Low cal breakfast sandwich!

Options
I LOOOOVE breakfast sandwiches! I didn't want to give them up, so I made a VERY low cal version, & its filling!

1 Thomas' Bagel Thin (110 cals), toasted
1/4 cup liquid egg whites (30 cal's), scrambled in bowl/microwaved.
1 slice Kraft 2% White American cheese (45 cal's)

185 calories total! wink

Replies

• BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! I just might have to try it. :) Breakfast is hard for me...mornings, YUCK!
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i do something similar but add veggies and use a laughing cow cheese triangle while scrambling the egg*.

*if you put the veggies in the mug and microwave them first for 1 minute you can pour out the water that it is released, then add the eggs. micro for 20 seconds, stir add laughing cow and finish cooking in the micro
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome. I love bagel thins...

Another good low-cal (maybe not extremely healthy) breakfast sandwich is from hungry-girl:

Hungry G's Sausage, Egg 'n Cheese ChickGriddle!

Ingredients:
    1 tsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
    2 1/2 tbsp. sugar-free pancake syrup
    1 1/2 tbsp. whole-wheat flour
    1/4 tsp. baking powder
    1 Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patty (or another low-fat sausage patty with about 80 calories)
    1 slice fat-free American cheese
    1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    Optional: additional sugar-free pancake syrup, for dipping

Directions:
    To make the pancake batter, place butter in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke for 10 seconds, or until melted. Add syrup, flour, and baking powder, and mix thoroughly.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Add batter to form two small pancakes. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes per side, flipping carefully, until golden brown. Then plate and set aside.

Cook sausage patty according to package instructions, either in the microwave or in a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray. Top one pancake with the cheese slice, followed by the sausage patty. Set aside.

Re-spray the skillet and return to medium heat. Pour in egg substitute and allow it to spread out evenly -- do not scramble. Once mostly cooked through, flip and allow it to finish cooking. Gently fold it in half once, and then in half again. Place over the cheese-topped sausage patty, and finish it all off with the remaining pancake. If you like, dunk your ChickGriddle in some syrup. Yum time!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 breakfast sandwich (entire recipe)
    Calories: 210
    Fat: 5g
    Sodium: 834mg
    Carbs: 20g
    Fiber: 2.5g
    Sugars: 2g
    Protein: 22.5g

PointsPlus™ value 5*

COMPARED TO MCDONALD'S MCGRIDDLE:

Serving Size: 1 breakfast sandwich
    Calories: 560
    Fat: 32g
    Sodium: 1,360mg
    Carbs: 48g
    Fiber: 2g
    Sugars: 15g
    Protein: 20g

PointsPlus™ value 15*

The original website is: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1313
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The thomas low sodium low cal english muffins, with 1 tbs 0% greek yogurt, 1 serving egg sub, and the 2% cheese is GREAT!! About the same cals.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Imake the with a sandwich thin, liquid egg, Kaft fat free cheese slice (25 cal) and a Jimmy deans microwavable turkey sausage patty. YUM =)
  • Babcakes
    Babcakes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great breakfast ideas. I will definitely be trying them...thanks for sharing.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I make them at work with a Thomas Light english muffin, liquid egg white in the micro and frozen turkey sausage patty. Yummy! I leave everything at work so it's pretty simple to make.
  • diana77
    diana77 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! really i didn't even bother with breakfast sandwiches anymore didn't want to over do it .....Yay!!! my smile is back. Thank you
  • WendyDemers
    WendyDemers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    mmmmm......I love to make bfast sandwiches. I add 1 piece of turkey bacon. Only 25 calories!
  • SheCantWeight
    SheCantWeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i do something similar but add veggies and use a laughing cow cheese triangle while scrambling the egg*.

*if you put the veggies in the mug and microwave them first for 1 minute you can pour out the water that it is released, then add the eggs. micro for 20 seconds, stir add laughing cow and finish cooking in the micro

That's a good idea! I love the laughing cow cheese wedges, they're good with almost anything. I've put them in pasta makes like a creamy sauce when it melts and on crackers too. I just wanna kiss the person who came up with them!
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't do the whole groceries thing, but Subway's breakfast sandwich on the English Muffin are suprisingly tasty and filling. Ham egg white and cheese is 160 calories. Steak, egg white, and cheese is 170 calories
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    bump

Ok, WTH is "bump"? Are you being rude, or am I missing some code word? :ohwell:
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    mmmmm......I love to make bfast sandwiches. I add 1 piece of turkey bacon. Only 25 calories!

Wendy~AWESOME! I didn't even think of that~ I LOVE bacon!
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    bump
    Someone just told me what "bump" means! LOL! THANKS! :)
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but how do you cook eggs in the microwave? I always want them in the morning but never have time to cook them on the stove!
  • crissa71
    crissa71 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crissa71
    crissa71 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    what does "bump" mean?
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump

And you didn't pass that on? Why not share?
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but how do you cook eggs in the microwave? I always want them in the morning but never have time to cook them on the stove!

1. Spray a small bowl or mug with nonstick cooking spray.
    2. Add a 2 beaten eggs, 2 egg whites or 1/2 cup egg beaters.
    3. Place in the microwave and cover.
    4. Cook for 45 to 90 seconds, depending on what your microwave's watt power is.

Be careful, because it will be HOT!

P.S. The eggs will rise a lot, but don't freak out, they'll go back down!