body fat %. Where are you and what do you want to be?

Options
I was by GNC and they got this new matchine that measures your weigh and body fat %. I was like "OH COOL! SOMEONE GIVE ME A DOLLAR!" and i got my results.
:grumble:

i mean i knew i would be bad but 39% bad? YIKES!

im 5foot5inches and at 205-209. Where should i be?

I think i am going to go back every month.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I've read that for women it should be less than 28%. I'll have to check out a GNC store, I've never had a body fat test.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere around 13-14%. I'm headed for sub 10%. Women should be in the low 20% for normal.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I am at 24.1 right now and when I reach my goal weight I will be between 22.9 - 21.9
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why are you going to GNC to calculate it (and pay for that service)? MFP has a BMI calculator. It also tells you the healthy range. Look under the "TOOLS" tab.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    24. i want to be 20. lean and muscular like jillian michaels

ps..GYMS usually have that electrical resistance body fat tester. and its free. i use the one at the Y.
    and body fat is way different than BMI..BMI is a useful tool in some ways, but is really pointless, as someone who is fit and muscular can have a higher bmi, indicating they are overweight/fat when in reality they are fit. its really a horrible thing we need to move away from, since many people who are bodybuilder types are denied health insurance because of it. we should go on body fat % instead.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'5". Right now I weigh 138 pounds. My body fat was last calculated at 26%, but I think it is actually lower than that now, I just haven't re-tested lately. In my profile picture, I was at 128 pounds and 20% body fat. My goal weight is actually 125 pounds, and I would LOVE to have about a 26-27" inch waist at that point. My calculator that I use for body fat has that goal at around 18%.

I want to have a sleek, muscular, athletic and toned look. Obviously if you don't want that, if you simply want to be lose weight, then your goal will be higher. The calculator I use states that "lean" is under 18%, "ideal/healthy" is 18-26%, average is 26-32%, and 33% and up is overweight. This is for females between 30-39 years old. All charts and calculators vary slightly, though.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Why are you going to GNC to calculate it (and pay for that service)? MFP has a BMI calculator. It also tells you the healthy range. Look under the "TOOLS" tab.

BMI and body fat % are 2 different calculations. I don't trust BMI at all. The Rock, as gorgeous as that muscular man is, is OBESE according to BMI, but very lean according to body fat calculations.
  • cacrat
    Options
    BMI and body fat are not the same thing. According to BMI I am also overweight.

EDIT: she ^^^ beat me to it
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Curves has a hand held do-hickey that measures your BMI and Body Fat. I don't know if it is the same thing you used.
    :tongue: For the first 3 months that I was at Curves (they do your Weight & Measurements once a month) the machine would not even register my Body Fat. Finally on the 4th month it read 49.3%
    :drinker: In October 2011 my BMI registered at 28.7. I will take it!!
  • cacrat
    Options
    Electrical impedance, the hand held Curves doo hickey, is the cheapest and easiest way to do it. They have them at nearly every gym.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been using the US Navy formula for calculating my BF % (haven't made it to a gym) and I'm at 27%. My goal is 13%. Very low for a girl i know
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My scale measures body fat and water %. Mine was 34% this morning. I'd like to get it under 30. (The water one was fine, high 40s)
  • lk227
    lk227 Posts: 28
    Options
    According to my scale (I wish that it would be totally inaccurate..lol) I have 38.9% body fat. I am 5' 7" and weigh 193lbs. I would like to be around 24%.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Right now i weigh 122lbs, im 5'3" and my body fat per my scale is 19% and per my calipers 18% i would like to be about 16%!!!
  • briarashley
    Options
    24. i want to be 20. lean and muscular like jillian michaels

ps..GYMS usually have that electrical resistance body fat tester. and its free. i use the one at the Y.
    and body fat is way different than BMI..BMI is a useful tool in some ways, but is really pointless, as someone who is fit and muscular can have a higher bmi, indicating they are overweight/fat when in reality they are fit. its really a horrible thing we need to move away from, since many people who are bodybuilder types are denied health insurance because of it. we should go on body fat % instead.

I agree, bmi told me im overweight
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Dancer77- I think 13% is too low a goal to aim for, as a female. I know it sounds great, and I can completely understand where you're coming from cos I was in the dance world too, but it's unhealthily low. Once you start getting down to the low teens in body fat, for a female, you start actually creating problems for yourself because we're not designed to get that low. Not unless you want a miserable life eating egg whites, chicken breasts and broccoli for the rest of your dancing career. You want to be a strong, healthy dancer who can dance well, not one confined to the corps because she's not actually strong enough to do what she loves. Please just be sensible and realistic.