Still Hungry? Reach for this snack to keep you feeling full

Options
Ever grab a snack but then feel hungry again 20 minutes later? Next time, reach for a banana. It’s loaded with Resistant Starch (RS), a healthy carb that fills you up and helps to boost your metabolism. Slightly underripe medium-sized bananas have 12.5 grams of RS—more than most other foods. Ripe bananas give you 4.7 grams of RS, still enough to keep hunger pangs away. Check out these tasty ways to work in this wonder food.
Banana "Ice Cream"
Peel, slice, and freeze 1 small banana. Place frozen banana pieces in a blender with 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk; blend until thick. Top with 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.

Banana Salsa
Make a quick salsa with 2 diced peeled bananas, 2 tablespoons minced red onion, 1 tablespoon minced cilantro, 1 teaspoon minced serrano or jalepeno pepper, juice of 1 lime, and brown sugar and salt to taste. Use it to top fish or pork tacos, jerk chicken, or jerk pork.

Broiled Bananas
Slice 1 peeled banana in half lengthwise. Put banana pieces, cut sides up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the banana pieces with 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and broil on high until the sugar bubbles and the bananas brown (about 2–3 minutes). After broiling, sprinkle with cinnamon—or drizzle with 1 teaspoon rum for an extra-special treat.

Coffee and Banana Smoothie
Place 1 sliced peeled banana, 1 cup 1% low-fat milk, 1/2 cup cold black coffee, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 1/2 cup ice in a blender. Blend until smooth—and enjoy.

Tropical Fruit Salad
Make a fruit salad with 1 sliced peeled banana, 1 sliced peeled kiwi, and 1/2 diced peeled ripe mango. Squirt juice of 1/4 lime over the salad, and serve. .
.Health.com: 8 reasons carbs help you lose weight

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I might have to try some of these...
  • Dmonique85
    Dmonique85 Posts: 112
    Options
    <3 Bananas :D
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump. The coffee banana one sounds yummy!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh these sound delish!!
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Boy these sound really good. Thanks I am going to try these recipes.:happy:
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    I read this yesterday in Yahoo highlights. It was interesting.
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Yummy! Thanks!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I saw this in the forums or seen in a magazine just recently...YUP in my current 'HEALTH -March2011' Edition...Page 82...

I love Bananas....really unsure about the salsa though lol :laugh:
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump, some of these look wicked good!
  • Neach
    Neach Posts: 13
    Options
    These look delicious. I will be trying them for sure. That ice cream looks like the answer to a prayer!!!:love:
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bananas are now on the shopping list. The banana ice cream sound tasty!
  • teresa_h_780
    Options
    Bump, Those are some great ideas.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost everyday with breakfast but I am definitely going to try the broiled bananas!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    banana ice cream FTW!!!!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    bump. The coffee banana one sounds yummy!

I've done that- but I don't think you need the sugar. I use greek yogurt instead of milk too. More protein :) YUMM!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love grilled bananas so I'm definitely going to have to try the broiled bananas. Yum!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    interesting, I would like to try the banana coffee smoothie, I never would have thought of that cambo, but why not? There was a drink in Jamiaca called "coco loco" and it was sort of coffee-flavored with banana and I liked it.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I used to make coffee-banana smoothies too. I just used banana, milk, and instant coffee powder, plus a bit of unflavoured protein powder. It's great stuff! I don't think you need any sugar with it, but that's just me.
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    bump....sounds great...will try!!!!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Coffee Banana :tongue: