Eating 6 times a day vs. 3 times a day

Options
So I just started out on my diet a few days ago. And I'm getting a million and 1 different opinions, so I thought I would ask all of you. I was told to eat 6 small meals each day because it speeds up your metabolism. However, I was talking to this guy I work with and he said that is not good. That eating either 3 meal is better, but what is really good is eating a really nice big breakfast (since breakfast is the most important meal of the day), have a small lunch, and a liquid diet. This being because your stomache is a muscle and needs time to rest through out the day. Can someone please help me out here? I like the 6 times a day and have noticed a drop in my weight, and I seem to have more energy. I just find it hard to only have liquids at dinner!!! Thank everyone!

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    He's obviously not an expert in the nutrition field and especially not in the sports nutrition field. You are right to keep eating the 6 times a day, especially if you are working out. Keep up the great work and don't let the idiots of the world confuse you. ;)
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Tell your freind to stop pumping blood for 2 hours a day cause his heart is a muscle and needs rest lol.....Eat 6x a day it is more ideal just take whatever your calorie intake is in a day and divide by 6 and try to make each meal that many calories or you can eat more at breakfast and just take little amount of calories from each meal to make up for it
  • KBS1989
    KBS1989 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you should in fact eat 6 small meals a day this will keep you full and also give you energy but at the same time you will loose weight. I also suggest doing a protein diet you dont get hungry and ive lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks and two pant sizes. so go to herbalife and get started its cheap and works call lisa toney at 648/6991.:wink:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    You don't NEED to eat 6 times a day, and you certainly don't need to subject yourself to liquid dinners. Just sticking to what MFP lays out for will definitely yield results, and will be much easier to follow. If you haven't been eating clean and healthy and made it a lifestyle for quite some time now, please don't get boggled down with all sorts of extras and tips and advice. Yes, all of them have merit, but not if they're too much too incorporate into your life on a daily basis. The more complicated you make a program, the more likely you are to fail. Sad, but true.

When I first started on here, I ate a diet that was mostly crap. Lot's of processed foods, loads of carbs and sugar, and too much junk food before bed. I just kept to my calories and exercise, and didn't worry about the rest. I started losing just fine. And it will give you one thing to focus on. Once calories become easy and routine, then start trying to eat cleaner and healthier. You don't need all the extras until you start to get lean and the weight loss stalls.

I've personally made the mistake of trying to get to strict with my diet (timing, macronutrient break down, cutting out certain foods altogether, etc) and it usually causes me to get frustrated and give up, and sets me behind a few paces in the long run.

I know having cookies before bed isn't the best idea, BUT, if they fit in my calories, I don't worry about it. And that really helps to keep me from letting a little treat turn into a full blown "well, I've already ruined today" mind set that usually ends up in at least a few days of overeating. If my cookies fit, I enjoy them, and can start the next day feeling fresh and like I've done a good job today.

Just take it one day at a time, the weight didn't come on over night, and you don't need to make yourself miserable trying to take it off that way =)