen your arches. you can find some good articles on the net as well as videos on youtube.com
    I was diagnosed last year and rather than spending the money on the orthotics which would have worked I'm sure but I wanted to cure the problem rather than just relieve the pain I did the research and now my feet don't hurt and I'm able to work out regularly
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Are you running? If so, a local running store can do a gait analysis and get you into the correct shoe for your particular gait (pronator, supinator, etc.).

That's all I had to add to what I saw posted...make sure it's not PF!
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did do some research on Plantar Faciitis before, and it doesn't really sound or feel like that's what it is, but I haven't ruled it out....I think i'll make an appointment with the shoe store. :)
  • katyygirll
    Options
    i can sympathize with that feeling. my guess would be plantar fascitis or accessory navicular syndrome. i've had both. i'm not a doctor sooo maybe ask one of them.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I really think maybe I just need a wide in sneakers...which seems strange, since I don't need them any other time....but i've never had problems with pain before in any kind of shoe, no matter the activity level. And my foot really does just feel squished at the sides.. :)