Homemade Bread vs Store Bought

Options
Does anyone else make their own bread instead of buying at the store?
I have noticed that the whole wheat bread on this site has a lot of sodium and we barely put any in our homemade bread. I know our bread is so much healthier but don't have the nutrition info....
Thanks!

Replies

• lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else make their own bread instead of buying at the store?
    I have noticed that the whole wheat bread on this site has a lot of sodium and we barely put any in our homemade bread. I know our bread is so much healthier but don't have the nutrition info....
    Thanks!
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi, you could go to www,sparkpeople.com and use their recipe calculator. You type what is in your recipe in and it will list the nutrients and calories per piece. I checked them out when skinnier_me listed their site. If it is really yummy you could post it in the recipes section here:bigsmile: I make my own bread at times but not always. Just depends on how much time I have in my week. Hope this helps:bigsmile:
  • ambieloo2
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am a chef and I know that store bought bread has tons of sugar - at least the packaged kind that lasts about a week does. They use it to keep it soft (sugar, corn syrup, honey, molasses etc.) so if you're making your own bread then you are saving there for sure. Good for you! I don't have that kind of energy!

Cheers,
    Amber
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I prefer homemade bread myself. I have some wonderful recipes for it but not the time anymore. At one time I made all the breads in my house including bagels and english muffins.

Each recipe varies but if there is an interest I will post a few later.

Eve
  • lizard9800
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will try sparkpeople and see what happens. If the bread is pretty nutritious I will post a few recipes. They are all made with our breadmachine so it's not time consuming at all!
  • janetbaxley
    Options
    I am interested in any homemade bread recipes that I can find, mainly for whole wheat bread.
  • lizard9800
    Options
    Here are a few recipes we make in our breadmachine -

Heavenly Whole Wheat Bread (1 lb loaf)
    3/4 c water
    1 1/3 c whole wheat flour
    2/3 c bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    3 tbsp applesauce (butter)
    1 tbsp sugar
    3 tbsp instant potato flakes
    1 1/2 tsp yeast

Hearty Oat & Walnut Bread
    1 1/4 c warm water
    1 tbsp margarine
    3/4 c walnuts
    1 tbsp salt
    1/4 c brown sugar
    1/2 c quick oats
    2 c wheat flour
    1 c bread flour
    1/4 c 7 grain cereal
    1 1/2 tsp yeast

I have a lot more if people are interested.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    lizard:
    Do you know if any changes need to be made to convert to hand-made? I don't have a bread machine, but still make all my own bread. I've never tried converting from bread machine to hand-made, however.

Is there any need for covnersion? We lost our bread maker years ago, and I haven't thought to try to convert some of my favorite bread maker recipes to hand made.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    lizard:
    Do you know if any changes need to be made to convert to hand-made? I don't have a bread machine, but still make all my own bread. I've never tried converting from bread machine to hand-made, however.

all the bread machine does is mix the dough (a mixer or your hand can do that), provide a warm environment for the yeast to raise (your oven on low can provide that), provide the occassional kneading ( your hand can do that) and a baking vessel to cook it (once again, your oven)

the bread recipe itself is what it is.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am a newbe to making bread, Only been doing it for a month.
    What I know for certain is that my crazy cravings have almost all diminished . I think this was from all the processed bread I indulged in.
    I am still using white flour (I don't care for wheat... am trying to work on that). I use about 2 cups flour 1/2 cup oatmeal for my loaf. Very little sugar.. I think 1 tablespoon if that.
    I have added it to the recipe in my food and for a loaf of approximately 12 good slices the calories are 120 a slice. If you slice it thin, 60 cals a slice.
    I haven't bought store bread in a month and I don't miss it. Homemade or bust:smile: