Studing My @$$ Off

Options
My sister called the other day and asked what I was doing and I told her I was studying for finals and that I hated that I wasn't getting any workouts in. She said she read that studying accually burned calories...something about extra brain activity. Has any one heard anything on this or was my sister just blowing sunshine up my dress?

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Technically, everything burns calories. Your body burns calories to survive. Have you seen that magical 1200cal/day number everyone around here throws around? That's the rough guideline that's been set up as what your body needs to survive.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Shes blowing a thunderstorm up your dress!
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    Not sure about the burning calories part, but during finals I like to take my notes and walk on the treadmill and read them. Walking helps you memorize (take it from a theatre junkie) and burns calories. Or I'll study with friends and we'll quiz each other and if you get an answer wrong, you have to do like 10 push ups or 20 sit ups or whatever.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    What I find with studying is that I sleep less when i'm studying, so i'm awake longer in the day. This makes me think I should be allowed more calories because sitting at my desk studying must burn more calories than sleeping! MFP should have a place to put in how much you sleep.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you girl, your @$$ will still be there in the morning. LOL
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Technically, everything burns calories. Your body burns calories to survive. Have you seen that magical 1200cal/day number everyone around here throws around? That's the rough guideline that's been set up as what your body needs to survive.

Well I don't know about surviving but I know it's 3500 cal to sustain one pound of fat. Somehow I doubt I'm burning that much learning anatomy and physiology!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Sorry to tell you girl, your @$$ will still be there in the morning. LOL

This from a history teacher who has checked out his fair share of @$$e$ I'm sure. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about surviving but I know it's 3500 cal to sustain one pound of fat. Somehow I doubt I'm burning that much learning anatomy and physiology!

The answer to your question is probably in your text books :D
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Not sure about the burning calories part, but during finals I like to take my notes and walk on the treadmill and read them. Walking helps you memorize (take it from a theatre junkie) and burns calories. Or I'll study with friends and we'll quiz each other and if you get an answer wrong, you have to do like 10 push ups or 20 sit ups or whatever.

I wouldn't get anyone to come study with me if I made them do push ups! LOL
  • Breckgirl
    Options

The answer to your question is probably in your text books :D

You'd think but I think they left that part out!
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Are you laying down? Good, your burning calories. Are you standing up? Good, your burning calories. ANYTHING you do burns calories. Seriously. So if you are doing something, you are burning calories. Because like I said, and you're probably learning in your science classes, your body burns calories to survive. Your body can't function without energy and that includes your internal organs. While it might not be enough to burn off your *kitten*, she's right, you will burn calories by studying. Or laying down. Or sitting. Or standing. Or running. Or sleeping. Or watching tv. You get the idea.
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    No I just read this somewhere!!!!!!She is right actually...It's in one of the Books I just finished reading.Ugghhhh was reading a few at the same time plus School studying too.Let me see if I can fast track and find it.Some Dr. did write it though?!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    No I just read this somewhere!!!!!!She is right actually...It's in one of the Books I just finished reading.Ugghhhh was reading a few at the same time plus School studying too.Let me see if I can fast track and find it.Some Dr. did write it though?!

WOW! That's cool. If you could put your hands on it again let me know.
  • Breckgirl
    Options

Are you laying down? Good, your burning calories. Are you standing up? Good, your burning calories. ANYTHING you do burns calories. Seriously. So if you are doing something, you are burning calories. Because like I said, and you're probably learning in your science classes, your body burns calories to survive. Your body can't function without energy and that includes your internal organs. While it might not be enough to burn off your *kitten*, she's right, you will burn calories by studying. Or laying down. Or sitting. Or standing. Or running. Or sleeping. Or watching tv. You get the idea.

Now there a workout I can get behind...just living! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: