Water troubles

Options
I've never been a big water drinker. I do drink it when i'm thirsty but i like coffee more. I don't even drink a lot of coffee anymore either just a couple of mugs a day except on mondays. However i have been making a real effort to drink more water even when i'm not thirsty. This is where the trouble comes in. I have noticed that water makes me wee more. That's fine more water in, more trips to the loo. The problem is that aswell as more trips to the loo i'm also swelling up like a balloon. It was so bad on tuesday i had to take my ring off and could barely bend my fingers.

Last timei drank this much water was after having my baby, the swelling got so bad i couldn't even get shoes on. My skin was all shiny it was stretched so bad. A glass of wine a day for a week helped then, as recommended by a doctor friend. Anyone got any ideas that don't involve alcohol? I haven't been able to work out the calories in wine and it's not on the bottle so i don't want to be drinking it yet.

Replies

• Icount2
    Icount2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Try using apple cider vinager tablets, they help with water retention. I take them every morning along with a glass of water and they seen to help. If I am feeling extra full of water then I will take some again with dinner. They are a huge benefit for digestion too. Hope the suggestion helps.
  • MrsMartin2
    MrsMartin2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can't see what you are eating so it is hard to say. Salt could be the problem, in that case I would say drink more water and try to bring that number down.
  • dori42
    dori42 Posts: 1
    Options
    I took Apple Cider tablets. They work well for water retention and bloating.
    Good Luck!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll look for them tablets.

Sodium is definately not the problem. I rarely go over the 2500 whatever it is this site suggest, most days i don't even go half way.
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    As your body gets accustomed to the increase in the volume of water you are taking in, the trips to the bathroom should cut back. I used to be a HUGE soda addict, and had even convinced myself that because they were diet, I was OK. Now, I have a refillable water bottle that NEVER leaves my side. I drink water pretty much constantly, and do not spend half the day in the bathroom. Perhaps your salt intake is too high? Just a thought. I rarely use salt, even for cooking, which helps with the swelling. Keep drinking the water. It helps the body effectively metabolize the calories you consume. Also, did you know that drinking cold water increases calorie burn over drinking warm? Ice your water, keep drinking, and good luck.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i think if you're having such extreme edema, maybe something is wrong with your heart. i don't want to worry you, but it sounds like you should see your doctor & have a CBC done...
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Also, if alcohol helped, 5 oz of wine has about 105 cals.