Quinoa

Options
I love quinoa and I've been wanting to try making it different ways, just wondering if anyone has any really good suggestions for what to put in it or use it with?

Replies

• rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    bump I'm curious, too!
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump I'm curious, too!

Okay, I'm not sure what the "bump" thing is. I've seen it a lot, but don't totally understand....??
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump:)
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I just cook it in chicken stock (instead of plain water) and then serve it as an alternative to rice with stews and chili.
  • missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can use quinoa in any dish that you would use rice. You can also have it for breakfast warmed up with milk and cinnamon (or you could add fruit too). It is very versatile and very delicious too! I like to make it when we are having grilled chicken and stir fried veggies. Be creative add to it whatever you like! Enjoy!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    bump I'm curious, too!

Okay, I'm not sure what the "bump" thing is. I've seen it a lot, but don't totally understand....??
    It just means Im "bumping " it to the top of the topics list so that it's easier to follow and doesn't get lost in the rest of the posts.
    Plus if I post "bump" or anything at all, it gets placed in My Topics and I can find it even more easily later on.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i actually mixed mine with brown rice, delicious. you can add chicken, tuna fish.
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    You can use quinoa in any dish that you would use rice. You can also have it for breakfast warmed up with milk and cinnamon (or you could add fruit too). It is very versatile and very delicious too! I like to make it when we are having grilled chicken and stir fried veggies. Be creative add to it whatever you like! Enjoy!

Really? I will get some and try this out! I have heard it is the best grain you can eat!
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    I make a turkey & quinoa meatloaf that we really like. I'll also make a serving and mix it with a serving of veggies for a meal for myself when dh works a late shift, often add salsa or some spaghettin sauce to spice it up a bit. It's one of my new favorite foods :smile:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is SOOO good.

I use it in lettuce wraps, in place of rice, and as breakfast for my daughters the other day- mixing quinoa, coconut milk, a handful of walnuts and some shredded coconut on top. They LOVED it!
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've made quinoa myself with pesto which is delis. The cafeteria at my work has this awesome quinoa salad in their salad bar, its cold quinoa with flakes of hard parm cheese, onion, green peppers, and probably oil or other spices, but its pretty good. Unfortunately I don't really know the nutritional facts about it but you can def try to make some time of cold salad like that.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any recipes please post them, I would love to try them. :)
  • brittanymonster
    Options
    I make homemade guacamole and serve it with the quinoa, salsa, and some sour cream.
    It's so delicious, it will actually make you a better person.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is SOOO good.

I use it in lettuce wraps, in place of rice, and as breakfast for my daughters the other day- mixing quinoa, coconut milk, a handful of walnuts and some shredded coconut on top. They LOVED it!

OH My...I think I will have to try that! I know nothing about quinoa but it sounds delish.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy it? I saw one little box in Publix for $6.00. I thought that was too much for such a small amount.
  • mentalbeat
    mentalbeat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like to soak it overnight in pure orange juice, It is a great start to the day for breakfast.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine with chicken broth (no sodium) and lots of lemon juice. I've also made a quinoa salad with chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, red onion, and home made italian dressing. I'm loving all the recipes here though!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I make homemade guacamole and serve it with the quinoa, salsa, and some sour cream.

This is awesome.
  • mrniceguy84
    mrniceguy84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

This is awesome.

post ur recipe :)
  • brittanymonster
    Options

This is awesome.

post ur recipe :)

I stole Alton Brown's recipe, it is as follows:

3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
    1 lime, juiced
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 medium onion, diced
    2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    1 clove garlic, minced

Directions
    In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.