What's it called???

Options
The other day when we took some paths at the beach for biking I saw a family who was biking. On the back of their bikes was a single "post" sticking out from under the seat. On this post they had something that looked like a soft ice chest or soft lunch box sitting on the post. I was trying to inquire about a trail they were heading out to explore and didn't seem all that chatty so unfortunately I didn't ask them about the pack. I hadn't seen these before.

Does anyone know what this bike accessory is called? I think it would be great to use since we have miles of sand to push through, and the extra water along with our Camelbacks would be appreciated!

And yes, I have googled this for three days without luck!....uggg!!! Anyone?

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    The other day when we took some paths at the beach for biking I saw a family who was biking. On the back of their bikes was a single "post" sticking out from under the seat. On this post they had something that looked like a soft ice chest or soft lunch box sitting on the post. I was trying to inquire about a trail they were heading out to explore and didn't seem all that chatty so unfortunately I didn't ask them about the pack. I hadn't seen these before.

Does anyone know what this bike accessory is called? I think it would be great to use since we have miles of sand to push through, and the extra water along with our Camelbacks would be appreciated!

And yes, I have googled this for three days without luck!....uggg!!! Anyone?
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Here is a website that has a picture of what I think you are looking for. It's pretty far down in the list but it is called the Bike Rack Insulated Cooler. http://www.halcyon.com/donace/BIKING.HTM
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Here is a website that has a picture of what I think you are looking for. It's pretty far down in the list but it is called the Bike Rack Insulated Cooler. http://www.halcyon.com/donace/BIKING.HTM

So I looked at this website out of curiosity and a visual (not much of a biker yet, but I'm working up to it). I just want to know under "Bicycle Helmet Cover" how much do you think they sell the guys on the bikes for. And do they have to come in bulk like the bike award ribbons or can you just order them singularly?
  • FletcherChic
    FletcherChic Posts: 158
    Options
    i was at REI a while back andthink i saw what you are looking for (but i am not a cyclist so i only remember passing by it at the store - didn't really check them out).....check REI's website (i just tried looking but their site is down/slow)...go to cycle...under cycle there is a subgroup called Panniers (don't know what those are but the picture on the site looks like what you are describing)...under Pannniers there are other subgroups:
    Panniers, Bags and Racks
    Bike Cargo Racks
    Handlebar Bags
    Messenger Bags
    Panniers
    Saddle Packs
    Trunk Bags

maybe one of those is what you're looking for.....at the very least it gives you a few terms to use to google what you're looking for.....
    good luck!
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

So I looked at this website out of curiosity and a visual (not much of a biker yet, but I'm working up to it). I just want to know under "Bicycle Helmet Cover" how much do you think they sell the guys on the bikes for. And do they have to come in bulk like the bike award ribbons or can you just order them singularly?

I think those men are "together." They look like a couple.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

Thanks for looking into this with me. That isn't the item I was talking about, but close. The ones I saw were single posts coming from under the seat area. But it had the cooler on it like that, but a tad smaller. I am wondering if it is more of a removable item due to it being under the seat??? They looked pretty sturdy. Humm...still looking! Thanks again!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

I think those men are "together." They look like a couple.

ha! looks like a bad boy band pic.....
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!! WHEWH!!!! Why didn't I just ask several @#$%@#$% days ago!!!

Here is what it looks like:

41E95X5GMNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Here it is in full form with extra support:

439645.jpg

BGAZ2211.gif

Where we ride, it is so hot and there were hurricane damaged palm trees so shade was nearly impossible to find. This pack will be great to bring extra water and munchies for the kids for long rides. Anyway!!! This is going to be a great item and very useful for long rides and easy to take off when it isn't needed. Thanks for your help!!!