What will motivate me

Options
My name is Aline i'm 29 yrs young and stand 5 ft 3 inches tall. I have two beautiful children a 6 yr old daughter and a almost 11 month old son. My fiance and I are going away on at trip to Cuba in April so I want to lose as much weight as I can healthy. This month I want to lose 10 pounds, i'm taking baby steps.
I just can't seem to stick to anything long enough to see and feel the great results that many people talk about. What is it that will motivate me? I want to be mentally, physically and emotionally healthy I have lots of work to do.

Replies

• Aline
    Aline Posts: 9
    Options
    My name is Aline i'm 29 yrs young and stand 5 ft 3 inches tall. I have two beautiful children a 6 yr old daughter and a almost 11 month old son. My fiance and I are going away on at trip to Cuba in April so I want to lose as much weight as I can healthy. This month I want to lose 10 pounds, i'm taking baby steps.
    I just can't seem to stick to anything long enough to see and feel the great results that many people talk about. What is it that will motivate me? I want to be mentally, physically and emotionally healthy I have lots of work to do.
  • tdroseler
    Options
    I think you are normal

Either that or both you and i are totally out to lunch, lol

Motivation is hard to hang on to, for me. I am super charged in the beginning and have great ideas, charge ahead tackling anything that gets in my way. And it works....for a while....then i slow down....get bored....think, oh, one day won't matter...and before you know it, i look around and find not only have i fallen off the wagon, but i lost the dang horse too :laugh:

I have found the thing that works for me is to make a list of the ideas, and try a couple at a time. when i start to notice i am slipping, look to the list again. Same if i come up with another idea...add it to the list. Different things work for different people at different times.

I see some things you are already doing. You have joined mfp, you are thinking positive, and you are breaking a large goal into small, attainable milestones...good for you. Looks like you are going about it with smarts:bigsmile: awesome start.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Tough one. I think a generally accepted motivation is envisioning yourself as you want to be. Get that mental image in your head: How you will look slimmer, standing on the beach and looking great!

Some people are motivated by the idea of doing it for others, such as some posts where one partner is off in Iraq and the other wants to lose weight to surprise them when they return.

For me, the motivation is a bit of everything. I try to take each bit as an affirmation of my efforts adn progress. I have a mental image in my mind of how I will look. Thinking that I really can achieve that makes me work hard at it. Most every self-help book, whether it be oriented toward succes in health or in business all share this theme.

Sometimes I can just stop and consider a particular body part, like my stomache, or my arms, or my 'man boobs' :laugh: and see that I am making progress. That is a reward that I get even though I am still 25 pounds away from my goal weight. My stomache is tighter (though still with a healthy layer of fat). My arms are looking more solid. My 'man boobs' are definitly getting smaller. (They barely jiggle at all, now! :smile: )

(Sheesh, this is almost embarrassing! :blushing: )

And, of course, there is the Scale. Some folks like to avoid daily weigh ins. Personally I prefer them daily. I am aware that I will have weight fluctuations weighing myself that frequently so I am more or less prepared for that, but I see progress more often than not.

The progress motivates me, because I know I am on track. Sometimes, there is a back slide, but that motivates me as well. I will work out a little harder and maybe shave off a few extra calories.

Find what works for you and good luck!!!
  • Savage_Garden
    Options
    I think the best motivation out there for you is the thought of your fiance seeing you as hot as ever and your kids thinking, "Wow, I have a beautiful and sexy mommy!" :)

Family is always the number 1 and primary motivational tools I use when I work out.