Scales Crisis....

Options
Well, the day of reckoning is tomorrow....

My Mum and I are both trying to lose weight, she was at my house last week and said 'I wonder how much I will weigh on your scales!'

So she went upstairs, stood on my scales and her face fell. She's 6lbs heavier on my scales! Eek!! So the problem now is that we don't know who's are accurate. I'm ok really as worst case is that I'm the weight I think I am but my heart goes out to my Mum if mine are correct!

She's having her cholesterol tested tomorrow so is going to take her scales to the Doctor's with her and compare the results with the set at the docs.

Fingers crossed for us both everyone, I may be a lot closer to my goal than I realised!!

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Fingers crossed :wink:
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    You've hit on the #1 reason I don't take too much stock in numbers! Not only do they fluctuate throughout the day, but scales aren't always prefect.

I have a range in mind for my goal - right now it's pretty broad, somewhere between 115 and 130 (I'm 5'1"). As I get closer to my goal (130 is 55 lbs away), I'll refine the range (I suspect I'll settle out at about 120). But it will always be a range. Why? Because there are too many factors to worry about.

I use the number on the scale as one piece of data. I also use my measurements, how my clothes fit, how my body looks in the mirror, what I can do at the gym that I couldn't do be for, how much fat I can pinch around my belly, arms and thighs. I've taken photos so I have a record.

You're weight is just a number - don't stress it!
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    scales are funny..

we bought one last week and i stood on it once, didn't like what it said, and have yet to get back on..LOL

my boyfriend however will get on every day and it doesn't seem to bother him which order the numbers appear on the screen.

yesterday he got on close to the window and was 204. he was like, "ah, i weigh 3lbs less at home then i do at the gym. then he proceeded to move the scale closer to the door, where he all of a sudden weighed 213!! THEN, he did one more test and put the scale on the ledge of the soaking tub and stood on there (he's not short...the celings are pretty tall hah) and being 3 feet higher, he was 202

like i said, scales are funny..
  • Sarahclarke82
    Sarahclarke82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Haha! I like it! I'll have to try moving mine around the room :happy:

I know that what they say isn't the be all and end all but I've become a little bit obsessive, I am trying to break that habit!

My shape has changed and I treated myself to a few new clothes at the weekend as I've lost a dress size and wanted a treat and it was fab for the self esteem.

This is the first time I've tried to lose weight though so never thought to take my measurements at the start. Would have been very helpful if I had!
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    I have 4 scales under my bed that all tell me different numbers...I'm a little obsessed you can say. I've decided to just go by the scale at the gym...now the problem is that there are 3 different scales at the gym and I'm trying my best to not step on the other two..we shall see how it goes..:D
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was 3lbs heavier on my new scales. And since discovering that I've droved 1lb.. In about a month!
    But that might have something to do with the sweets....
    But yeah..
    ANYWAY
    My two scales always say different, so I'm going by the heaviest and they don't move from where they are because I know they'll just change.
    I have a goal weight but in reality, once I look like the picture on my ticker again I'll stop, even If I'm still "overweight" by BMI
  • Aurora76
    Aurora76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My scale is in the kitchen next to the stove and it seems pretty accurate there. When I put it in the bathroom or anywhere else it is always inaccurate. Definitely make sure you don't weigh yourself on a scale on the carpet.
  • Sarahclarke82
    Sarahclarke82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My scale is in the kitchen next to the stove and it seems pretty accurate there. When I put it in the bathroom or anywhere else it is always inaccurate. Definitely make sure you don't weigh yourself on a scale on the carpet.

My bathroom floor is tiled so definitely ok in that respect. I guess I'll just have to wait and see the verdict of the comparison tomorrow!

And try and stop being so reliant on those annoying numbers!