Sick and dieting.. what do you do?

xecila
xecila Posts: 99
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
So the past few days I've been developing some sort of cold/sinus infection/plague-thing. I've been pretty good about staying within my calorie goal, but I feel weak and dizzy most of the time. I'm not starving myself.. I've been eating fruit, salads, and lean meats as well as some whole grains. I know what I'm eating is alright... I started this journey a year ago and was eating the same things then, and felt fine. I think it's just the illness that's causing the weakness.

So what do you do when you're sick? Do you just stick with it, or do you let yourself slide a little? Should I set my goal to maintenence instead, until this is over?

Replies

• BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    well i was sick a few weeks ago. I just kept everything the same but i did not stress if i was way under my calories or a lil over beacuse some days i would drink alot of oj and soup with crackers but other days i wouldn't eat much. I really did not worry about it until i got better. Hey just focus on getting better right now.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Although I haven't been REALLY sick. you know like the stay in bed ain't gettin up sick. I have had some cold with sinus issues. For me I ate more and didn't really care if I was over in calories or not. If I was hungry, I was eating. I was feeling better in 3 days. I did not change my goal I just went with what my body was telling me.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    suffer.

Seriously, I'm going through the same thing. Colds/flus suck, no way around it. I tried to do a decent workout today and had to stop 2/3's the way through, I NEVER EVER EVER cut my workouts short. So for this to happen means my body just would not do what I needed it to do. And that's how sickness goes, you do what you can, and suffer through the rest. Keep drinking plenty of fluids and eating smart. Other than that. Not much you can do.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Don't beat yourself up about it...but healthier food choices, will aid in making you healthier so think of it that way. Granted your body is using calories to fight off the bug, so as long as you aren't going to crazy, you should be fine. Make sure you are resting. Stress and lack of sleep can put weight on. No lie!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    It really depends what is wrong with you. I have not been majorly sick since I started this whole thing. In fact my health has been better than it ever was including less colds and the like. The general rule (I use that term with some looseness here) is if your ailment is above the next, keep going; if it is below the neck don't. That has to do with exercise more than anything, but I think with diet if it was just a sinus infection I would keep going. If it was something more I would bump up my calories (still maintain a deficit but a much smaller one) and give my body some more energy and nutrients to fight the infection.

With this goes the advise that if you continue to feel weak and light headed consider talking to your health care professional.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Well,
    You shouldnt think of yourself as being on a diet ... you are living the life of a thinner person, right?
    So what would a thinner person do... guess what a thinner person would eat what the body needs while you are sick ... and not worry about it. A couple of weeks ago I saw people trying to figure out calories in cough drops and saying that they would rather take a pill than take robitussin because it was less calories... wow craziness!

Just make the best choice you need... but if you body is craving something less than healthy its because it needs sodium or fat or anything else... just make sure when you are well you revert to your usual diet and exercise habits!
  • if you feel dizzy. skip the workouts except for mabye a walk.
    only you really know what you can handle but remember that when you are sick your body needs all the help it can get.
    rest and nutrients. which means. maintenance this week would probably not be a bad idea.
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    I've had flu and pneumonia since January. Try to keep at least above 1200 cal so that you're not starving. Keep up the fluids. Eat healthy. Don't force the exercise when your body wants to rest.

And keep going when you feel better.
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Personally, when I'm sick I throw everything out the window. I don't force myself to exercise because I know rest is what my body needs and what will get it better faster. I eat whatever I feel I can handle or what sounds good to me. If I want a bowl of ice cream for lunch instead of a chicken salad, then I do it. I don't count calories during that time. This tends to make me get better faster so that I can get back on the wagon sooner.
  • sheebs11
    sheebs11 Posts: 25 Member
    i really think depends on who you are and how your body handles being sick.
    i know if i am sick or getting sick working out hard tends to run down my body more, and as a result i end up in bed. but if i go easier like walking vs. running then i have a chance at fending it off.
    Food wise, just continue to make smart healthy choices and dont sweat the small stuff
This discussion has been closed.