Staying fit while travelling for work?

Options
Does anyone else out there have to travel about 50% for work? I am struggling, because there are always dinners to go to, and airport eating. Hotel gyms are not always the best, and the hours are so sporadic when working with factories.
Any tips out there?

Replies

• CWolfs
    CWolfs Posts: 2
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue. I live in hotels and I have issues with the hotel food too! I try and pick the healthy option but sometimes that's not really possible with hotel food (unless I want to live off soup!).

I've just signed up to this site but I usually try and get a hotel with a gym (I was stuck in one without a gym for 5 months so that's why I'm here!). Running could be helpful if you're in a hotel that isn't in the middle of nowhere and has street lights.

Otherwise I'm pretty much stuck in the same position as you are! Good luck (I'll need some too!).
  • lrhopkina
    lrhopkina Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks! I took some DVD's and resistance bands on my last trip, and aside from stomping on the floor in my hotel room, I at least felt like I was doing something - and they were easy to pack!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    There is hope. You just need to think outside the box and travel prepared. Here are my tips.

On your trip out: Pack a lunch. Usually, my travel days begin at 6am and by the time I'm settled in my hotel, it's 2 or 3pm. I usually pack a sandwich I've made myself. That alone will save you several hundred calories. As an example, those Wolfgang Puck sandwiches are like 900 calories or more!!! The ones I make with Sara Lee Light / Delicious bread (90 calories per 2 slices), and low sodium boars head turkey/ham are a fraction of whats lurking in the airport. I'll bring a couple of apples, maybe a few almonds or walnuts in some plastic bags in my carry on. I grab my normal breakfast at home and eat the rest throughout my travel day. Once in the hotel, I venture out to find a subway or maybe a chili and potato from wendy's. Depending what's available.

Exercise: I usually stay at Hilton properties so their Gyms are good enough. Some Hilton brands vary but Doubletree hotels always have a Precor Gym. If your hotel gym sucks...either choose a hotel near a running path or get yourself some DVD workouts you do in your room. I've done insanity workouts in my hotel room at 11pm at night. Whoever was in the room below me was probably like...WTF...but whatever, I wanted a workout. There's no reason not to get some type of workout in your room. Pushups, situps, shadowboxing, squats, jumping jacks and other plyometrics require no equipment.

Dinners out: Get used to the comment..."are you on a diet." Choose salads or lean meat. Hold sauces and overall just make better choices. If you can't avoid the restaurant where EVERYTHING is bad. Get something to eat before you go or plan to eat something once your back that is more in line with your plan. Just eat much less at the restaurant. It's easier said than done, I know.

Trip back home: When you cant go make your sandwich, again, make better choices or possibly stop to get something on your way to the airport if time permits. I usually fly through airports where there is a sandwich shop such as Quiznos, Potbelly's or A Bon Pain.

Motivation is key because not doing exercise and eating dirty is easily justifiable to yourself.
  • larryerdman
    Options
    NEVER eat a Wolfgang Puck Roasted Vegetable Sandwich again! As I was rushing through the Atlanta airport, I skipped BK (Veggie burger) and went over to the WGP stand thinking their food would be healthier. 830 calories for this ONE sandwich. I think a big mac has less calories! 52g of FAT! 17g of Saturated Fat! Wish I would have read the back of the sandwich first!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a weeklong conference next month, so that will be my first real test since I joined MFP. The hotel has a pretty good fitness center so I'm not worried about getting my workouts in but I'll have to be really vigilant about what I eat, especially considering all the temptations between the hot breakfasts, am/pm snack breaks, buffet lunches, and dinner meetings. But I think I've laid enough of a foundation that I can make healhier choices while I'm there (hopefully).
  • dlf0001
    dlf0001 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not to oversimplify things or dismiss concerns... because I freak out about the same things, but, realistically, you can get grilled chicken, side salads and low fat dressings almost anywhere...
  • MMGoodSF
    MMGoodSF Posts: 26
    Options
    I travel a lot too. I asked my doctor about this, and she suggested the following:

-Drink more water than you think you need because flying dehydrates and you need to flush out the restaurant/airport food ASAP
    -Pack instant oatmeal packets because you can usually get hot water (run the coffee maker without putting in grounds, find the hot water for tea at the conference, etc)
    -Pack light canned soup (Progresso Light and Campbell Select aren't that bad, actually) with the pop-off lid. You can bring them in the carry-on! I got pulled aside the first time, and they searched and told me that canned goods are fine.
    -Pack Clif/Luna/etc bars so when you're in a pinch, you at least have some sustenance, instead of having to eat instead of the huge Danish
    -Pick a hotel near a grocery store and pick up some veggies and hummus, fruit
    -Call ahead to the hotel the day before and tell them you just got medication that needs to be refrigerated. Ask to have your mini bar emptied, or to have a mini-fridge brought in. I've done this and it's worked! Don't like lying, but people are not sympathetic to dieting.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Luckily the hotels I stay in usually have gyms, except the one I am in right now! Luckily I am in a big walkable city, so exercise hasn't been a problem. I rarely have access to a fridge or microwave, so canned room temp soup is not appealing to me!

A big part of me keeping on track is planning. If available, I look ahead of time at restaurant menus, nutrition info, etc. to see what I should order. I am flying out of DCA tomorrow, so I already checked out food options near my gate. Second, if I know something I am eating isn't great for me, I will only eat half. Like half of a burrito, half of a high calorie sandwich, etc.