warrior dash

Options
I seen where they are bringing the Warrior Dash here in July. I am thinking seriously about sign'n up. I am in reasonbly good shape but have not done much running. Anybody gone in one that can give me some idea of what I'm looking at or what to expect/prepare for?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for my first warrior dash at the end of April. My overweight cousin, 30 years old female, over 200 lbs (I think 220 or 230 when she did the warrior dash) did this event last spring. From her blog she had this to say:

4. The Warrior Dash is by far the hardest thing that I have ever done. Remember that I had a parasite in another country and I still count this being harder. I didn't train right for this, I thought that since I had been doing 5K's monthly, that it would be fine. I felt so good about myself once I crossed the finish line, but it also was an awakening of how unhealthy my body was. I had been running/jogging all of these races, but I was carrying around so much weight while doing them.

If you feel you are in 'ok' shape, it will be tough. AND FUN! The website suggested to train by running. Running every day as fast as you can go :smile: hehe

this is gonna be so fun, i'm looking forward to it so much!
  • superjarrod1616
    superjarrod1616 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am in. We can get a bunch of people to sign up and do it together
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I did the one in the Rockies last summer and I'm already signed up for Aug. 2011.

It is a great, great time and you won't regret doing it. People of all shapes, sizes and ages do it. Mine was at an altitude of 10,000 ft and so there were a lot of walkers (and even me, who runs @ 5,280 ft regularly had to walk part of it when it went up the mountain).

As far as training, well, that's kind of hard, unless you have hay bales, tire fields, junk cars, etc. around you to train on Just practice running (or walking the distance) Honestly, I did not find the obstacles to be that hard...it's more fun than anything else and the Viking hat makes it all totally worth it.

(if you go to You Tube and search Warrior Dash rockies, some guy did the race last summer with a camera on his head if you want to see how the obstacles were laid out for us last year)

Good Luck!
    Lisa
  • lillieme
    lillieme Posts: 15
    Options
    I have done three of them. They are awesome. Anyone can do it. It is all interval training, so if you do interval training you will be fine. If you are a jogger, it might be difficult because you can't maintain a pace. I love it and do it while drinking beer! Great times!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first one here in New England. I am super excited, but know it isn't going to be a walk in the park for me.
  • mikerudy1
    Options
    The local Warrior Dash for me is in June. I'm just starting Couch-To-5k with the goal of running a 5k on Mother's Day. If I can do that, my "reward" is to sign up for this.

I won't lie - the Viking hat swag is a motivator. :)
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh this looks like fun!!