So being hungry every 3 hours is a good thing... right?

Options
So I've been on this journey for about a week. Most days I'm just under the calories alloted for me here on MFP. Some days, like last night, I'm a lil over. From reading the posts, I'm understanding that if I spend 300 calories exercising, I'm allowed to eat those calories... right?
Also, for the last couple of days, I'm hungry every 2 - 3 hours!!! That's never been the case for me. I've always been not hungry during the day and starving non-stop at night. So this is a new feeling for me... trying to figure out if it's healthy or just anxiety kicking in since I'm eating less. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated as i'm a super newbie at this whole calorie tracking thing! Thanks!

Replies

• deasourus
    deasourus Posts: 16
    Options
    This happened to me after I was dieting for a couple of months. If I were to guess I would say it's your metabolism speeding up. That was the case for me. Your eating less so your body has less crap to process. Totally a guess though, but a good one! =)
    I usually don't eat the calories I burn off, I think it defeats the purpose of exercising lol. But that's just me. Listen to your body and do what you think is right for it. Good luck!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yep...you are allowed to eat those calories...based on what you told MFP of your goals..they already calculated the defecit you need to lose weight...excercising just creates a bigger defecit of which you should eat to keep up with your energy levels. I am going through the same thing with being hungry every 3 hours..but what's cool about that , is that you can EAT every three hours..of course it requires balancing your calories into those smaller meals but its a metabolism booster!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist or a fitness professional at all, but in my personal experience after about two weeks eating right and exercising it seemed like my metabolism kicked it up a notch and was getting used to eating more often. Soon after that I had more energy at a more consistant rate and started seeing my first batch of 'results'. I'd vote that it's a good thing and say KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! Fuel that body baby!

oh and also.
    i'm one of the MFP ppl who votes to eat at least SOME(aim for at least half) of your exercise calories. just putting it out there.
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    eat a piece of fruit when you get to that 2-3 hour mark and start to feel hungry. it's great for your body and won't leave you feeling guilty.

also, when you snack at night, which i've heard is OKAY! be sure i'ts raw veggies...you can go to the store and buy one of those veggie trays and just kick back and dig in. try to skip on the dips though..
  • zer0vital
    zer0vital Posts: 42
    Options
    Ideally, you want to be eating 5-6 times a day. I think about food and eating way more than I did before I started living healthier. It's a constant cycle of getting hungry and then eating something not too big. And that's exactly what you're looking for! You'll get used to it over time, and as you hinted you should definitely be exercising regularly and then eating the calories. I freaking love eating, now as much as ever. And I love the fact that when I go on an intense walk it potentially buys me an entire package of rice cakes, not that I would eat a whole package of rice cakes... :-)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So I've been on this journey for about a week. Most days I'm just under the calories alloted for me here on MFP. Some days, like last night, I'm a lil over. From reading the posts, I'm understanding that if I spend 300 calories exercising, I'm allowed to eat those calories... right?
    Also, for the last couple of days, I'm hungry every 2 - 3 hours!!! That's never been the case for me. I've always been not hungry during the day and starving non-stop at night. So this is a new feeling for me... trying to figure out if it's healthy or just anxiety kicking in since I'm eating less. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated as i'm a super newbie at this whole calorie tracking thing! Thanks!

Have you been eating every 2-3 hours since the start? Then yes that is normal. Before I started this, I never ate during the day (never breakfast!) and then would eat non stop when I got home from work.
    Now I notice the empty tummy right before breakfast, right before lunch, definitely right before dinner because I exercise after work and that make me ravenous! And yes you get to eat your exercise calories. When we exercise our body needs needs more fuel. and since the deficit for weight loss is already there you get to eat back what you burned. Just don't go too low on the calories because it can backfire and slow your metabolism and your body will start pulling its fuel from lean muscle mass, not fat.
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I eat every two to three hours too! I think that my body telling me I'm hungry is a good thing!! But you have to listen to the real signs and not just being thursty!
  • kez193
    kez193 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was a late night snacker,

but now I find I am mostly just hungry through the day, like you every 3 hours or so. I no longer get hungry later in the day before bed, which in the past is when I could blow a wholes days calorie allowance in one go, I'm thinking maybe that's my internal clock resetting itself to a NON snacking function..?
  • gbmabley
    gbmabley Posts: 16
    Options
    As for your first question yes you can eat your exercise calories. Just remember that MFP gives you an estimate of the calories burnt. Best way to have a more precise calorie burn is with a heart rate monitor. Some equipment have them built in. I can tell you what I do and judge for yourself. I try to eat about 80% of my calories back from exercise but I don't push it. If I am not hungry I won't eat them all.

When I started MFP I also was hungry every couple hours. It is a transition with your metabolism kicking in. I still eat every couple hours because it is way better for your body an keeps your blood sugar leveled out and your metabolism working. I also have a glass of water before I eat to find out if it is genuine hunger or if I am just thirsty. ( try it out. See for yourself.). After the water I wait 5-10 min If I am still hungry then I eat.

Good luck with meeting your goals. I hope this has helped you.

I am not on a diet, I am on a quest to change my lifestyle.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I agree, exercising will make you more hungry. Since starting this I now eat when I am hungry rather when I am bored etc. I read in a health mag yesterday that women binge at night cos they haven't eaten enough in the day. Do you drink diet soda/pop as it tricks your body that you have had sugar, you then feel hungry cos your body didn't actually get any. Just snack on fruit or crudités rather than low-fat snacks. Good luck. I eat my exercise calories and still lose btw.
  • micklepickle27
    Options
    Hungry or starving? Is it in your mind or in your stomach? I've heard you should eat something small every few hrs i.e. a little carb, a little proten, a little fat. If you don't think you are really hungry, chew gum. Sometimes that is easier said than done. Find something to do. The more exercise you do, the more you can eat (healthy stuff, of course). The calories allowed are telling you what you need in order for your body/organs to work on a daily basis.
  • lubvug32
    lubvug32 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I have been drinking a lot of water and I've cut back on the amount of food I eat. Lord knows I can eat like a beast! I'm also making healthier choices with the foods I am eating. This whole logging things down thing makes me feel guilty if I eat fattening foods. LOL