Does Fear Burn Calories?

Options
Last night I went for a bike ride. I waited until after 9 p.m., until the temp cooled down to about 85 / 90 degrees so that I didn't roast to death. To avoid traffic, I went back in the fields where the tractors have made a kind of road going back and forth. Well, it started to get dark, and having recently watched a show about UFO's and aliens, I started to get all creeped out. Doesn't that always happen in the middle of wheat fields!?!? So I started to head back, with my heart already racing, and hit the corn fields (now DARK outside) and could only think of that 'jeepers creepers' thing jumping out of the corn fields! I don't have a heart rate monitor, but if I did, I'm quite certain it would be broken. Does this count as extra calories burned? :smile:

Replies

• Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Last night I went for a bike ride. I waited until after 9 p.m., until the temp cooled down to about 85 / 90 degrees so that I didn't roast to death. To avoid traffic, I went back in the fields where the tractors have made a kind of road going back and forth. Well, it started to get dark, and having recently watched a show about UFO's and aliens, I started to get all creeped out. Doesn't that always happen in the middle of wheat fields!?!? So I started to head back, with my heart already racing, and hit the corn fields (now DARK outside) and could only think of that 'jeepers creepers' thing jumping out of the corn fields! I don't have a heart rate monitor, but if I did, I'm quite certain it would be broken. Does this count as extra calories burned? :smile:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    yes! lol
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

You do burn more when you're heart rate is up--but I don't think fear counts. Not sure though! :tongue:

I had my HRM on the other day when I was biking and all of sudden these dogs came at me--caught me off guard and scared the you-know-what out of me! I took off down the road! Looked at my HRM, and my HR had jumped from 135 to 190 in about .5 seconds.
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Then does frustration burn calories also? I can't get caught up on laundry and dishes....3 kids might have something to do with that....I guess if frustration burned calories all the moms in the world would be runway model material!

:happy: Life is always in progress!
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    If it does count then I need to go for more car rides with my husband. :sad: I would be skinny as a rail! Every time I am in the car with him and he is driving I am scared to death, Literally. :cry: I have had 2 serious panic attacks in the car with him. :noway: The first time freaked me out because I had never had a panic attack. Now I just try to not look, :indifferent: but then I can still feel the car and I look. It isn't so much his driving (yes it is) as it is about my not being in control, I would rather drive across country than to be passanger. :huh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    LMBO

I CANNOT watch scary movies or ghostie tv shows late at night, ESPECIALLY by myself or I get freaked out too! After watching the move, The Ring, I made my husband clear out the bathroom before I'd go in, afraid the little girl (that comes out of the tv in the movie) would come out of the tub after me! :laugh:

I'd say fear burns calories!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    LMBO omg I'm not alone!

I am the biggest baby!!! I can only watch horror during the day and then I usually sleep w/ a lite on LOL....sigh!

Reading about you thinking jeepers creepers guy coming out after you gave me the goosebumps!

vivid imaginations have pros and cons huh?! lol

hugs!
    ali
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    LMBO omg I'm not alone!

I am the biggest baby!!! I can only watch horror during the day and then I usually sleep w/ a lite on LOL....sigh!

Reading about you thinking jeepers creepers guy coming out after you gave me the goosebumps!

hugs!
    ali

LOL...I watch way too much horror.....and I use my daughter's night lite if I am at home alone when I go to sleep! :embarassed: Glad to know someone else does too!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    LMBO omg I'm not alone!

hugs!
    ali

LOL...I watch way too much horror.....and I use my daughter's night lite if I am at home alone when I go to sleep! :embarassed: Glad to know someone else does too!
    when I watched the exorcism of emily rose, I woke up at 3 am and just stared at the clock I could not sleep after. Those are the only kinda movies that scare me. The demonic possesion kind, I have no idea why. Once my buddy wanted to watch the exorcist and I was almost ion tears. but other than that bring on da fear!!!!!
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I have a hard time watching them also. My daughter watches them all of the time, she even has movie days when her friends would come over and they would watch them. But I usually leave the room at intense moments, I can't watch it. My daughter thought 13 Gosts was more funny than anything and the first time I saw it I freaked out and sort of watched it from the other end of the house. The suspense kills me.
    Glad my daughter got a great laugh at me.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I can't watch scary movies any more after I watched the exorcists years ago. :noway: Took me forever to be able to finally go to bed without being scared. Now I'm a big ole scaredy cat. :frown:
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am a total scaredy cat...especially with horror movies. I watched the Omen in high school (circa 1990), and haven't watched a scary movie since! Two other biggies on my list: snakes and clowns. Yikes!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I can't watch scary movies any more after I watched the exorcists years ago. :noway: Took me forever to be able to finally go to bed without being scared. Now I'm a big ole scaredy cat. :frown:

lol, i saw the excorcists in the cinema when they unbanned it a good few years ago, thought it was funny lol