treadmill training?? Hope someone can answer this??

Options
This may be a stupid question for the avid athelete, but to a novice a good ?

When you use the programs pre set on the treadmill, where the incline goes up pace goes down throughout the alloted time is that considered what they call hilt training, or is it interval training or is it one in the same?? Programs go from 0 incline to 10 with a pace from 3 - 5.7??

Hope someone can answer this for me..

Also new to HRM I have a bowflex and which amount should you record, HRM is set to my specifics age, ht, wt , treadmill is not but there is a big difference between HRM, Treadmill and my nike plus? My nike + and HRM are pretty close?

Thanks in advance
Laurie

Replies

• edwards
    edwards Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would say go with the HRM and the nike +. Tredmills and elipticals that have the HR sensors tend to be off anywhere from 10-20% sometimes when it comes tracking other things like caloric burn.
  • DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    yeah, if it were me, id stick the HRM. as for the clasification of the training... im not sure. i would just call it running hills.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    HRM is totally better for calorie counting than treadmill!
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    11 year Treadmill veteran here...here's what I believe and follow.

Incline changes throughout=Hills
    Speed Changes=Intervals
    Change both speed and incline=to me, it is still hills

When I run outside up a hill, I go slower and when I go down hil, I go faster; but it is still a hill workout!
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification,

I am going by the HRM and NIke + since they are calibrated for me specifically.

Makes sense about the hills up slower, down=faster..

Laurie
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The idea of HIIT is to get your heartrate elevated to a pretty high range. Usually it is all out, like a sprint, but there are different versions of HIIT that I've seen, so if you get to the point of after about 20 minutes, you feel like you want to die rather than do another minute, call it HIIT.